Was the 09 MSU vs MN game the worst officiated

Rosemountian

Reaction score
Game you have ever seen?

Both side of the coin it was terrible. The refs had no idea what they were doing. After having a year to think about it, was it the worst officiated game you have ever seen?

I remember some terrible Personal Foul calls.

I know reading some MSU stuff this week, their fans are claiming Minnesota won because the officiating was awful and greatly favored Minnesota.

Refresh me on what all happened...

If what MSU fans are suggesting is true, then it could of been one of the best officiated games ever. :) Our team finally caught a call or two. :)

I remember some terrible Personal Foul calls.

I know reading some MSU stuff this week, their fans are claiming Minnesota won because the officiating was awful and greatly favored Minnesota.

Refresh me on what all happened...
Well, MN set the all time record for most penalties against a single team or something like that. Yet somehow the officials were bad enough to the point where MSU still thought they were slighted even with MN breaking the penalty record.

I actually only saw the last quarter of the game because I was at a high school playoff game that night. When I arrived, all 50k in the stadium were chanting "THESE REFs SUCK"

Well, MN set the all time record for most penalties against a single team or something like that. Yet somehow the officials were bad enough to the point where MSU still thought they were slighted even with MN breaking the penalty record.

I actually only saw the last quarter of the game because I was at a high school playoff game that night. When I arrived, all 50k in the stadium were chanting "THESE REFs SUCK"

Oh yea the 17 penalties. There were a couple of awful PF calls on Minnesota. That is what I remember.

Funny how the the 17 Penalties slipped my mind...we threw for 400 yards and scored 42 points! I just remember it being a blast to be there. Funny how winning clenses the memory :)

They're just mad about the play where the ball bounced off Tow_Arnett that went for a touchdown.

There was a call involving Tow-Arnett that changed the game. I think he caught the ball and then got hit, fumbled and MSU recovered? But the refs ruled after replay that he never had control and called it incomplete. that's all i remember about it though.

For the Gophers, we had 157 yards in Penalties.

They're just mad about the play where the ball bounced off Tow_Arnett that went for a touchdown.

That was a fun play. All the refs had to determine was whether they would have ruled it a catch had Troy S. not caught it on the run for a TD. They determined that if it had hit the ground, it would have been incomplete. Thus it was a TD.

One of the few lucky breaks for a Brew coached team.

There was a call involving Tow-Arnett that changed the game. I think he caught the ball and then got hit, fumbled and MSU recovered? But the refs ruled after replay that he never had control and called it incomplete. that's all i remember about it though.

That's right. There were two Tow-Arnett plays. One immaculate reception type play where Bennett(?) caught the deflection for a TD and another where Tow-Arnett caught it, got rocked and fumbled. Replay somehow overturned it and said incomplete. Bingo.

The Tow-Arnett reverse is still a headscratcher to me...

That was Weber's best game of his college career...damn near brought a tear to my eye cuz of all the criticism he had took up to that point. It amazes me that if you really pay attention that Weber's best performances are the plays with the long ball or when we go vertical...

I just remember the Tow-Arnett play as a particular call, but my general feeling is that the game just went on and on because the refs couldn't leave their handkerchiefs in their pockets. Seems there was a long run by Gray called back on a questionable hold by Kuznia as well, so it's not like every call went our way.

I'd be curious to know if that whole crew was retained as Big 10 officials.

Game you have ever seen?

Both side of the coin it was terrible. The refs had no idea what they were doing. After having a year to think about it, was it the worst officiated game you have ever seen?

I would be hard to beat this year's Penn St. game.

The chant was awesome. It seemed like the entire stadium was shouting it. I would say that was the most exciting and entertaining game of the Brewster 3 1/2 years. A TD on the first play, the crowd was into it the whole game, and a little luck with the 2nd Bennett TD. I brought my dad (who's not a big college football guy) to the game that night and he had a blast.

The chant was awesome. It seemed like the entire stadium was shouting it. I would say that was the most exciting and entertaining game of the Brewster 3 1/2 years. A TD on the first play, the crowd was into it the whole game, and a little luck with the 2nd Bennett TD. I brought my dad (who's not a big college football guy) to the game that night and he had a blast.

Cal, Air Force & MSU have been IMO the most exciting Gopher games in a looooooong. It was simply *AMAZING* to see what a real college atmosphere in Minnesota looked, sounded & felt like. I almost cried after the kickoff at the Air Force game. Nothing in any sport can match the excitement that a college football game at night can bring, NOTHING...

Top Bottom