Wayzata basketball coach resigns after allegedly pushing Minnetonka player Ibrahim El-Amin (video)

I wonder if there was any history between the player (and the family) and the coach....I'm pretty sure he was the coach at Minnetonka not long ago. He was also a pretty experienced coach....

I don't think it's really an excuse, he is just saying that the reaction is a bit overblown for what went down. There is a social media hysteria that happens at almost every newsworthy event and it can chew up and spit out people over every mistake.

I don't think this guy should be a coach. There is no excuse for what he did. However, the reaction to him is a bit disproportionate for what he did.
I guess I'm confused at what is overblown then. Because someone shared a recording of what he did and wants to hold him accountable? I mean that is pretty mild. You are correct there can be a hysteria but I think the post asked for him to resign, apologize, and stated he shouldn't be a coach in the state. Those are all things that people have agreed on, on this thread.

I'm not even sure about him never being a coach again, but don't get how talking about the situation is a disproportionate reaction. If a kid did it, a lot of people on here would be talking about parenting, this generations attitude, etc., so I think we should apply a similar standard to adults.

I guess I'm confused at what is overblown then. Because someone shared a recording of what he did and wants to hold him accountable? I mean that is pretty mild. You are correct there can be a hysteria but I think the post asked for him to resign, apologize, and stated he shouldn't be a coach in the state. Those are all things that people have agreed on, on this thread.

I'm not even sure about him never being a coach again, but don't get how talking about the situation is a disproportionate reaction. If a kid did it, a lot of people on here would be talking about parenting, this generations attitude, etc., so I think we should apply a similar standard to adults.
Yeah, I don't think there is hysteria on this thread. From what I understand, this story really blew up all over social media and the guy is just getting roasted. I think it's just the nature of social media.

I think people should still be talking about parenting and the generation's attitude. The kid didn't deserve to be touched but I'd be incredibly disappointed if my son acted like El Amin in this video.

You cannot put hands on another person, epecially a minor, when you are an adult in a position of authority.

Lol, Two weeks ago I was going in to play hockey a coach there had this kid about 12 pinned to the wall just screaming at him. He was screaming about not laying hands on a teammate ever.

Not sure if it was an appropriate way to teach that lesson.
😯🤣🤣🤣

I wonder if there was any history between the player (and the family) and the coach....I'm pretty sure he was the coach at Minnetonka not long ago. He was also a pretty experienced coach....
Was Tonka head coach 2016-19. His Linked In also says he's currently an elementary phy ed teacher for Bloomington Public Schools. Has coached college too.

Was Tonka head coach 2016-19. His Linked In also says he's currently an elementary phy ed teacher for Bloomington Public Schools. Has coached college too.
If you can’t do, you teach. If you can’t teach, you teach phy Ed.

Yeah, I don't think there is hysteria on this thread. From what I understand, this story really blew up all over social media and the guy is just getting roasted. I think it's just the nature of social media.

I think people should still be talking about parenting and the generation's attitude. The kid didn't deserve to be touched but I'd be incredibly disappointed if my son acted like El Amin in this video.
Fair, I'd agree to disagree on that though. Getting roasted for doing something stupid is the nature of the internet. If its disproportionate I'd think you could point to a couple of specific things or statements which nobody has done. What did El-Amin do that I missed?

Fair, I'd agree to disagree on that though. Getting roasted for doing something stupid is the nature of the internet. If its disproportionate I'd think you could point to a couple of specific things or statements which nobody has done. What did El-Amin do that I missed?
I get that this event isn't extraordinary in terms of things being blown out of proportion. That was sort of my point, everything gets blown out of proportion. I don't have facebook, so I can't speak on that specifically, but I've heard from numerous people (including people in this thread) that this event was posted about a ton. It was covered by every single local news station and both papers (I believe on this one). That seems grossly disproportionate to a shoulder shove. Read the responses to his brother's tweet. Again, he shouldn't coach. I think that reaction to a person being shoved is extreme.

What did El Amin do? He stared down the opponents bench and got into a yelling match with the coach of another team. He then clearly said something at the end of the game. He didn't deserve to get pushed by an adult but I'd be embarrassed if that was my son.

Pretty sad the way high school and aau ball has gone. Kids can't score anymore without taunting or chirping every single basket. I'm sure the coach and player were jawing at each other all game, obviously not okay with what the coach here did. Coach has to be the bigger person
Wanting to be a big Baller in the G league is the new goal for HS and Club Hoops kids. The "developmental" leagues overlook it because to their thinking it can be (a) coached out in the league or (b) good for putting butts in seats.

I get that this event isn't extraordinary in terms of things being blown out of proportion. That was sort of my point, everything gets blown out of proportion. I don't have facebook, so I can't speak on that specifically, but I've heard from numerous people (including people in this thread) that this event was posted about a ton. It was covered by every single local news station and both papers (I believe on this one). That seems grossly disproportionate to a shoulder shove. Read the responses to his brother's tweet. Again, he shouldn't coach. I think that reaction to a person being shoved is extreme.

What did El Amin do? He stared down the opponents bench and got into a yelling match with the coach of another team. He then clearly said something at the end of the game. He didn't deserve to get pushed by an adult but I'd be embarrassed if that was my son.
Yeah, doesn't really seem like you can defend your position. "I heard this without any specifics" and speaking more to a kid doing maybe talking to the bench? I guess I'm not sure where the yelling is in the video or if someone had stated he was chirping the bench. Trash talking in sports happens probably 1000x more than a high school coach shoving a player. Clearly said something at the end of the game? I would assume you are basing that on the coaches reaction, but could be wrong. You just don't have much of an articulated stance here other than the coach shouldn't get as much crap as he is, and the player shouldn't have done that. The dude has a history of losing his cool.

If you realize that a coach initiating physical contact with a player, I don't want to say aggressive but not in a friendly manner, can lead to a whole event that could get ugly, I don't think its blowing it out of proportion. This is how massive brawls with players/coaches/fans/parents start. Not hard to realize.

EDIT: I do agree you shouldn't chirp coaches, you are correct on that front, just questioning what was really said.

Public shaming...... You'd make a great communist. The coach made a mistake reacting like that. We don't really have the full story yet, do we? Like both sides....
You embarrass yourself with every post. I honestly worry about your mental stability. Please don’t hurt yourself or anyone else.

You embarrass yourself with every post. I honestly worry about your mental stability. Please don’t hurt yourself or anyone else.
The desire for public shaming thing is- just as I said. It shows totalitarian tendencies. If saying that damages your sensitive self, I apologize. You are the type that will sit down and watch people get cancelled and just be glad it isn't you. The coach did the wrong thing. It is quite likely that the player did as well. Move on. You don't really need to cancel anyone today in order to have a good day.

Because I’ve coached basketball and that is the case in of 99% of squabbles in my experience.

im not blaming officials for this. It is the fault of the individuals. I am saying better officials could’ve prevented this.
You are probably right that better officials could have kept something like this from happening. Problem is there is such a shortage of officials due to the behavior of parents and coaches that sports are stuck with dealing with whoever they can find.

You are probably right that better officials could have kept something like this from happening. Problem is there is such a shortage of officials due to the behavior of parents and coaches that sports are stuck with dealing with whoever they can find.
Huge problem with that.

no officials leads to bad officials
Bad officials leads to complaining about officials
Complaints lead to fewer officials

it exacerbates the problem

Ducking Stool 2.jpg
Bring back the ducking stool!

Seriously, I did ref a little bit but this was many, many, many years ago and those who taught me basically stressed the need to establish authority early in the game and when you blow that whistle, people should wonder if there's a fire drill. As old as I am, I can remember playing in games when the late Jerry Seeman was reffing high school basketball games and when he blew the whistle, he made the perpetrator feel as though he had committed a crime. If you arched an eyebrow, he'd tee you up. I got to know him a little later in life and he was a great guy and really nothing like the guy he was when he was sporting a whistle. Really classy guy.

Huge problem with that.

no officials leads to bad officials
Bad officials leads to complaining about officials
Complaints lead to fewer officials

it exacerbates the problem
Yep, it's a vicious cycle and unfortunately the first group that has to change is the parents and they are probably the least likely to do it.

Has become a massive problem across all youth sports in that they just can't find officials because they simply don't get paid enough to put up with the crap they end up having to put up with.

It is a shame that there is no way to make the parents who complain grab a whistle and go try to do it themselves. Same thing applies to coaching as well to a lesser degree.

Sure hard to tell anything from that video, but a coach should never lay hands on a kid.

That said, if he was mouthing off and one of the opposing players laid a hammer on him, I guess I wouldn't cry about it either.

No need to blow up the life of either person. They both appeared to exhibit some unsportsmanlike behavior. Give the coach and the player a multi-game suspension and there's the consequence for the behavior.

This sign is starting to make its way onto ball fields, focusing on parents versus the coaches. In my experience with coaching, it was the parents that caused by far most of the problems. The situation with the coach in this thread is something I fortunately never saw.

View attachment 16906
Yep. Should be at every gym, rink, soccer, and football field too. Parent behaviour is far and away the worst thing about youth sports.

This guy was the AAU coach for local recruits Nolan Winter, Emmanual Schmitter and others when they were in 8th grade. El-Amin might've been on that roster as well.

Last edited:

Bumping a year old thread here, but we went to the Wayzata - Minnetonka game tonight at WHS and I thought about this. Kid for Tonka (not El-Amin) had a massive dunk in the first few minutes of the game - and immediately got T-ed up for taunting the kid he dunked over. After that, no issues whatsoever. The refs took control from the start.

El-Amin scored his 1000th high school point tonight, and our fans gave him an ovation when they announced it, which was nice. Anyone know where he's going to college?

(Oh, and Wayzata won to take sole possession of first place in the conference.)

Last edited:

I couldn't see what happened. But...

If a coach gives a little shove to a spoiled arrogant brat, I don't see it as a big deal.

Top Bottom