Walley playing man to man

kg21

Reaction score
Walley can play straight up man to man and do it well.

I am very curious to see if we can find someone who can do the same.

If we can just man up on both corners, we can do a lot of other stuff with our defense.

Anyone know how Ortiz looks?

Walley can play straight up man to man and do it well.

I am very curious to see if we can find someone who can do the same.

If we can just man up on both corners, we can do a lot of other stuff with our defense.

Anyone know how Ortiz looks?
You mean someone like Coney Durr to replace Coney Durr who has been a great man cover corner?

I said it in another thread. Walley was playing high school ball last year. His future is sky high.

Coney Durr is probably the most "unsung" incredible Gopher player of my lifetime. He was a treasure.
I agree! It’s a pity he didn’t get a senior bowl invite or all conference honors. Hope he gets a combine invite and gets paid

Durr is one of those guys that nobody talks about because the ball is never near them. Which is a very good thing for a corner.

IMO he's the best DB who's played for us in at least 10 years

Derek Burns touched on this on the latest GopherGridiron Radio podcast. He basically said that the Gophers played a lot of soft coverage in the back this year and if/when they trusted the corners to play a little more man that this defense could take another jump. As for Ortiz, the last I heard was that he was more of an inside/nickel (Justus Harris position) than an outside corner. Losing Dickerson at the last minute from the '21 class really hurt. I know the staff was looking at corners and safeties in the portal last year, but just couldn't close on any. This year they are in on the ACU kid and I am sure they'll look at other CB's with starting experience too when they enter the portal.

Derek Burns touched on this on the latest GopherGridiron Radio podcast. He basically said that the Gophers played a lot of soft coverage in the back this year and if/when they trusted the corners to play a little more man that this defense could take another jump. As for Ortiz, the last I heard was that he was more of an inside/nickel (Justus Harris position) than an outside corner. Losing Dickerson at the last minute from the '21 class really hurt. I know the staff was looking at corners and safeties in the portal last year, but just couldn't close on any. This year they are in on the ACU kid and I am sure they'll look at other CB's with starting experience too when they enter the portal.
Dickerson hardly played at Oregon….interesting.

They still have the young trio of Glaze, Fleming, and Pless. Howard and Smith are serviceable if they come back. I was surprised to see Smith’s play time get dialed back so much after starting early in the year. I thought he was playing pretty good, but seemed to be passed by Walley and Howard, not sure if he sustained injuries or what happened.

They still have the young trio of Glaze, Fleming, and Pless. Howard and Smith are serviceable if they come back. I was surprised to see Smith’s play time get dialed back so much after starting early in the year. I thought he was playing pretty good, but seemed to be passed by Walley and Howard, not sure if he sustained injuries or what happened.
Wondered the same thing. I believe in one of the games they said there was an ankle injury?

I said it in another thread. Walley was playing high school ball last year. His future is sky high.

Walley has the look of an NFL prospect. Super high ceiling.

Coney Durr is probably the most "unsung" incredible Gopher player of my lifetime. He was a treasure.

Durr has been a mainstay of a Big Ten defense for several years. No doubt that NFL teams have taken notice.

Durr is one of those guys that nobody talks about because the ball is never near them. Which is a very good thing for a corner.

IMO he's the best DB who's played for us in at least 10 years

DB? not over Winfield Jr for sure, but maybe behind him or maybe #1 if you're just talking CBs. But I also think Eric Murray has a real strong case there.

DB? not over Winfield Jr for sure, but maybe behind him or maybe #1 if you're just talking CBs. But I also think Eric Murray has a real strong case there.
I mean St. Juste was really good too and Myrick had his days… but Durr was right there!

Top Bottom