Was Claeys as honest as we thought he was?..

Gopher028

Reaction score
Going in the wayback machine...

This is a guy who begged for the job citing continuity,
then first order of business, fired his friend and long time
Kill Offensive Coordinator, Matt Limegrover and QB coach
Jim Zebrowski (and I think he used Limey as a scapegoat
for the Michigan debacle...but nevertheless)
As a result..
Lost 4-star D. Snelson, 4-star S. Foster and 3-star Matt Kegel, others?

Then hired a guy who was arguably worse than Limey.

I hate how all this was handled and the actions of the administration, but
thinking thoroughly about all this top to bottom, I'm coming around
that Claeys wasn't the long term answer, that his success this year
was based largely on the foundation Kill laid and that under Tracy
those good improvements would start falling apart eventually.
Discipline was clearly already starting to fall apart.
$500K buyout was the best time to do it.

To me, the worst part of this is losing Sawvel and Mike Sherels..

TC was not Coyle's guy and plain and simple was not the long term answer for him. If this had not fallen in Coyle's lap he would have manufactured some reason to move on and find his ideal coach who will excite the fan base and sell tickets like Lucia does across the street at Mariucci. At least that is my assumption since he extended Lucia recently.

And I speak of Lucia with tounge firmly planted in cheek since Mariucci has the worst "atmosphere" and most apathy I have seen in 35+ years of following Gopher Hockey.

And if Claeys didn't fire Limey and Z, he'd have been ripped up and down by oodles of people for not making a move when everyone knew the offense was a problem.

And if Claeys didn't fire Limey and Z, he'd have been ripped up and down by oodles of people for not making a move when everyone knew the offense was a problem.

Notice any bit of difference in the offense this year than last? Other than we played much crappier competition..
That move to fire Limey had an immediate negative impact and contradicted his entire bid for the job.

Notice any bit of difference in the offense this year than last? Other than we played much crappier competition..
That move to fire Limey had an immediate negative impact and contradicted his entire bid for the job.

Stats comparing the two offenses please or you are just talking out of your a**.

I was as upset over our nasty offense as the next guy but the last statement makes little sense. If he hired a guy who turned around our offense much like TCU had done a year and a half ago, the argument "but he said continuity...!" Would have never been uttered.

He fired two guys that cost the U zero transfers and potentially 3 recruits (there's no guarantee they would've stayed if we kept Limey/Z). Just stop it with that nonsense.

Top Bottom