WCCO: For His 22nd Birthday, Former Gopher Rashod Bateman Bought A Car For His Mom

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WCCO:

Monday was former Gophers wide receiver Rashod Bateman’s birthday, but it was mother who got a present.

Bateman, who now plays for the Baltimore Ravens, bought his mom Shonda a brand-new Mercedes Benz.

“The only way my birthday would be made is by showing you the love and support that you have shown me the past 22 years,” Bateman wrote on Instagram.

The Ravens said Bateman also bought his mother a house in June.

Go Gophers!!

This is awesome! IIRC, he already bought her a new house after he was drafted.

Nice gesture, but he's spent a lot of money already. He must not have much left after taxes.

Nice gesture, but he's spent a lot of money already. He must not have much left after taxes.
Yeah I worry about that kinda thing.

There was a great story about an NBA player who was brave enough to lay out how his finances worked. He was basically on an allowance for years ... a REALLY good one, but he stuck to it (if he didn't empty his checking account his finance guy would put it back in another account). Big purchaces went through his finance guy. Got advice on how to handle friends and family.

Dude wasn't a super star but was a good player ... finished his career with WAY more money than a lot of guys who made more.

I remember him explaining "I didn't know what 10 grand even was, what you could do with it, and other guys were throwing it around like they didn't know either."

Always need to be careful but think he's still ok. Made $9.5M this year including signing bonus. After taxes he should have about $6M. Say he spend $500 on the house for mom and $100 on the car and same for himself, he would still have $4.8M left, unless he's being dumb and he doesn't strike me that way.

MD income tax not as high as what we're used to in MN.

Yeah I worry about that kinda thing.

There was a great story about an NBA player who was brave enough to lay out how his finances worked. He was basically on an allowance for years ... a REALLY good one, but he stuck to it (if he didn't empty his checking account his finance guy would put it back in another account). Big purchaces went through his finance guy. Got advice on how to handle friends and family.

Dude wasn't a super star but was a good player ... finished his career with WAY more money than a lot of guys who made more.

I remember him explaining "I didn't know what 10 grand even was, what you could do with it, and other guys were throwing it around like they didn't know either."
Has to be an awesome feeling for guys like Bateman when they can do stuff like this.

As for finances, I am pretty sure it was Larry Fitzgerald who takes 80% of the money he earns and puts it straight to savings. It is always sad when you hear about athletes that end up broke because if they are smart with their money there is no way that should happen.

Unfortunately for a lot of athletes they grew up with little to nothing so when they are suddenly put in a position where they have more money then they every dreamed of there are many that can't handle it and just spend like crazy while also trying to carry a lot of the people around them.

Same thing happens to a lot of lottery winners.

Nice story. I hope though as others point out; you do need money for the future. Seems to be a high percentage of players who end up broke after spending it all.

Gronk said he spends his endorsement money and saves 100% of all of his salary. Seems like a great formula.

Go Gophers!!

Gronk said he spends his endorsement money and saves 100% of all of his salary. Seems like a great formula.

Go Gophers!!
I've heard that. Gronk has a great personality where it's not hard for people to hire him to promote their product. He is alive and doing well.

Has to be an awesome feeling for guys like Bateman when they can do stuff like this.

As for finances, I am pretty sure it was Larry Fitzgerald who takes 80% of the money he earns and puts it straight to savings. It is always sad when you hear about athletes that end up broke because if they are smart with their money there is no way that should happen.

Unfortunately for a lot of athletes they grew up with little to nothing so when they are suddenly put in a position where they have more money then they every dreamed of there are many that can't handle it and just spend like crazy while also trying to carry a lot of the people around them.

Same thing happens to a lot of lottery winners.

Yeah, and folks don't always grasp how spending money ... can cost MORE money.

Buy a bunch of houses, now you got taxes, upkeep... money drains FAST.

God help anyone who buys a BOAT.

Go Gophers!!

He plays the ditzy character....but Gronk is obviously quite a bit more intelligent than the persona he's built.

Also.....good for Bateman. I'd guess that this is hardly unique. For a high level athlete to buy their parents, cars and a house when they get their big payday. Obviously circumstances change from player to player.....whether you are a top round draft pick or a guy who's just hoping to make the roster....and whether your parents supported you through the ups and down or not.

He plays the ditzy character....but Gronk is obviously quite a bit more intelligent than the persona he's built.

Also.....good for Bateman. I'd guess that this is hardly unique. For a high level athlete to buy their parents, cars and a house when they get their big payday. Obviously circumstances change from player to player.....whether you are a top round draft pick or a guy who's just hoping to make the roster....and whether your parents supported you through the ups and down or not.
Sometimes "smart" is just being disciplined and willing to listen to someone else who actually knows better.

Still, it's certainly smart.

Always need to be careful but think he's still ok. Made $9.5M this year including signing bonus. After taxes he should have about $6M. Say he spend $500 on the house for mom and $100 on the car and same for himself, he would still have $4.8M left, unless he's being dumb and he doesn't strike me that way.
I think he's being somewhat smart, the Mercedes looks like a GLC, so 50K not 100K.

I heard his agent on Ben Leibers podcast, he sounds like a good dude who helps his clients in every aspect of their lives. Bateman has someone looking out for him.

Top Bottom