Was anyone else extremely disturbed that Ryan Grant was starting at LB?

how many teams had all three of their LB's in Pro camps????? We had above ave LB's last yr. gloved!!

I think I'm more disturbed that Reeves isn't starting in front of him or Rallis for that matter.

He was banged up earlier in the year. I'm still trying to convince myself that's why he hasn't taken over a starting role yet.

His father says he's looking better, but not 100%. Don't know how you would be after the injuries he's had.

Meh? I was responding to the guy that thought that Rallis should have been starting in front of Grant. Unless you meant to quote MBAGuy, whom seemed to question the validity of Rallis' injury.

Get used to seeing Grant on the field. The next coaching staff could well go with a 3-4. The starting LBs just might be Rallis-Beal-Grant-Cooper.

I don't think there is anyway that Grant starts ahead of Tinsley if that scenario plays out. If Grant starts (big if) it will be because Cooper gets moved to safety (he'd still have to beat out Reaves and Hill).

The reason why Ryan Grant is starting is because he is one of our better LB's versus the pass. With the way our defensive backs have been playing, I think they wanted a guy who at least made the right reads at the LB position against the pass. He is not the athlete that any of our LBs are, but he is not a putrid athlete or anything. Programs we are supposed to be emulating (Iowa and Sconny) always get contribution from the Ryan Grant's of their respective programs. I don't think Ryan Grant will ever be a top flight Big 10 LB, but Ryan Grant contributing to this football team ranks about 595 on things that disturb me about this program.

I knew what you meant Sonny. I agree with you. Our talent is not what we were led to believe and the coaching isn't helpful.
Just real clear Brewster has to be replaced at the end of the year. He can't be given another year, but I fear that might be the situation with the AD and the president each hanging on.

I do believe that Brew has to be gone this year, but Ryan Grant is certainly proof that our talent isn't what we were lead to believe.

Programs like Iowa and Wisconsin always get contributions from guys that no one really expected to get contributions from. Recruiting rankings aren't a gurantee (they are still important), there are going to be guys like JJ Watts, Jim Leonhard, AJ Edds, etc., who aren't highly touted but they come in and beat out the blue chippers. Now, i'm not saying that Ryan Grant is going to become one of those guys, but I have no reason to believe that he won't be a decent Big 10 LBer. Heck, two of the better Gophers in recent memory (Barber and Decker) weren't blockbuster recruits.

Top Bottom