We have severe matchup problems with Belein

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
Tubby's defense and Belein's offense doesn't mix well and Tubby will almost always end up on the losing side. I hate to say, but Michigan is probably going to be the one team that beats the Gophers most everytime. Until we get a huge a talent influx to offset Belein, we will continue to lose. We can beat any other team in the Big 10 except Michigan.

Tubby's defense and Belein's offense doesn't mix well and Tubby will almost always end up on the losing side. I hate to say, but Michigan is probably going to be the one team that beats the Gophers most everytime. Until we get a huge a talent influx to offset Belein, we will continue to lose. We can beat any other team in the Big 10 except Michigan.

I think you are right. They were caught out of position almost every time on defense. Watching the way the Gophers play defense I am surprised it does't happen more often. Has Tubby beaten Michigan yet.

I know he beat them once, maybe twice. That's it. I hope Michigan is one of the teams that we only play once next year.

Ummmm, Tubby is 0-11 vs. MSU and Purdue.

But I think the point being made is that we have played some very good games against some very good msu and purdue teams and come up just short (and played well against other teams at times too obviously). On the other hand we have usually played dreadfully and often been non-competitive against some very mediocre michigan teams.

True Art but we certainly have played better against the far superiorly talented MSU and Purdue than the inferior MI team.

I think we will see as our talent improves and we mature...we will win the big games...we just might not beat MI unless we do some serious film work...

I agree, we have severe match-up problems with Mich. We have no one that can guard a player like Sims one on one, therefore we must 'sag' on him leaving perimeter players open. Add to that we have no one to guard Harris one on one with the loss of AN. Mich offense is predicated on getting open 3's and they have players good enough to make them(especially when wide open). Once Mich starts hitting those 3's and/or Sims scoring inside at will, the Gophers(with a very fragile psyche) looked stunned and lost.

Gophs swept Michigan in Tubby's 1st year

The Gophers swept Michigan in Tubby's first year. Michigan has won the last 4.

The Gophers will play the same two teams once next season (Badgers & Illinois), flip-flopping the location.

I think its a combination of not being able to handle harris and sims, helping defend them, which leaves there unathletic 3pt shooters open. This and they are really good at pick and roll and back cutting. The back cuts against our ball man defense are a killer. But with the crappy effort no defensive plan was going to work last night.

First of all, Michigan was a consensus preseason top 25. Some of noteworthy reasons were that they had athletes, a couple of stud players, and Beilein's offense. They were assuming that Michigan would improve 3 pt shooting. If realized, Michigan would have been a very good team. But, it did not. They have struggled greatly even knocking down wide open 3's all season long. Without the success from the perimeter, their real weapon, penetration, cannot be effective. Hence, their half-court offense has been no show most of times. That is their downfall.

However, due to the fact that they have athletes and star players, they have a good transition game and offer some match-up problems. It happens to be us and our style of ball that are rather vulnerable to their games. Because of our half-court offense, we tend to up the tempo to their liking. I'll say, Michigan is better off from it.

And, our offense has had problems against 1-3-1 because we are not good at backdoor cuts and low post game with which you beat 1-3-1 without dribble drive offense. Michigan's 1-3-1 was effective against us this season.

And, there is the luck factor. We don't have personnel to defend Beilein's offense effectively. Hence, one logical option is to crowd out the inside and dare them to shoot from the perimeter. It worked for other teams. But, somehow, Michigan made a few shots early against us from the perimeter, which, believe me, is not very normal for them. There are some more things about this. But, it would suffice to say, the few shots they made really opened up their game.

Bad match-up and some luck.

As bad as our year has been, Michigan's has been worse.

If you look at their record, compared to what they brought back from last year and pre-season expectations/hype, I'm surprised some in Ann Arbor haven't jumped out of their dorm windows.

As bad as our year has been, Michigan's has been worse.

If you look at their record, compared to what they brought back from last year and pre-season expectations/hype, I'm surprised some in Ann Arbor haven't jumped out of their dorm windows.

It's all the fault of the Mich. AD.

Top Bottom