WBB: Stollings Signs Four for 2016

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111115aaa.html

Head coach Marlene Stollings and her Minnesota women’s basketball staff have signed four future Golden Gophers to National Letters of Intent (NLI). Gadiva Hubbard (Virginia Beach, Va.), twin sisters Kehinde and Taiye Bello (Southfield, Mich.) and Jasmine Brunson (Queens, N.Y.) will join the program beginning in the 2016-17 season

Two 4 star recruits in Gadiva and Taiye. All 4 very good athletes and good studrnts. Jasmine Brunson
played in the tough outdoor summer leagues against the men. Great ball handler and extremely quick.. I don't believe they rate women's basketball classes, but this is definitely a Top 25 class.

Any MN kids sign at major schools?

From HoopGurlz Top 100 rankings

#38 Jamie Ruden from Rochester JM signed with Arizona State
#43 Taylor Koenen from Shakopee signed with North Carolina
#68 Abi Scheid from Elk River signed with Northwestern
#73 Nia Hollie from Hopkins signed with Michigan State

From HoopGurlz Top 100 rankings

#38 Jamie Ruden from Rochester JM signed with Arizona State
#43 Taylor Koenen from Shakopee signed with North Carolina
#68 Abi Scheid from Elk River signed with Northwestern
#73 Nia Hollie from Hopkins signed with Michigan State

Thanks. Did Gophers go after any of them?

Thanks. Did Gophers go after any of them?

I know we went after Nia Hollie because it was down to us and Michigan State for her, and she held a televised announcement ceremony on a news station to announce her commitment to Sparty, and there was an argument here about whether it was right for in-state kids to keep us in it until the end, then publicly announce a commitment to another school, like Reid Travis did. Come to think of it, we've just recently passed the 2 year anniversary of that gut punch a few days ago.

I know we went after Nia Hollie because it was down to us and Michigan State for her, and she held a televised announcement ceremony on a news station to announce her commitment to Sparty, and there was an argument here about whether it was right for in-state kids to keep us in it until the end, then publicly announce a commitment to another school, like Reid Travis did. Come to think of it, we've just recently passed the 2 year anniversary of that gut punch a few days ago.

Wow, that went fast.

HUH?

Two 4 star recruits in Gadiva and Taiye. All 4 very good athletes and good studrnts. Jasmine Brunson
played in the tough outdoor summer leagues against the men. Great ball handler and extremely quick.. I don't believe they rate women's basketball classes, but this is definitely a Top 25 class.

Not sure where you get the 4 star rankings or the idea it would be a top 25 class? Taiye and Gadiva are rated a 90 on Hoop Gurlz.

In Minnesota alone, 13 girls signed offers to D1 schools. The 4 Minnesota girls in the top 100 at 97, 96, 95 and 94 ratings. And then 5 other Minnesota girls with scores of 90. Leaving 4 more each at 88 and 89 from just Minnesota. For example, 2 to Az St, 2 to wisconsin, Marquette, North Carolina, Northwestern, St John's in NY etc. So, put another way...9 Minnesota girls rated as high as our top two recruits or higher.

How could it possibly be even a Top 60 class without someone from the Top 100? Or at least 4 girls with scores of kind of the minimum 90 rating. Twin sister Kehinde is at 89 and the other girl isn't in the data base and we list her at 5-7. They may be diamonds in the rough but none of them are highly rated.

Top 20 Girls classes: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings?class=2016

Az State with the two Minnesota girls is #9 overall and North Carolina is #13 with another MN girl.

is stollings not recruiting in the state? with ground breaking on the new facilities you'd think some in state would want to be Gophers

Even with a top 20 class which doesn't seem to be the case, Could you imagine the outrage if the men struck out on four top 100 in state recruits. Is there not a good relationship between the high school coaches and the players. I would imagine academics would play a bigger role in the ladies game too and the U while not elite is still a very good school. If were turning out 13 players that can play at a Power 6 school on a regular basis no reason why this program can't be competitive

Even with a top 20 class which doesn't seem to be the case, Could you imagine the outrage if the men struck out on four top 100 in state recruits. Is there not a good relationship between the high school coaches and the players. I would imagine academics would play a bigger role in the ladies game too and the U while not elite is still a very good school. If were turning out 13 players that can play at a Power 6 school on a regular basis no reason why this program can't be competitive

I think 13 to 20 girls is typical for MN girls basketball. Not everybody is on that list of 13 I'm sure. Girls who could play D1 (maybe one or two D1 offers they are not excited about) sign with D2 schools quite often too for lots of reasons. Sometimes because D1 is really a full time job and girls don't want that...they wanna play without all the demands...so they go D2.

"If were turning out 13 players that can play at a Power 6 school on a regular basis no reason why this program can't be competitive." If we are 0 for 13 it doesn't make much difference how many we have.
zero x zero is zero. Iowa typically raids some very talented Minnesota girls between Iowa, Iowa St, Northern Iowa and Drake.

does it matter? ultimately stollings has to win and i think the team did a good job of that last year. does she get a slightly longer rope if winning comes more slowly with in state players vs out of state players?

does it matter? ultimately stollings has to win and i think the team did a good job of that last year. does she get a slightly longer rope if winning comes more slowly with in state players vs out of state players?

I agree they did fine last year with the injury to Banham. But it was a nucleus of Borton's best recruits. Some are gone and Banham has one more year. Yes, I do think it makes a difference where the recruits come from, especially if you are not good as a team. If you're very good, where the recruits come wouldn't matter I don't think (not to me) But I do think recruiting four girls ranked at 90 and lower from out of state with 9 Minnesota girls ranked at 90 or higher and landing none of them raises some red flags?

Not sure where you get the 4 star rankings or the idea it would be a top 25 class? Taiye and Gadiva are rated a 90 on Hoop Gurlz.

In Minnesota alone, 13 girls signed offers to D1 schools. The 4 Minnesota girls in the top 100 at 97, 96, 95 and 94 ratings. And then 5 other Minnesota girls with scores of 90. Leaving 4 more each at 88 and 89 from just Minnesota. For example, 2 to Az St, 2 to wisconsin, Marquette, North Carolina, Northwestern, St John's in NY etc. So, put another way...9 Minnesota girls rated as high as our top two recruits or higher.

How could it possibly be even a Top 60 class without someone from the Top 100? Or at least 4 girls with scores of kind of the minimum 90 rating. Twin sister Kehinde is at 89 and the other girl isn't in the data base and we list her at 5-7. They may be diamonds in the rough but none of them are highly rated.

Top 20 Girls classes: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/class-rankings?class=2016

Az State with the two Minnesota girls is #9 overall and North Carolina is #13 with another MN girl.

MJH. on Gopher Illustrated rated the 2 girls as 4 stars according to his writeup. And other than Nia, the others didn't fit Stollings type of system. Also for your information the recruits Stollings signed she has been recruiting them since they were freshmen.

I believe it was her first recruiting class.

I'd say the 2016's were Stollings second class but her first full year of Gopher recruiting. Her first class, the 2015's, included Danielle Garven. Shae, of course was in a special category.

I'd say the 2016's were Stollings second class but her first full year of Gopher recruiting. Her first class, the 2015's, included Danielle Garven. Shae, of course was in a special category.

Might want to see what happens with the next couple of classes before one decides to be critical of Stollings's recruiting. Borton's program was such a mess that Stollings had a lot of ground to make up. The girl going to North Carolina didn't have Minnesota on her list; sort of like Richard Coffey's daughter, Nia. Um ... you know ... Richard Coffey, the former Gopher, who was so happy his son chose the U? Kenisha Bell who backed out on Borton has transferred to the U. Look how long it's taken Pitino to get two Minnesota kids other people coveted. Stollings took over a program pretty much run into the ground by a coach who missed out on all sorts of prospects from Minnesota her last five or six years.

Top Bottom