WBB: Gophers @ Kent State-Game 3 (11/23)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/112315aab.html

Minnesota opens a four game road trip with a visit to Kent State. 5'9" Golden Flashes Guard, Larissa Luken, is from Cottage Grove. Kent State head coach and former Gopher assistant, Danielle O'Banion announced in May that her stage 2 lymphoma was in remission. It was about this time last season that O'Banion was diagnosed with lymphoma.

Scouting the Golden Flashes
• Kent State is 1-2 early in the season after beating Colgate 76-71, then losing to Wright State (73-68) and at IPFW (86-68).
• Larissa Lurken led the Golden Flashes in scoring last year, and is averaging 14.0 points per game so far this year. Redshirt freshman Tyra James has an average of 15.0 points per contest. Four starters are averaging double figures.
• Kent State was picked in the MAC preseason poll to finish fifth in the East Division.
• Head coach Danielle O’Banion, a former Minnesota assistant (2002-07), is in her fourth season at Kent State.

Too bad we can't watch.

I guess we'll have to settle for 200 airings of Big Ten Finale and B1G Football and Beyond.

Too bad we can't watch.

I guess we'll have to settle for 200 airings of Big Ten Finale and B1G Football and Beyond.

I believe there is free video available on the Kent State web site. I'll be able to catch the first half-I'm not sure if there is replay.

Bailey, Banham and Wagner all have a 3 already. Gophers up 13-5 quickly.

Great start. 13-5 3 and a half minutes into the game. Banham, Bailey, and Wagner with 3s and Mullaney has the other 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29-16 after 1 quarter. They are 11-16 from the field, including 6-8 from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somebody better give Banham a wakeup call. 42-41 at the half. 10 fouls on the Gophers. They need the two JC players really bad. Early look, but we've a horrible defense and no rebounding Really miss Kelly and Amanda.

I had time to watch the first half. I was really hoping this season’s Gopher squad wouldn’t wilt under pressure. Then came pressure and we reverted to travels, indecision and limp passing. 17 turnovers for about the most experienced group of guards you can assemble.

When last checked on the contest, Minnesota was headed to one of their worst road defeats since Alabama A&M. Last year Kent State was 290 in RPI. Yes, Kent State looked better; but a loss to the Golden Flashes is still likely to draw lots of laughter at tournament resume parsing time.

Hedstrom playing 31 minutes tells us something. Imagine how many minutes Banham would have played if we weren’t watching her minutes. Anyway, a big thanks to everyone for knuckling down in the fourth.

Minutes Played
40 Wagner
36 Mullaney
35 Banham
31 Bailey
31 Hedstrom
18 Edwards
6 Lamke
3 Buckingham

They only dressed 8 players, and 3 of them were the post players.

They spent most of the time playing 5 guards.

Game 3 miscellany:

At various times Hedstrom subbed in for Edwards, Banham, Bailey and Mullaney (I was hoping for the grand slam; but it was Bailey who subbed in giving Wagner brief rest).

Minnesota was 7-13 from behind the arc in the first half and 0-6 in the second. From the field Minnesota was 17-33 in the first and 16-33 in the second.

Playing time through three games:

37.3 Wagner
35.3 Mullaney
34.3 Bailey
30.7 Banham
26.0 Hedstrom
22.7 Edwards
7.0 Lamke
4.0 Buckingham
4.0 Garven

Ski U Mah Gopher noted only eight players dressed. I wonder what was wrong with Garven.

Top Bottom