We have a game Saturday

I have to completely disagree on the USD game. The defense gave up 41 points! Weber was 21/31 for 258 yards, three touchdowns and no picks. And think of all of the balls he put right on the money that his receivers flat out dropped. Weber was not the problem.

21/31...perhaps you missed HOW WIDE OPEN THE RECEIVERS WERE ALL GAME? Just curious if you missed that part of the equation. My 3 year old nephew could have gone 21/31 against USD.

When you listed the factors in a numerical order I assumed that the first factor listed was the most important and the last the least important. If that was not your intention, my bad. I'll agree that Weber's play as a whole has been lacking this year but cannot put any culpability for the USD debacle on his shoulders. It just wasn't has fault on that day.

How many points did the Gophers put up against USD in the first half? How many turnovers did Weber commit during the game? How open were the receivers all game. The guy sucks, and the team loses confidence because of how bad he sucks. Very few teams in the history of the game have ever succeeded with a terrible quarterback; Baltimore and Trent Dilfer being the only one I can ever actually recall. The QB is THE most important player on the team, and his play, his body language, and his confidence sets the tone for the entire team.

Yeah Weber threw for some TDs late and did OK (not great) against a very porous defense late in the game during desperation time. But the fact of the matter is, Weber DID very much affect the position that the Gophers were in - playing major catchup to a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty team. There is no excuse to only have 10 points at half against that poor defense. None. There actually was very little excuse not to put up at least 50 points that game. Do you think that the fact that USD put ~8 men in the box often that first half had nothing to do with the fact that our QB can't pass, run, or scramble? Seriously? How about USC - do you really think they could have played 8 and 9 in the box if our QB was any sort of a threat? *shakes head in disbelief*

How many points did the Gophers put up against USD in the first half? How many turnovers did Weber commit during the game? How open were the receivers all game. The guy sucks, and the team loses confidence because of how bad he sucks. Very few teams in the history of the game have ever succeeded with a terrible quarterback; Baltimore and Trent Dilfer being the only one I can ever actually recall. The QB is THE most important player on the team, and his play, his body language, and his confidence sets the tone for the entire team.

Yeah Weber threw for some TDs late and did OK (not great) against a very porous defense late in the game during desperation time. But the fact of the matter is, Weber DID very much affect the position that the Gophers were in - playing major catchup to a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty team. There is no excuse to only have 10 points at half against that poor defense. None. There actually was very little excuse not to put up at least 50 points that game. Do you think that the fact that USD put ~8 men in the box often that first half had nothing to do with the fact that our QB can't pass, run, or scramble? Seriously? How about USC - do you really think they could have played 8 and 9 in the box if our QB was any sort of a threat? *shakes head in disbelief*

So do the points count for only one half or for the whole game? And if his receivers catch the balls that he put right on the money he is 25/31 with four touchdowns and no picks and has put at least 45 points on the board. But you are right, I'm sure you're three year old nephew could have done better. What should he have completed? 28/31? 31/31? 35/31?

Think about these portions of your statement:

The staff thinks he is the best QB on the team, regardless of the expert (and unending) analysis on this board. I'm going to trust the coaches on this one.

I would want the coach to stand behind and be loyal to his players and his choices "blindly" although I would substitute the word unfailingly.

The players elect the captain, not the coaches. So enough of the players think highly enough of him to elect him captain.

Point one about the staff, either they have no clue as evidenced by recruiting the second best dual threat QB and after two years he is a wide reciever. Either he was not what the coaches thought he was, they haven't developed him, or the most recent incarnation of pounding rock has him in a position he was not recruited for. And viola wide reciever. This has been worst use of talent in recent memory. That's on the coaches.

Point 2 its not unfailingly, its blindly. How many times can you stand to see a QB bouncing on his toes, scanning the field, and throwing late over the middle? How many, and the coaching staff is blind to the turnovers. Picks, fumbles, and self initiated sacks. It all goes on and on. I don't fault Weber he cann't do it any better. Sure he may throw for more yards than any QB in Minnesota history, but that is little consulation when we cannot find a way to put points on the board. Yet the fans, coaches point to Grey being not ready because of the fumble against Iowa State last year. Seems the coaches see what they want to see.

Having voted, it generally is the top 3 or 4 players nominated. The vote is split several ways. To say by virtue of his being elected a Captain for the 3rd year that the entire team is behind him is questionable. Maybe better to say there might be some on the team, who rightly or wrongly feel that based on 4 years he does not give us the best chance to win.

Point one about the staff, either they have no clue as evidenced by recruiting the second best dual threat QB and after two years he is a wide reciever. Either he was not what the coaches thought he was, they haven't developed him, or the most recent incarnation of pounding rock has him in a position he was not recruited for. And viola wide reciever. This has been worst use of talent in recent memory. That's on the coaches.

Point 2 its not unfailingly, its blindly. How many times can you stand to see a QB bouncing on his toes, scanning the field, and throwing late over the middle? How many, and the coaching staff is blind to the turnovers. Picks, fumbles, and self initiated sacks. It all goes on and on. I don't fault Weber he cann't do it any better. Sure he may throw for more yards than any QB in Minnesota history, but that is little consulation when we cannot find a way to put points on the board. Yet the fans, coaches point to Grey being not ready because of the fumble against Iowa State last year. Seems the coaches see what they want to see.

Having voted, it generally is the top 3 or 4 players nominated. The vote is split several ways. To say by virtue of his being elected a Captain for the 3rd year that the entire team is behind him is questionable. Maybe better to say there might be some on the team, who rightly or wrongly feel that based on 4 years he does not give us the best chance to win.

Point 1: Gray wasn't missed what would have been his true Freshman year and wasn't at Minnesota until last year. In addition, he was injured for much of his senior year in high school, making it a long time since he was regularly playing the game. I would have liked to see him redshirt last year, especially after the near meaningless minutes he received and considering the poor o-line we had.

I think the coaches know what they have with Gray and expect him to be the starting QB for 2 years. There isn't any evidence to suggest otherwise and those that bring up the NFL type wide receiver quote from Brewster, well that's one of the ways coaches can pump up their players.

Point 2: I think Weber's biggest disappointments come when he can't seem to find the wide open receiver. Even though we don't get a guy wide open enough, I can still only think of one time that Weber found the guy that wasn't covered. Other teams seem to do this to us a few times a year, but Weber doesn't give the pay back often enough, and there have been chances to do so.

Well...I've thought about it, and I really don't even have the time before I want to leave today to even start pointing out the inconsistencies in your post, but have a good weekend.

The problem is Brewster. Now one of his best players has quit mid season. Another Brewster issue. My question for you Weber lovers (can't believe you are still out there) is which qb woiuld you take, Weber or SDU's Warren? Or Weber and MTSU's backup?

I don't know who SDU is so I'll refrain from answering that one, but I would definately take Weber over MTSU's backup. His name is Kilgore but I don't expect enough thought out of you to actually be able to remember that.

21/31...perhaps you missed HOW WIDE OPEN THE RECEIVERS WERE ALL GAME? Just curious if you missed that part of the equation. My 3 year old nephew could have gone 21/31 against USD.

No he couldn't have.

My question for you Weber lovers (can't believe you are still out there) is which qb woiuld you take, Weber or SDU's Warren? Or Weber and MTSU's backup?

I don't think Webbbbber is great, I'm certainly not a Webbbbber "lover" but no question I take him over Warren or Kilgore. Don't forget, you saw both of those QBs against the GOPHER defense. That's going to make anyone look good. I'd love to throw some passes against that unit. Please try to compare Apples to Apples. By your logic, you'd also take Warren over Matt Barkley in your one-game definitive analysis.

After further review, since you don't know the name of the MTSU QB, or realize that Warren plays for USD, I'm going to totally disregard your expert opinion.

First time!!!

So, let me see if I'm understanding this here because this sounds like a situation I have never ever heard of before in the history of football;

The backup QB is the most popular guy on the team in the eyes of a ton of fans?

That has to be a first. NOWHERE do you ever hear fans calling for the starting QB to be benched in favor of the backup, especially after a loss??? Really?!?!?

You know, I jsut heard Obama tell an audience how much he has done and that the economy is turning the corner, and things aren't as bad as they seem. He and Brewster should get togather or maybe have the same speech writer. He is soo excited and we are making great progress and success is right around the corner. Neither of these two realize that RESULTS COUNT. Sorry to bring politics here, but the similarity is astounding.

IL Connection Barack and Brewster!

That must be it...you're quite right in that the tone of both guys is strikingly similar. Both are leading disastrous organizations. I'm still hopeful for Brewster, though. That's where the similarity ends for me.

Top Bottom