We Lost, Then What?

Yah-E

Bulieve
Reaction score
OK, just getting this out there, how would you feel or what do you think our 2022 season’s focus should be if we lose to ILL?

IF a loss to ILL, we’d be at 4-2 overall & 1-2 in conference play, you still think we have a shot at the West with PSU, Iowa & Wis left? You would think Rutgers, Nebraska, and NW should all be Ws but those certainly aren’t guaranteed.

If we lose to ILL, then personally I like to see us winning all of our trophy games (bell, chair, pig, axe) and we’d be with minimally 8 wins. I’d think that would be a semi-successful respectable season!

I’m just preparing myself for Saturday and trying to tell myself that it will be OK if we lose on Saturday! I need to calm myself now and have low expectations.

What say you? Would you be OK if we lose on Saturday?

facepalm.gif

Still keep grinding for the West. Big game coming up the following week against Penn State that could make us forget the (hypothetical) loss quickly.

Otherwise, an 8-win type regular season may not be the stuff dreams are made of, but it's better than a lot of seasons we've had.

Still keep grinding for the West. Big game coming up the following week against Penn State that could make us forget the (hypothetical) loss quickly.

Otherwise, an 8-win type regular season may not be the stuff dreams are made of, but it's better than a lot of seasons we've had.
5 out of our last 8 full length seasons had af least 8 wins.

Before anyone jumps down my throat for excluding the COViD year, I'm not doing it because I think those results should be excluded from anyone's record, but as an objective matter, we didn't even play 8 games so we could not possibly have had an 8 win season.

OK, just getting this out there, how would you feel or what do you think our 2022 season’s focus should be if we lose to ILL?

IF a loss to ILL, we’d be at 4-2 overall & 1-2 in conference play, you still think we have a shot at the West with PSU, Iowa & Wis left? You would think Rutgers, Nebraska, and NW should all be Ws but those certainly aren’t guaranteed.

If we lose to ILL, then personally I like to see us winning all of our trophy games (bell, chair, pig, axe) and we’d be with minimally 8 wins. I’d think that would be a semi-successful respectable season!

I’m just preparing myself for Saturday and trying to tell myself that it will be OK if we lose on Saturday! I need to calm myself now and have low expectations.

If is only because of your established credibility that the board is not going after you for this post. I know you are rowing.

💩 👖

Questions like this make me have to ask; How many posters here walk out the front door every morning wondering if this is the day they get robbed on the way to work. Then make a Termination-worthy mistake at work, and then get hit by a bus on the way home? Hoping that today is not that day for everybody! Keep a positive outlook gang!

Questions like this make me have to ask; How many posters here walk out the front door every morning wondering if this is the day they get robbed on the way to work. Then make a Termination-worthy mistake at work, and then get hit by a bus on the way home? Hoping that today is not that day for everybody! Keep a positive outlook gang!
Well said.....just the way some people are wired. Gopherhole has taught me that I am an optimist, at least as far as sports are concerned.

You see it all the time in here where you get threads complaining/worrying about things before they even happen. How the media is going to react when we win, the lack of respect we are going to get, or in this case already planning for what we should do after we lose.

Just enjoy the ride. Nothing any of us does or says here is going to change the outcomes on Saturdays, and there is little to no point in preemptively worrying about something before it even happens.

Well said.....just the way some people are wired. Gopherhole has taught me that I am an optimist, at least as far as sports are concerned.

You see it all the time in here where you get threads complaining/worrying about things before they even happen. How the media is going to react when we win, the lack of respect we are going to get, or in this case already planning for what we should do after we lose.

Just enjoy the ride. Nothing any of us does or says here is going to change the outcomes on Saturdays, and there is little to no point in preemptively worrying about something before it even happens.
Being a realist and complaining before things happen are two different things.

Just wondering what all y’all will think if we lose, that’s all?

Bad bad ju-ju or being a Debbie Downer, just saying we can lose at any given Saturday and after our Purdue disgrace and how decent of a team ILL is this year, not unrealistic that we lose.

If repping the West is out after a loss to ILL, what’s your thoughts on the rest of the season?

I hope we win, but I hoped too much two weeks ago and that really pissed me off as a fan and team supporter. I’m just trying to not hype myself up for tomorrow and hope the team will pull out a W! To do just that, I am projecting that they’ll lose for my own sanity and maybe they’ll win! 🙏

Being a realist and complaining before things happen are two different things.

Just wondering what all y’all will think if we lose, that’s all?

Bad bad ju-ju or being a Debbie Downer, just saying we can lose at any given Saturday and after our Purdue disgrace and how decent of a team ILL is this year, not unrealistic that we lose.

If repping the West is out after a loss to ILL, what’s your thoughts on the rest of the season?

I hope we win, but I hoped too much two weeks ago and that really pissed me off as a fan and team supporter. I’m just trying to not hype myself up for tomorrow and hope the team will pull out a W! To do just that, I am projecting that they’ll lose for my own sanity and maybe they’ll win! 🙏
To each their own I'm just not wired to think this way.

I love sports and spend way too much time following it and in the case of Gopherhole discussing it. But I also keep a pretty decent detachment from it. Learned a long time ago that you can't get too high after a win or too low after a loss.

Going to be a crazy ride over the next few months. Hopefully when it is all said and done we find ourselves at the top fo the heap in the West but nothing we do or say here is going to affect what ends up happening so may as well just get as much enjoyment out of it as you can.

Not specifically aimed at you but I do wonder why some even bother with sports because it seems to get them so upset.

Good luck to all, may there be no injuries and may the better team win.

This is only a college football game. The sun would shine again. I would still bleed Maroon & Gold.

I am really quite sure that the coaches and players are ready, willing and able to go play their best on Saturday. They are my team, win or lose. I have a good feeling about this season. I think the Gopher victory can be obtained on Saturday. Full steam ahead and let the chips fall where they may. Friday on Big Ten football weekends is meant to convey the excitement, the jitters and to recall the range of emotions from having experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat that most mortal Big Ten football fans experience.

Beat the stinking Illini, Gopher.

Last edited:

5 out of our last 8 full length seasons had af least 8 wins.

Before anyone jumps down my throat for excluding the COViD year, I'm not doing it because I think those results should be excluded from anyone's record, but as an objective matter, we didn't even play 8 games so we could not possibly have had an 8 win season.

Agreed. I usually skip the pandemic season too when evaluating a team's recent history.

Not specifically aimed at you but I do wonder why some even bother with sports because it seems to get them so upset.

Well said. I think that may be due to lack of diversification of entertainment and/or life interests. I guess feeling that way could also be a result of living a life without much of a history of sad or difficult personal experiences. If a Gopher loss is the worst thing to happen in your recent life, then life must be pretty good.

Well said. I think that may be due to lack of diversification of entertainment and/or life interests. I guess feeling that way could also be a result of living a life without much of a history of sad or difficult personal experiences. If a Gopher loss is the worst thing to happen in your recent life, then life must be pretty good.
I see it with the Vikings a lot. There are some people legit down for a while after a Vikings loss. I mean I get it, it sucks when your team loses, but it shouldn't stick with you or bleed over into the rest of your life.

I guess that what fandom is all about! I’ve dumped thousands into this team so I like to believe that I am more “invested”. Also our fucking team does shit like they do to us, i.e. have everything lined up to take, then fuck it all up to make it more challenging. I can see if we lost to tOSU or Georgia, but to fucking Purdue? At Homecoming? We fucking striped out for you man! 😆

I guess I’ll just view and treat this team like how I view and treat my crypto (Bitcoin) investments, they should grow, but they don’t. People say they’ll grow, but it don’t. Maybe I just need to stop investing (sigh).

Hey, I’m going to be OK with a loss tomorrow!

Just

Keep the Bell
Keep the Chair
Get the Pig
Keep the Axe!

To me, I’ll be happy with our 2022 season! 🙌

The thought experiment I run sometimes is what if the wins/losses are the same but they play out in a different order. If we lost to purdue and illinois at the end of the B1G conference season instead of the beginning, but were undefeated going in (meaning we beat WI/Iowa/PSU etc), would we be so low about losing to Purdue? Would Illinois really be that big of a game?

Top Bottom