WBB: Gophers v Maine-Game 2 (11/20)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/w-baskbl/2015-16/releases/20151119n4fnl4

Maine is an international team with eight players from different European countries. One of whom, Senior Mikaela Gustafsson, played for Telge Basket with Amanda Zahui. The Black Bears return their eight leading scorers.

Maine enters play at 1-1 after opening up with a 64-53 win at Harvard before falling at Boston College on Sunday, 55-48. Sigi Koizar has led Maine through the pair of opening contests, averaging 17.0 points after a 22 points output at Harvard. Koizar has now tallied double-figures in her last seven games dating back to last year. In the early going, Koizar ranks fourth in the league in points per game and tops in 3-point makes at 2.5 per game. Liz Wood is adding 9.5 points after a 14 point performance at Boston College. Wood ranks second in the league at 5.0 assists per game, dishing out seven at Harvard. After leading the league in steals a year ago, Wood is currently averaging 3.0 per game, second best among America East leaders.

Maine is averaging 56.0 points per game through its opening series and is shooting 38.9% from the floor. The Black Bears lead the America East from the free throw stripe at 73.9% and are averaging 33.0 rebounds per game. Maine is tops in the league in steals (9.0) and second in assists (13.5).
Maine returns all five starters and 13 letterwinners from its 2014-15 squad which finished 23-9 after capturing the America East Regular Season Co-Championship following a 14-2 league record. Maine welcomes two newcomers in a pair of freshmen guards; Madddy McVicar (Calais, ME) and Isabel Hernandez Pepe (Rome, Italy).

I've had a nice hate for the Black Bears for 25 years due to some ugliness in hockey...

Paul Kariya...hate him...

When the plane is mainly on a Maine plaine it rains on the plane and the plain in Maine. That's plain to see.

Not if it's dark outside and I have a plain ol' aisle seat on the plane, and I'm snoring, dreaming of smoothing my boards with the shop plane at home on Main Street.

Not if it's dark outside and I have a plain ol' aisle seat on the plane, and I'm snoring, dreaming of smoothing my boards with the shop plane at home on Main Street.

Well Kenny's Mayne question is how to get to Maine by rowing down Lake Street.

I've had a nice hate for the Black Bears for 25 years due to some ugliness in hockey...

Paul Kariya...hate him...

However, I have fond memories of Black Bear despair from a certain night at the X a few year back.

The women need to step it up. The men's game today against Missouri State was absolutely horrible basketball. They might get 4 wins in the conference.

Gophers up 82-57 with 4 minutes to play. Banham with 28. Weird thing is Stollings has a really short bench so far.

We learned that Joanna Hedstrom IS our bench. It’s shorter than I thought in the early season. The starters all played 30+ minutes and Hedstrom 19 minutes. I will say Annalese Lamke (6 minutes) made a case for getting in the rotation. Lamke played with confidence against a good ball moving, mildly physical Maine team. I loved when she screamed for the ball after pinning her defender low. Jessie Edwards performance 15 points and 16 boards probably limited Lamke’s time.

We saw again how to breakdown the Gopher 2-3 zone. Minnesota came out playing man to man and then switched mainly to the 2-3 with occasional pressure. No matter, the Black Bears got the Gopher lead down to 3 points in the third quarter before Minnesota’s offense kicked back into gear.

It’s good to see Carlie driving to the hoop when the Gophers spread the court. Wagner did have four turnovers, all of the “why” type. And we saw another solid night for Mullaney 10 assists and 2 turnovers.

We also learned that the Gophers are hard to beat when they shoot 54.7% from the field and 13-26 from behind the arc.

We learned that Joanna Hedstrom IS our bench. It’s shorter than I thought in the early season. The starters all played 30+ minutes and Hedstrom 19 minutes. I will say Annalese Lamke (6 minutes) made a case for getting in the rotation. Lamke played with confidence against a good ball moving, mildly physical Maine team. I loved when she screamed for the ball after pinning her defender low. Jessie Edwards performance 15 points and 16 boards probably limited Lamke’s time.

We saw again how to breakdown the Gopher 2-3 zone. Minnesota came out playing man to man and then switched mainly to the 2-3 with occasional pressure. No matter, the Black Bears got the Gopher lead down to 3 points in the third quarter before Minnesota’s offense kicked back into gear.

It’s good to see Carlie driving to the hoop when the Gophers spread the court. Wagner did have four turnovers, all of the “why” type. And we saw another solid night for Mullaney 10 assists and 2 turnovers.

We also learned that the Gophers are hard to beat when they shoot 54.7% from the field and 13-26 from behind the arc.

Do you attend most games?

Yep,home games. Season tickets.

It was raining 3's @ the barn tonight. Over 50 taken between the 2 teams . Stollings needs a true center as think Edwards is going to get pushed around in the Big. They also need to box out better as they look as bad as the menus team in rebounding. Bonham is Golden!

Yep,home games. Season tickets.

It was raining 3's @ the barn tonight. Over 50 taken between the 2 teams . Stollings needs a true center as think Edwards is going to get pushed around in the Big. They also need to box out better as they look as bad as the menus team in rebounding. Bonham is Golden!

Will be looking forward to recaps from you guys or gals.

Game 2 miscellany

Rachel had a couple of incidents. The first: with 1:55 remaining in the third quarter Rachel zipped around a defender following a nice hesitation move at the foul line, zipped down the lane and was fouled on a reverse layup attempt. Her momentum carried her into the under basket cameraman and caused her to slowly slide of the court. She got up and nailed the two free throws.

Rachel’s second incident with 3:00 remaining in the game followed a fastbreak layup off a nice Mullanay pass. Rachel twisted her left ankle and then bumped knee first into the basket support padding. She hopped off the court to the bench and left the game. Post-game Rachel said she was fine.

From the 3:04 mark of the third period to the 3:00 mark of the fourth Minnesota put the game away with a 30-3 run. Edwards had 7 of her 16 rebounds and 7 points during that run. Wagner was the leading scorer with 8 points and Bailey nailed two threes and a free throw to go with her 4 assists.

Playing Time:

37 Wagner
36 Mullaney
36 Bailey
31 Banham
31 Edwards
19 Hedstrom
6 Lamke
3 Garven
1 Buckingham

Arent there two JC transfers and an Auburn transfer (next semester) in the mix soon.

Arent there two JC transfers and an Auburn transfer (next semester) in the mix soon.

Yes. Starr is available at the end of the semester and Stollings said Barnes and Johnson will be playing in December. Barnes participates in pre-game warmups; Johnson stands on the sidelines with Starr and Bell.

Johnson and Barnes:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041615aaa.html

Can one of you guys explain the December thing?

Minor injuries. I'm hoping they have some mobility to go with their size on the defensive end. The zone looks like it will be be better this year Rachel adding some quickness at the guard and the the team as a whole having a year of experience playing. However, the Maine game still had a lot of plays where the opponent was able to make easy passes to the high post and short corner.

Top Bottom