We Are...Butler

Jon Leuer had a pretty good disappearing act tonight. Not a good game for the senior.

Wondering if the physical beating K State gave to Wisconsin had a carry over. Wisconsin did not look interested in mixing it up with Butler. They got pushed around and settled for 3 pointers.

If Bucky was wondering who just hit him with the lead pipe in the conservatory...

The Butler Did IT!

Hey, it's our message board, so gloating is perfectly acceptable!

Go Gophers!

Interesting comment on Mike & Mike This Morning today. Butler coach said something like he doesn't want his team to lead the league in steals(or wants them last in steals). Meaning don't gamble and and give up easy shots. Stay in front of your man, don't be out of position and contest all shots.

A little different than the ball-line defense?

Interesting comment on Mike & Mike This Morning today. Butler coach said something like he doesn't want his team to lead the league in steals(or wants them last in steals). Meaning don't gamble and and give up easy shots. Stay in front of your man, don't be out of position and contest all shots.

A little different than the ball-line defense?

A LOT different than the ball line defense. I get the feeling that the players don't get graded on deflections either. Different way to skin a cat, I guess.

Hard to believe three of my most disliked teams go down in the same night, BYU, Wiscy and DUKE.

A LOT different than the ball line defense. I get the feeling that the players don't get graded on deflections either. Different way to skin a cat, I guess.

In Tubby's offense, it is created by defense. The tempo is pushed off of steals, blocks, turnovers, deflections, and smothering the other team.

Neither system is "better" per se, just different.

Minnesota (wants) to play fast and aggresive

Amazing, amazing run. Coach Stevens is the epitome of "act like you've been there before". Florida had a chance to win it in regulation and his reaction was to simply clap and head back to the bench. Didn't even crack a smile. Back-to-back Final Fours for the Butler Bulldogs. This is why this is the greatest sporting event in the world, bar none.

Amazing, amazing run. Coach Stevens is the epitome of "act like you've been there before". Florida had a chance to win it in regulation and his reaction was to simply clap and head back to the bench. Didn't even crack a smile. Back-to-back Final Fours for the Butler Bulldogs. This is why this is the greatest sporting event in the world, bar none.

This may be the most incredible back to back feat I've seen in college basketball. The sheer odds of a mid-major program doing this are amazing. Great coach, with a great guard and forward and then a bunch of guys that play their hearts out while employing fundamental basketball skills. They find a kid Marshall a frosh out of Florida to amke big plays in a game like this. Really amazing.

Butler displayed the game of basketball the way it should be displayed. Congrats to the Bulldogs, and Good Luck in the Final Four.

I'm not a fan of the ball line defense but Tubby has had success with it at past schools. My beef is that you better get the right kind of players prepared to play it or you will look foolish. This year that happened often. The other issue with it is that it's tough to learn - per Tubby's ex players. That means it's tougher to integrate freshman into your system. Needless to say with todays turnover, you need to have frosh on the floor often.

Man that was awesome! Butler is saving my interest in this tournament. While I agree they play good basketball and are fundamental, did you guys see the FT shooting today? They should have won in regulation going away if they could have made a FT. Nevertheless, I will continue to pull for themas if they were the Gophers.

Side note with all the talk of officiating: When does an official get to decide on which part of the floor a guy is shooting? Mack was clearly fouled in the act of shooting on that last play. While it is a ridiculous shot, it shows his intelligence and quick thinking. It was a great play, and I thought it should have been rewarded. It's never called because the the guy with the ball is rarely ever really in the act of shooting. Mack made a great sell.

Last point: The beauty of this tourney is it open to all and anything is truly possible. Butler has proved that twice now. George Mason was in the FF. VCU could be tomorrow. Gonzaga, Davidson, etc. have been in the Elite 8 and just missed. To all the people that say Boise State, TCU, Utah, and whoever else couldn't compete in football, you're just simply wrong. And if you really feel that way, you should support a playoff. Because if you are right, it will be proven time and again in said playoff. What are you afraid of? Determine it on the field. College basketball (and basically every sport in the world) has it right. College football's "championship" is beyond lame.

You can NOT play a FB Game on a Thursday and come back for another on Saturday like BB can. If you install a playoff, we would have about 7 regular season games and then start the playoffs. Not gonna happen unless we play football into February or March.

You can NOT play a FB Game on a Thursday and come back for another on Saturday like BB can. If you install a playoff, we would have about 7 regular season games and then start the playoffs. Not gonna happen unless we play football into February or March.
Good point, but there is plenty of time for a small playoff system that would take place from Thanksgiving til Christmas.

Butler has been a joy to watch these past two seasons. Great team defense and doing all the little things right, although free throw shooting could have come back to haunt them today, to win close ball games. Brad Stevens has proven to be one of the best up and coming coaches in the nation.

When is an 8-seed making the Final Four not an earth-shaking surprise? When is an upset not an upset? Nothing these guys do surprises me anymore. I agree that they take on the characteristics of their coach - smart, clear-headed and unflappable.

We need difference-makers

One thing that is clear after watching the NCAA Tournament is that the Gophers are a ways away from being a legitimate NCAA factor. All 4 teams in the Southwest, even offensively challenged Florida State, have difference-makers. Ralph III is a nice player, but respectfully the prospect of him being our best returning player for 2011-12 (I'm assuming Trevor's leaving) doesn't leave me thinking we'll be a factor in the Big Ten next season. But on the other hand, I think an infusion of new players and a vastly different-looking roster is probably what this program needs.

One thing that is clear after watching the NCAA Tournament in person (San Antonio) is that the Gophers are a ways away from being a legitimate NCAA factor. All 4 teams, even offensively challenged Florida State, have difference-makers. Ralph III is a nice player, but respectfully the prospect of him being our best returning player for 2011-12 (I'm assuming Trevor's leaving) doesn't leave me thinking we'll be a factor in the Big Ten next season. But on the other hand, I think an infusion of new players and a vastly different-looking roster is probably what this program needs.

What would your thoughts be if Trevor returned?

I also trust Rodney will make a huge leap next year. Giving the Gophers, IMO, 4 difference makers (Rodney, Andre, Trevor and Ralph) as well as depth with Welch, Mo, Oto, and Austin.

What would your thoughts be if Trevor returned?

I also trust Rodney will make a huge leap next year. Giving the Gophers, IMO, 4 difference makers (Rodney, Andre, Trevor and Ralph) as well as depth with Welch, Mo, Oto, and Austin.

Then I'd say we only have one proven dyed-in-the-wool difference-maker (Trevor). The others haven't proven that yet, though I hope they can in 2011-12.

Then I'd say we only have one proven dyed-in-the-wool difference-maker (Trevor). The others haven't proven that yet, though I hope they can in 2011-12.

Trevor, while our best player, is not a difference maker or we would have won more than one of our last 11 games. We need a guard who can shoot and penetrate. I don't see one on the current roster but hopefully Andre Hollins can be that guy.

Rodney developing a jumpshot and he could be that guy as well but I am not that hopeful.

Top Bottom