Was Seth Green going to play RB this year?

hello-world

Reaction score
I just noticed that OurLads had Seth listed on Minnesota's 2-deep, at running back. He seemed to struggle at receiver last year (couldn't get open, poor route running). I hadn't seen anything about this move though. Was he going to transition to RB?

Derrick Henry has made himself into the best pure rusher in the NFL with a pretty similar frame. Would have been fun to see if that could work.

Last edited:

I just noticed that OurLads had Seth listed on Minnesota's 2-deep, at running back. He seemed to struggle at receiver last year (couldn't get open, poor route running). I hadn't seen anything about this move though. Was he going to transition to RB?

Derrick Henry has made himself into the best pure rusher in the NFL with a pretty similar frame. Would have been fun to see if that could work.
Maybe they just consider wildcat QBs as RBs?

Maybe they just consider wildcat QBs as RBs?

I feel like I would have noticed this before now. I reference that website pretty often, and they just updated it last week.

I feel like I would have noticed this before now. I reference that website pretty often, and they just updated it last week.
My guess is it's just a mistake on their part then.

My guess is it's just a mistake on their part then.

Maybe, but given his struggles outside, his success running the ball, Minnesota's log jam at tight end, Tanner Morgan pumping the tires of the true freshman receivers, the fact that Minnesota started taking reps last week, and his build; this move seems like it might not be an accident. They are a professional scouting service. I would be a little surprised if this was unintentional.

Maybe, but given his struggles outside, his success running the ball, Minnesota's log jam at tight end, Tanner Morgan pumping the tires of the true freshman receivers, the fact that Minnesota started taking reps last week, and his build; this move seems like it might not be an accident. They are a professional scouting service. I would be a little surprised if this was unintentional.
I just can't see Seth as an effective every down back unless he was a fullback. I don't see us using a fullback though. I also feel like we would have already heard about it from another source.

I've been pleasantly surprised how effective the wildcat has been with Seth. We all know what it means when he lines up behind center and he and the team still deliver...often behind the RB leading the way. He is rarely stuffed...it does happen of course...but very rare.

I just can't see Seth as an effective every down back unless he was a fullback. I don't see us using a fullback though. I also feel like we would have already heard about it from another source.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking about it, but when I saw it, I thought it could work. Derrick Henry won a Heisman with the exact same build as a first and second down back, and he came in over a 4.5 40 at the combine. If you're trying to give him a shot at the next level, that might be his best bet.

We haven't really seen him as an open field runner so no idea if he could do it, but it might be an experiment worth attempting.

Yeah, that's why I'm asking about it, but when I saw it, I thought it could work. Derrick Henry won a Heisman with the exact same build as a first and second down back, and he came in over a 4.5 40 at the combine. If you're trying to give him a shot at the next level, that might be his best bet.

We haven't really seen him as an open field runner so no idea if he could do it, but it might be an experiment worth attempting.

Henry was a 4.54 40. I don't think Seth is under 4.7.

There's a bunch of things wrong with this depth chart. Cam Wiley as 4th RB, Zack's bro at QB...

I think Green could work as a change of pace, short yardage back, but he's always been a straight line runner. Size wise he may be similar to Henry but Henry is a freak of nature athletically for a guy his size. His high school numbers were off the charts in talent rich Florida, which is why he's considered one fo the best HS RBs ever.

I don't think Green would come close to a 4.54 40. More likely a 4.7- 4.8 range.

There's a bunch of things wrong with this depth chart. Cam Wiley as 4th RB, Zack's bro at QB...

I thought the Wiley thing was maybe just an early camp status difference but yeah, good call on Zack.
Alright, so I guess this was just a bad reference point then.

I see no similarity between Green and Henry.Henry has a super twitch and instincts that are off the charts. I do not care how close they may be in straight line speed, i care about quickness in a small space and burst. Henry actually runs clear of people downfield, Green can not do that.

I see no similarity between Green and Henry.Henry has a super twitch and instincts that are off the charts. I do not care how close they may be in straight line speed, i care about quickness in a small space and burst. Henry actually runs clear of people downfield, Green can not do that.

To clarify, I was not trying to imply that Seth Green would be anywhere near as good as Derrick Henry. Not even in the same discussion. I was saying that his size and foot speed might not necessarily be a hindrance to a first and second down back. Setting him up on a screen like Alabama does with Henry in that video would probably work wonders in the B1G. It might not work against Clemson, but Minnesota is probably not going to play Clemson anytime soon.

I love these Seth Green threads. Sometimes they talk about him becoming a lead target at receiver. This one talks about him possibly being a running back....all this speculation about these other positions he is going to play and yet they just gloss over the key point in all of it.

Depth charts might not know what to do with him position wise but Seth has an extremely well defined role on this team at this point. He is a Wildcat QB....end of story. He is a non factor as a WR and would be a non factor as a RB.

I really don't understand why he is not listed as a QB on the depth chart since that is his primary position. Sure he lines up at WR sometimes, but he isn't an active target in the passing game and it would take a ton of injuries at the WR position for him to become one.

He is very good as a wildcat QB. I hope they continue to expand his options to throw a pass out of the wildcat as that would make him even more dangerous as a short yardage runner if teams had to truly respect his ability to drop back and pass it. But regardless of all that, his role is well defined at this point in his Gopher career.

I will clear it up for you guys, he should be moved to LB. Perfect size for a dominant LB.

Top Bottom