WCCO lands on its feet

If UST goes D-1, it will not be in football (although as mentioned 1-aa is possible). But what does Marquette, Depaul or St. Joseph's have that St. Thomas doesn't? A second d-1 basketball school in the Twin Cities would be exciting.

When I read the first post I just thought it was a joke! The news tonight confirmed it for me. Good grief.

1st and goal for the Tommies at the 11. Inside handoff...fumble...there's a scrum...and I think Weber came up with it!

If there was any doubt that leaving that heaping pile of waste for a better station, it has been removed now.

The good news is that with St. Thomas football and the Timberwolves, WCCO now has two sports that draw almost 2000 people a game.

If there was any doubt that leaving that heaping pile of waste for a better station, it has been removed now.

The good news is that with St. Thomas football and the Timberwolves, WCCO now has two sports that draw almost 2000 people a game.

Is it safe to say you are not a fan of 'The Good Neighbor'.

Rosemountain is correct that UST will not look to go DI as they have no desire to rebuild their facilities to accomodate such move. It was discussed several years back prior to the new building but was decided that the costs far outweighed the benefit in addition to not having the space to further expand. With their current enrollment and status in DIII, there is no incentive to consider making a move to DII financially nor would a move enhance their academic reputation which is the driving source of their huge endowment funding. UST gets as much benefit reputation wise and financially (or more)with their success at the DIII level as they would ever see at the DII level. Just look at the regional universities at the DII level that have had athletic success lately (UMD - National champions for football two of the last three years, prominent hockey program, Winona State, Mankato for basketball). None of these schools holds a candle to the alumni and corporate support that UST has currently has. UST will simply continue to enjoy the benefits of being one of the most prominent DIII sports programs in the country and the new agreement with WCCO will only enhance this position.

If WCCO wanted to stick it to the 'U', they could have become a Badgers football affiliate radio station. I expect that would draw more listeners than MIAC football.

I can't wait

I can't wait for the season to start so we won't have to talk about the chances of St. Thomas moving up to Division 1.

They are becoming a second rate,small town station.It's a sign of the times I guess.It's too bad CBS took over.

Dominate?

Not exactly sure why they are still a DIII athletic school at this point. I think the jump to DI might be a bit much but they should at least be at DII where they would probably still dominate in 3/4 of the sports.
In what Gregorian Chants? D-II football in Minnesota contains The 2 out of the last 3 D-II National Football Champions, UMD. Winona State won National Championships in basketball in 2006 and 2008. What conference are they going to Dominate? the NSIC? Ever since the collapse of the NCC, the NSIC has become considered by many to be the preeminent D-II conference in the country.
Now if given time, with the money that is behind that school, I'm sure they can become competitive. They would have to take their beatings for a while, just like anybody else would. Private schools can succeed in the NSIC, Augustana does. The other question is into what conference would they go? NSIC just added two new schools, so they may not be ready to add again soon. Does Iowa have a good D-II conference in it?

St Thomas has no intentions of moving up divisions. They had looked into it before building their new athletic facilities and decided to build top notch D3 facilities. They'd have to rebuild again to be competitive at the D1 level. And D2 is more expensive and equally as profitable so there won't be a permanent move to D2 either.

Yes. If you've been to their new athletic complex ... which is beautiful ... its built for a D-3 school. They aren't going anywhere in the next 20 years.

or ever...

Yes. If you've been to their new athletic complex ... which is beautiful ... its built for a D-3 school. They aren't going anywhere in the next 20 years.

It takes a commitment from the top down. Just never seen any evidence that it exists at St. Thomas.

There would be added travel expenses, the NSIC has a much wider footprint than does the MIAC. Plus, the MIAC tends to get more metro area newspaper coverage than the NSIC does.

Top Bottom