We haven't won at Northwestern in four years

Blizzard

Reaction score
Can we please turn that around tonight.

That is all.

Beat the 1-3-1 zone and we win. The Cats play that defense better than anyone. They threw it on Indiana in the second half at Welsh-Ryan and the Hoosiers lost their double digit lead. At one point Northwestern had it down to 6 points. Illinois also had trouble with it, and that is why they got beat in Champaign. This is a game that Mav should not see the floor. I would sub strictly with JW
What the Gophers have to do is not dribble into the trap. They need to pass the ball before they hit the half-court line.

If I remember correctly, Northwestern only threw the 1-3-1 at the Gophers in The Barn for a possession or two when they were in town earlier this year. In fact, I don't recall them deploying it in large amounts for a couple years, which is strange because it always was effective. It'll be more about destroying them in transition and not letting them slow the game down.

If the Gophers can be patient and move the ball without turnovers they should eventually get into the paint and get to the rim for easy shots and putbacks. If they settle for too many 3's I fear it'll play into the hands of NW. We usually don't shoot as well on the road and and are probably due for an off shooting night. I hope Tubby has them attacking the basket. Dre, Austin and Coleman have to beat their men off the dribble and get into the paint and casue havoc. If we can get a 10 to 12 point lead, it will really hurt their ability to play slowly in the 2nd half.

As usual, taking care of the ball should be the top priority. Attacking the basket # 2.

If I remember correctly, Northwestern only threw the 1-3-1 at the Gophers in The Barn for a possession or two when they were in town earlier this year.

You're correct on that one - very little 1-3-1 up in the Barn, which seemed a bit odd for Northwestern. Clearly, the game unraveled for the Wildcats in the second half. Knowing the results of the last game and how effective the zone has been in the past few games, would be surprised not to see a heavy dose of it tonight.

If I remember correctly, Northwestern only threw the 1-3-1 at the Gophers in The Barn for a possession or two when they were in town earlier this year. In fact, I don't recall them deploying it in large amounts for a couple years, which is strange because it always was effective. It'll be more about destroying them in transition and not letting them slow the game down.

In looking back at the last 4 losses in Welsh-Ryan ( DVR) they used it I'm going to say about
40% of the time after they had made a basket. Drew Crawford was a better defender in it than Sobiliski, but they still do a great job with it.

In these next two games, Gophers absolutley need to get out to fast starts. Make them play catch up, which will not allow them to play their slow down style.

Beat the 1-3-1 zone and we win. The Cats play that defense better than anyone. They threw it on Indiana in the second half at Welsh-Ryan and the Hoosiers lost their double digit lead. At one point Northwestern had it down to 6 points. Illinois also had trouble with it, and that is why they got beat in Champaign. This is a game that Mav should not see the floor. I would sub strictly with JW
What the Gophers have to do is not dribble into the trap. They need to pass the ball before they hit the half-court line.

I'm hoping mav, welch, Ingram, EE, mo, oto all play about 15 min in the second half because we are blowing them out of the water!

Northwestern looked so bad against the Gophers in the first matchup. I hope that is the case again tonight.

You're correct on that one - very little 1-3-1 up in the Barn, which seemed a bit odd for Northwestern.

Our guys ripped it apart easily for two or three extremely quick and easy baskets in that game. Gone. Whatever they did, do it again.

All we need to do is use the hockey line change several times during the game and we win big.

j/k

They used the 1-3-1 once at The Barn. It was the play with the ridiculous missed put-back dunk by Austin. Oddly it forced a not very good shot, and never returned.

NU actually got the lead down to 5 against Indiana. Sobolewski plays under the basket in the 1-3-1 like Juice Thompson did; Crawford played a wing. They have not played a lot of 1-3-1 this year but with the success they had against IU I suspect they will use it extensively tonight. The key to NU playing well this year has been Swopshire; when he plays well the Cats can play with anyone.

2013 - 2008 = 5

Well yeah, technically it has been almost 5 years, but clearly he meant we haven't beaten them in four tries since that victory, since we've played there every year I believe. It's also why I don't care how they get it done, they just need to win this game and keep the losing streaks to a minimum.

2013 - 2008 = 5

We haven't played the 2013 game at Northwestern yet.

I'm optimistic we'll stop that streak tonight.

Not a difficult trivia question, probably no research needed, but name the 3 Big Ten arenas Tubby has yet to win a game.

Well done.

Let's knock at least 1 or 2 of those off the list later this season.

It helps to have the offensive player playing the baseline available to get open 3's in the corners. Sometimes our shorter players out top have had issues seeing the passing lanes over defenders in the past: Mav, Welch, Andre. I would probably have Dre and Coleman out top, with Rodney and Trevor, running from low to high post, setting picks and looking for dump downs. I would run Austin along the baseline to the weakside for wide open 3's. Post players with good face up games can get wide open 12 ft shots. Trevor has started to hit that shot of late. Like any zone getting the ball to the free throw line area and looking opposite is usually a wide open 3 or an alley oop or layup. I hated playing against a 1-3-1. You have to be patient and then when the opening comes you have to be aggressive. Not easy for young players to gauge that.

The other weakness of the 1-3-1 is at times you have 4 players away from the rim and a short guy under the basket to rebound. We need to make them pay on the boards. So a bad shot is better than a force against this defense as we may get more than half the misses.

I'm hoping mav, welch, Ingram, EE, mo, oto all play about 15 min in the second half because we are blowing them out of the water!

Exactly. Hope the bench gets a ton of minutes. I would like to see a big lead and then see welch, Wally, Mav, Mo and Oto have a good 8 to 9 minute run as long as things are put away.

Top Bottom