WBB: Gophers v Huskers-B1G Game 12 (2/11)

Big Ten Standings

TEAM -CONF-OVERALL

Ohio State 12-1 20-4
Maryland 11-2 22-3
Michigan State 9-4 18-6
Minnesota 9-4 17-7
Indiana 8-5 16-9
Nebraska 7-6 16-8
Purdue 7-6 16-8
Rutgers 6-7 15-10
Michigan 6-7 14-10
Iowa 5-8 15-10
Penn State 4-9 9-15
Northwestern 3-10 14-11
Wisconsin 3-10 7-16
Illinois 1-12 8-16

courtesy of ESPN

Banham finishes with 32 but did not play the last 5-6 minutes of the game. We go to 9-4 and this team is the only bright spot in the TC sports market. Go Gophers!

Only bright spot my ARSE! Towns has been crushing it for the Wolves.

Anyone know why ESPN refuses to put this team in there weekly braketology bracket?

The Gopher RPI is crap. Plenty of opportunities to improve it with Iowa (15-10), at Indiana (16-9), at Mich State (18-6), Ohio State (20-4), at Maryland (22-3) left on the schedule.

Taking baby steps but Gophers RPI (#81) still only ranks 10th in the 14-team Big Ten. As Maximus pointed out, Gophers can fix that by beating several of these top-tier B1G teams down the stretch. They're not getting into the tournament just beating mid-tier B1G teams.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/11/gophers-womens-basketball-banham-sizzles-again/

Banham sizzles again in rout of Nebraska

Banham, who shot 12 for 20 from the field and had five assists, received a standing ovation after the first quarter as her 60-point game was acknowledged on the videoboard above center court. A line that stretched nearly the entire length of the 4th Street concourse waited for her autograph after the game...

The Gophers capped a 20-3 run with three straight offensive rebounds and putbacks from Jessie Edwards and Joanna Hedstrom. They ended with a 51-33 halftime advantage after Barnes soared for a rebound and found a cutting Shayne Mullaney for the basket.

Opponents had come back against Minnesota in the past, so the Gophers kept up the intensity in the third quarter. Banham and Carlie Wagner started things off with three-pointers. Allina Starr converted a three-point play for a 12-2 run and 63-35 lead.

Wagner had 20 points. Starr (11), Mikayla Bailey (11) and Mullaney (12) also scored in double figures. Barnes (10 rebounds) and Edwards (eight points and nine rebounds) played their best game together defensively and rebounding for Minnesota, which has won seven of its past eight games.

The Gophers have tied a program record with 214 three-pointers this season. On one of Banham’s four three-point tries, she let fly from just in front of the “M” logo at midcourt. It hit nothing but net. In the past two games, the Big Ten’s leading scorer and third-best scorer nationally has 92 points, and it doesn’t seem like she’s about to slow down anytime soon

Taking baby steps but Gophers RPI (#81) still only ranks 10th in the 14-team Big Ten. As Maximus pointed out, Gophers can fix that by beating several of these top-tier B1G teams down the stretch. They're not getting into the tournament just beating mid-tier B1G teams.

Selection Sunday, I certainly appreciate your RPI info, but in this case I think the Gophers get in with a win against Iowa and 2 wins in the tourney. .And just maybe only one win in the tourney depending on the teams around them or above them do. Banham is getting major national coverage. She got a blip on CNN after the 60 point night.

Fair enough Ruppert. I'm looking at it in terms of what they need to do leading up to the conference tournament.

Certainly 2 wins in the B1G Tournament if they're both vs. good teams (not for example 1 of them coming vs. a bottom feeder) would really help their cause.

Fair enough Ruppert. I'm looking at it in terms of what they need to do leading up to the conference tournament.

Certainly 2 wins in the B1G Tournament if they're both vs. good teams (not for example 1 of them coming vs. a bottom feeder) would really help their cause.

But right now they have the 3 seed in the BTT. Two wins would get them into the championship game. I think if they beat Iowa, Indiana and Michigan State plus get a win in the BTT they are in.

Or they beat Iowa and Indiana/MSU and get two wins in the BTT.

In this horrible Winter sports scene it's nice to have something to look forward too.

But right now they have the 3 seed in the BTT. Two wins would get them into the championship game.

Yes, I understand that. I was referencing a scenario where they up as the #5 or #6 seed (still possible), which would mean playing the #12/#13 seed or the #11/#14 in their BTT opener. Winning that game would simply mean avoiding a bad loss, not much else.

The good thing is the Gophers have nothing but good/very good opponents left on their regular season schedule (all between #5-53 in the RPI), so there's an opportunity to take care of business before the conference tourney.

BemidjiGopher, I don't follow women's BB like the men, but the Gophers' non-conference schedule sucked (best team they beat was Maine), and they didn't beat anybody. The only decent tams they played, Duke and Auburn, they lost.

Yes, I understand that. I was referencing a scenario where they up as the #5 or #6 seed (still possible), which would mean playing the #12/#13 seed or the #11/#14 in their BTT opener. Winning that game would simply mean avoiding a bad loss, not much else.

The good thing is the Gophers have nothing but good/very good opponents left on their regular season schedule (all between #5-53 in the RPI), so there's an opportunity to take care of business before the conference tourney.

Yep this is the stretch to prove they deserve to be in the tournament.

BemidjiGopher, I don't follow women's BB like the men, but the Gophers' non-conference schedule sucked (best team they beat was Maine), and they didn't beat anybody. The only decent tams they played, Duke and Auburn, they lost.

With a brand new front line and Banham getting used to playing again, it's understandable that this team took time to gel. But I've watched all the games, and they have definitely have shown improvement since the ooc schedule. But I guess 107 pts against Nebraska is no big deal to some people.:)

The Gophers haven't lost to anyone with a losing record but their non-conference schedule was pretty bad. New Mexico has the worst record of any Gopher defeat at 12-10 and their RPI of 181 makes it by far the worst loss of the year.

Auburn seemed liked a bad loss at the time but they are 17-8 (7-5 SEC) and in position to get in the NCAAs. Duke is struggling this year so that loss doesn't look as "good" as it may have in the past.

The Gophers are 6-6 vs. RPI Top 100 with the best win vs. #40 Rutgers. Their remaining games are all against Top 53 teams so 3-2 or better would be ideal. Maine is the only Top 100 non-conference win at #92 ... hopefully they stay and maybe Memphis can sneak into the Top 100 (they are #115 currently). Getting swept by #79 Michigan didn't really do any favors...

Arkansas got in at 17-13 (6-10 SEC) last year as a surprise but their RPI was 41.

With a brand new front line and Banham getting used to playing again, it's understandable that this team took time to gel. But I've watched all the games, and they have definitely have shown improvement since the ooc schedule. But I guess 107 pts against Nebraska is no big deal to some people.:)

Not saying they haven't improved. Just pointing out the non-conference part of the schedule stunk & did nothing to help them, and in fact, that's the main thing holding them back & main reason they're in the predicament they're in.

Not saying they haven't improved. Just pointing out the non-conference part of the schedule stunk & did nothing to help them, and in fact, that's the main thing holding them back & main reason they're in the predicament they're in.

Agree SS...RPI now at 81 which I think is bogus because Nebraska is still at #75 .I could see it if it was a close win, but a close to 40 point loss? Something is rotten in the State of Denmark my good man.

Top Bottom