WBB: Gophers v Wofford-Game 1 (11-13)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
The assumed starting lineup will be four players we know everything about (Mullaney, Bailey, Wagner and Banham) and one player whom we've never seen play. I'm certainly looking forward to watching Edwards, Lamke and Garven.

Wofford was not very good last season and they return their starting lineup.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2015/11/12/WBB_1112153933.aspx

Wofford head coach Edgar I. Farmer, Jr., enters his 12th season as head coach and 14th overall season with the program, serving as an assistant for two seasons prior to becoming the head coach in 2005.

The Terriers return all five starters from the 2014-15 season, including the team's leading scorer in senior guard Jordan Frazier (14.8 ppg). Frazier also led the Southern Conference in steals last season with 74, and enters the season 130 points away from achieving 1,000 in her career.

The team also returns its leading rebounder in senior guard Ashton Fleming (7.8 rpg), its leading assist maker in senior guard Chanel Stokes (2.2 apg) and leading shot blocker in senior forward Khadijah Joyner (1.3 bpg).

The 4-guard lineup should be interesting.

Against Wofford, it really won't matter, but I would like to see how they match up with some of the bigger teams.

Gopher ladies should be fun to watch, but hopefully Year 2 brings more than a passing interest in defense.

Jessie Edwards gets the start at center. The guards are Banham, Bailey, Mullaney, and Wagner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers in white tonight.

Boy, the knee injury really slowed the Maroon Mamba down...17pts in the first half.

The Gophers outscored Wofford 27-4 in the 2nd quarter.

16 made 3's! (Pretty sure that is what I heard Stollings say in the interview.)

On the one hand they were playing a bad team. On the other hand, they did what your supposed to against a bad team. Gophs had one off stretch in the 3rd quarter but otherwise just pounded Wofford.

Liked what I saw from Edwards. Again, it's tough to judge against such a terrible opponent but at the very least she looked like she can move pretty well and had some shooting touch.

What did everyone think of 4 quarters?

#21 for Wofford had a stretch in the 3rd where she couldn't miss. The Terriers cut the lead to 21 at the end of 3, but that was that. Wofford scored 12 in the 4th.

Some quick notes:
An Amanda Zahui type night for Mikayla Bailey: 26 points (6 three pointers), 13 rebounds and 3 assists. After a slow start the Gophers heated up for a 98-54 victory showcasing 16 (a school record) threes on 41 attempts.

Wofford’s scoring by quarters was 11, 4, 31, and 8. The 31 point third quarter is a reminder that the 2-3 match up zone still struggles to locate shooters. Minnesota did play a bit of man defense tonight.

The center rotation appears to be Edwards (12 points, 7 rebounds), Lamke, Hedstrom (when you need another option) and then Buckingham as a last resort.

Danielle Garven first appeared in the second quarter; but obviously is not yet in tune either offensively or defensively. Good nights for Mullaney (after she stopped dribbling into defenders) and of course Rachel. And yes, I’m still hoping Wagner can consistently finish under the hoop-she could be an elite player.

I prefer a first and second half. As we relentlessly move toward international rules, I still want to retain the 30 second clock.

Edwards has potential, but she is going to have trouble against BIG front lines. Needs to get a lot stronger but is active and coordinated. She goes down and we're in big, big trouble there. Buckingham and Lamke have a long way to go.

Was hoping to see more of Garven. Some real nerves but she wasn't scared. Two quick turnovers and Stollings yanked her and I don't think she got back in. Stollings didn't even look at her as she went to the bench which seemed harsh. She looks like a player but also needs to get stronger.

Hopefully, Bailey will be a scoring threat this year. Looked good--not sure I'd compare her to ZB. Wagner looks even more athletic this year. Still am amazed at her quick release. Rachel could have an awesome year. Let a 3 go about 5 or 6 behind the line and you could tell it was good as she was already turning to get back. Also a gorgeous drive where she just floated it up and in. A Wofford fan behind us said, "Now that's an All-American."

They were small but we rebounded well. Played much better D first half--I commented that it was better--and then the third quarter looked like last year. All sorts of open shots.

Miscellany from the Wofford game:

Nine of Bailey’s thirteen rebounds were off missed three pointers. (Three were Gopher misses (Bailey, Garven and Wagner) the rest were defensive rebounds). Seven of Mikayla’s first eight rebounds were off missed threes.

Garven’s second and final stint on the court ended late in the third quarter when, following a Wofford basket, she made a lazy, nearly intercepted, inbounds pass to Mullaney. The ball was knocked out of bounds and Danielle went to the bench. She was at the scorer’s table late in the game but there were no stoppages.

I counted seven fastbreaks. Bailey was involved in five of them. The first came off a Mikayla steal. As she fell out of bounds, she flipped the ball to Banham who hit Mullaney for the layup. My favorite didn’t result in a score: Banham grabbed the rebound, threw the ball half court to Bailey on the wing who quickly delivered the ball to Edwards running down the center of the lane. Edwards didn’t finish; but it another thing off the check list (run the court-check).

Yes we have a short bench. Kynadi Johnson was in warm-ups along with the transfers (Starr and Bell) and Karley Barnes warmed up but didn’t play. Like Rachel she has a knee brace.

The depth will improve in the B1G season when Starr is eligible. Then 6 guards will be able to rotate in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111615aaa.html

Mikayla Bailey B1G Co-Player of the week:

Mikayla Bailey was honored Monday as the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week. The accolade follows Bailey’s impressive showing in the Gophers’ 98-54 opening night win over Wofford. She shared the honor with Rutgers’ Kahleah Copper.

Bailey set new career highs in total points (26) and total rebounds (13), as well as making a career-high six 3-pointers made as part of a program record 16 3-pointers made as a team. She shot 6-of-11 from beyond the arc and 10-of-16 overall. She also tied her career high with three steals, and added five assists.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111615aaa.html

Mikayla Bailey B1G Co-Player of the week:

Mikayla Bailey was honored Monday as the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week. The accolade follows Bailey’s impressive showing in the Gophers’ 98-54 opening night win over Wofford. She shared the honor with Rutgers’ Kahleah Copper.

Bailey set new career highs in total points (26) and total rebounds (13), as well as making a career-high six 3-pointers made as part of a program record 16 3-pointers made as a team. She shot 6-of-11 from beyond the arc and 10-of-16 overall. She also tied her career high with three steals, and added five assists.

Pretty impressive line.

Top Bottom