We have too Many Distractions

There is 100% truth in what he says. He maybe added the lack of distractions also allowed him to study and concentrate on getting an education.
The Twin Cities has a lot of distractions compared to the college town campuses. Also, when Ray went to school there wasn't cell phones and social media...they can be a distraction anywhere with cell service for people today.
BUT, today times are different....Ray's comments ring true for old school people but today's students have all grown up with a million distractions. I think it is a non factor for today's students. They have grown up learning to deal with distractions.

There's definitely something to that. Being able to pursue goals without distractions is a big help to success.

But, I think recruiting and coaching also have to be added to the mix.

After all, the lack of distractions doesn't seem to be helping UCONN's football teams.

There's definitely something to that. Being able to pursue goals without distractions is a big help to success.

But, I think recruiting and coaching also have to be added to the mix.

After all, the lack of distractions doesn't seem to be helping UCONN's football teams.
They pretty much sacrificed the football team to get back into the Big East and save the basketball program.

Suppose about the only schools from major metropolitan areas to have won it all, Villanova, Georgetown, UCLA? Would Louisville be a major metro? Syracuse?

Cliff's Notes: A driven OCD athlete did not want to be distracted by things outside basketball.

Would love to win national championship. Just more excuses why we dont win here. We can win here. Get it done. Start with hiring a homerun coach.

Yeah, my point is feeble. Not sure how in the world I missed Loyola. Didn’t list CCNY because it was before even my time.

CCNY is real oldie! The tournament had only 8 teams then

Here's another metro winner that's old (although not as much as CCNY): San Francisco with Bill Russell.

Here's another metro winner that's old (although not as much as CCNY): San Francisco with Bill Russell.
So true.
I’m getting way off track here. Did you know Frank Robinson was a high school teammate of Bill Russell? Also, I believe Vada Pinson attended the school for a year or so while those two were there.

Last edited:

Ah, The Dons!

You think kids in Storrs don't drink/use recreational "substances", etc. just because it's out in the middle of nowhere?

:sneaky:

It's called "house party". Or "frat party". Etc.

I'm sure they have a couple huge bars out there too. They certainly do at Penn State, which is another middle of nowhere place.

The SEC schools are massive party schools.

If you're worried about distractions for college kids, those are the places you'd be worried about. They seem to do fine in sports.

I really doubt the U is considered to be a super major party school.

Good for Ray to say what he said, and I'm sure it really was like that for him and his (mental) process. Fine and well.

But you can choose to block those things out and be dedicated like that, anywhere.

Top Bottom