Washington?

akgo4

Reaction score
Just reading on ESPN that Washington is targetting Jedd Fisch. I get that Zona had a good year this year. That said, this guy seamed like he was failing upwards for the longest time? Am I not seeing something?

Just reading on ESPN that Washington is targetting Jedd Fisch. I get that Zona had a good year this year. That said, this guy seamed like he was failing upwards for the longest time? Am I not seeing something?
argument would be he turned around AZ, similar style, and he may bring his young QB with him who looks really good.

I was hoping Leipold would have been interested. I’m not high on Fisch, but he seems to be doing a good job at Arizona.

argument would be he turned around AZ, similar style, and he may bring his young QB with him who looks really good.
I hadnt seen AZ play all year, but this seems to be the most and only success he has had, and potentially going to a place where it is expected now. Hope it goes well if it happens because this comes off as the match made in hell.

I hadnt seen AZ play all year, but this seems to be the most and only success he has had, and potentially going to a place where it is expected now. Hope it goes well if it happens because this comes off as the match made in hell.
Of course Fisch is going to jump at the chance to coach Washington. I know they were turned down by a couple coaches, but I just can’t imagine that Fisch was 3rd choice.

AZ best record in 25 years, so I don’t know how that qualifies, as falling upwards vs. earning it.

Please feel free explain your analysis.

Confirmed on The Athletic -

Arizona’s Jedd Fisch has agreed to become the next coach at Washington, according to a person familiar with the search. Fisch took over a program riding a 12-game losing streak and by year three led Arizona to a 10-3 record and its best finish in 25 years.

AZ best record in 25 years, so I don’t know how that qualifies, as falling upwards vs. earning it.

Arizona’s Jedd Fisch has agreed to become the next coach at Washington, according to a person familiar with the search. Fisch took over a program riding a 12-game losing streak and by year three led Arizona to a 10-3 record and its best finish in 25 years.
Failing upwards meaning his time as an Assistant and then moving into a Head job. His offenses were rated low while he was an Assistant, yet he kept getting shots at high profile jobs. That said, he turned AZ around. More power to him if he can go into WA and be successful, but I'm not sure Adam Weber throwing Tennis Balls helped him in the long run.

If fisch wasn’t associated with Brewster this whole board would be impressed with what he did at AZ
True. This board has followed his career and he had plenty of jobs where he was average, but still kept getting jobs that appeared above his skill set. Good for him and I hope he really did figure it out at Arizona and can keep the Huskies competitive in the B1G.

And he did it in a year the pac 12 was deep

Failing upwards meaning his time as an Assistant and then moving into a Head job. His offenses were rated low while he was an Assistant, yet he kept getting shots at high profile jobs. That said, he turned AZ around. More power to him if he can go into WA and be successful, but I'm not sure Adam Weber throwing Tennis Balls helped him in the long run.
As has been noted by multiple sources, person’s EQ, can be more important than their IQ in one’s career.

He may be a better HC than he is a coordinator; we see the converse happen all the time.

This is funny because Jedd Fisch and young QBs are an awful combination.

He learned at the feet of a disaster.
That is not true. Dude has a rap sheet a mile long of coaching failures. That reputation stretches far beyond Gopher fans. I thought it was ridiculous when Arizona hired him, and still think that this is ridiculous, but I'll say the same thing I did about Bielema. This seems so stupid that it will probably work.

Seems like a big down grade to go from Chris Petersen to DeBoer to Jedd Fisch.

This is funny because Jedd Fisch and young QBs are an awful combination.
Ha. Your football acumen is astounding.

Nic Fifita: 241 of 333 (72.3%) for 2869. 8 6 YPA. 25 TDs, 6 INT. Passer rating 165.9.

Fitita is a freshman, BTW.

Last edited:

Why is there always a reflexive reaction on this board to view anyone previously associated with Gopher footbal with disdain and hate- almost like a jealous ex-spouse who can't fathom that "their" person actually moved on and succeeded after the divorce. I watched AZ football a lot this past year and Fisch did an amazing job. He brought intensity and execution to the O and D. Ditto with Kill's job at NM State.

Ha. Your football acumen is astounding.

Nic Fafita: 241 of 333 (72.3%) for 2869. 8 6 YPA. 25 TDs, 6 INT. Passer rating 165.9.

Fafita is a freshman, BTW.

Uh huh, and how many QBs did he go through to find this guy?

He took the ball from de Laura, who had a QB rating of 161.
their QBs were both studs this year. De Laura got hurt and Fifita never looked back. Apparently they had a pretty solid relationship with each other as well and De Laura took on a mentorship role. Kind of cool/rare to see these days.

Why is there always a reflexive reaction on this board to view anyone previously associated with Gopher footbal with disdain and hate- almost like a jealous ex-spouse who can't fathom that "their" person actually moved on and succeeded after the divorce. I watched AZ football a lot this past year and Fisch did an amazing job. He brought intensity and execution to the O and D. Ditto with Kill's job at NM State.
Do you really not know the answer to this question?

Agree, the only argument against Fisch is it being only one strong year at AZ. That being said AZ has been tough on many previously successful coaches.

This isn't really true. Some certainly are hated but many others are not. For example I don't think there is much if any hatred towards Claeys and while there might have been some for Mason around the time he was fired he is pretty well liked at this point. There are tons of former coordinators and position coaches that are well regarded by the fanbase as well.

Fisch is a bit of a different story because he clearly messed with Adam Weber's head while he was here and the offense was a complete mess under him.

Jedd's problem is that he wanted to run a super complex offense with personnel that couldn't handle it. He needed NFL talent to do what he wanted to do. My guess is he has learned and evolved over the years and has had a decent run of success.

So it is understandable that our fanbase doesn't have the greatest memories of Fisch and his time here. At the same time, if Washington was playing here in 2024 I would not expect Fisch to get booed by more than a handful of fans.

Fisch is a unique coach in that it appears that every job is merely a stepping stone to the next. No loyalty or longevity. If you look at his resume, everything has been one or two years, until Arizona, which was three. As a head coach he's had one winning season. He just was hired by the national runner up with one winning season as a head coach! He must interview really well.

At Washington he'll likely be there for a few years before skipping off to the SEC or NFL.

Top Bottom