Want to buy Bruce Smith's Heisman Trophy? It'll cost you.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
saw this online the other day. the original Heisman Trophy presented to Bruce Smith is up for auction. Bids are being taken through Feb 4th. better have some cash - it's estimated that the trophy will go for upwards of $400,000.

from PSA - an authentication and grading service for sports memorabilia:

Laguna Niguel, Calif. (January 25, 2023) – SCP Auctions’ special February Finest Auction is now underway, with 67 high-end sports card and memorabilia lots across all categories. The 10-day auction will run through Saturday, February 4th at www.scpauctions.com.

For vintage card collectors, there is an abundance of significant offerings including a 1909-11 T206 complete set fully PSA graded with a 4.27 Set Rating, a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle graded PSA EX 5, and one of a few known autographed 1934 Goudey #37 Lou Gehrig examples.

Some highly historic awards are also part of the superb sale, led by the 1941 Heisman Memorial Trophy presented to Univ. of Minnesota halfback Bruce Smith just two days after the tragic bombing of Pearl Harbor. Ted Williams’ 1947 Triple Crown Trophy and USA Hockey star player Steve Christoff’s gold medal from the 1980 “Miracle On Ice” team are also being offered.

For more information and to register to bid, visit www.SCPauctions.com or call (949) 831-3700.

Auction Highlights
1941 Original Heisman Memorial Trophy Presented to Bruce Smith - The Most Historically Significant Early Heisman Awarded Two Days After Pearl Harbor Bombing! — $400,000+

Buy it and donate the trophy back to the U.
Both the school and the player gets a trophy. You can go see Smith's trophy in the hall of fame, located in the Football Performance Center (open to the public!). I think it's located there- if not there, it's in the HOF located in Huntington Bank Stadium.

Actually pretty sad the Smith family is putting up for auction. Can't imagine doing so unless there were dire financial circumstances

Actually pretty sad the Smith family is putting up for auction. Can't imagine doing so unless there were dire financial circumstances
I think I once read that they sold it decades ago.

I don't think someone (or the family) has to be in "dire financial circumstances" to want to capitalize on obtaining $400k.

That's a lot of cash to do something significant to change one's living circumstances in a variety of ways (housing, education, health...).

I think I once read that they sold it decades ago.
Yes, the family sold the Heisman about 15 years ago to help pay medical expenses for Bruce's widow. Sold for just under $400K.

I want the Steve Christoff gold medal.
Wow, I glossed over that. He was my favorite of the '79 NCAA Championship & Miracle crew. Also got off to a fantastic start with the North Stars.

Went down to Faribault this fall to see if the high school had a display of Smith memorabilia. My wife came along (we were riding the bike path from Faribault to Mankato). She wondered about security and if we would be challenged. School was in session and the front doors were locked. These ladies with keys were ahead of us and we just followed them inside! There were kids everywhere as it was a break between classes. We went to the main desk and the lady couldn't have been nicer. Not a question about who we were. We perused a Smith display on the wall and then she called the custodian to take us downstairs to see the main display! He was more than happy to squire us through the continuing traffic. It was a very fun half hour but we marveled at the lack of security. Maybe my wife's presence was disarming and we are just a couple of old white people, but still there was no one to stop us at the door if we had bad intentions.

Both the school and the player gets a trophy. You can go see Smith's trophy in the hall of fame, located in the Football Performance Center (open to the public!). I think it's located there- if not there, it's in the HOF located in Huntington Bank Stadium.
I believe it is in Huntington Bank (Denny Stanford HOF).

It would be nice if it could go back to Faribault High School or the Rice County Historical Museum.
Went down to Faribault this fall to see if the high school had a display of Smith memorabilia. My wife came along (we were riding the bike path from Faribault to Mankato). She wondered about security and if we would be challenged. School was in session and the front doors were locked. These ladies with keys were ahead of us and we just followed them inside! There were kids everywhere as it was a break between classes. We went to the main desk and the lady couldn't have been nicer. Not a question about who we were. We perused a Smith display on the wall and then she called the custodian to take us downstairs to see the main display! He was more than happy to squire us through the continuing traffic. It was a very fun half hour but we marveled at the lack of security. Maybe my wife's presence was disarming and we are just a couple of old white people, but still there was no one to stop us at the door if we had bad intentions.

I think it's weird to own someone else's award, unless it's a member of your immediate family or it was given to you by that person.

I think it's weird to own someone else's award, unless it's a member of your immediate family or it was given to you by that person.
I agree. To me these are personal things ...

A baseball, a bat used in a game... they were in the game. I get that. An award? Just seems like a strange thing to buy.

I will have to ask what the story is again, but my wife's family is from Faribult and has a babysitting connection to Bruce Smith.

Top Bottom