Walley graded as top freshman CB

Awesome. Great find by PJ and Rossi.

Wasn't there a poster here talking about how bad Walley is? LOL

And best part is he has at least two more years of college ball to play. Going to be fun to watch, or maybe not, since teams rarely throw at the really good cover corners so they go unnoticed a lot of the time.

Awesome. Great find by PJ and Rossi.

Wasn't there a poster here talking about how bad Walley is? LOL
Yep, because he occasionally gets burned. Doesn’t play 100% perfect all the time yet which is inexcusable for a freshman.

I had to log in just to leave this message:

Should it be the case that you read this, Justin, know that many of us recognize that you were thrown into duty and called upon to perform at the highest level while at the same time familiarizing yourself with a new environment and all the demands that come with it. You did it! Even the most talented can't usually achieve such a feat, because it requires mental dexterity and toughness - not just athletic skill. You, sir, have done a job that most of us on this board never could have done! Congratulations. What you have done is admirable, and we recognize it as such, and, in fact, admire it.

Yep, because he occasionally gets burned. Doesn’t play 100% perfect all the time yet which is inexcusable for a freshman.
He got burned on the deep ball against Iowa. But for a true freshman he played extremely well at one of the hardest positions on the field. When you mess up as a DB there is a good chance the play is going for a TD or long gain.

I had to log in just to leave this message:

Should it be the case that you read this, Justin, know that many of us recognize that you were thrown into duty and called upon to perform at the highest level while at the same time familiarizing yourself with a new environment and all the demands that come with it. You did it! Even the most talented can't usually achieve such a feat, because it requires mental dexterity and toughness - not just athletic skill. You, sir, have done a job that most of us on this board never could have done! Congratulations. What you have done is admirable, and we recognize it as such, and, in fact, admire it.
Well said!

He got burned on the deep ball against Iowa. But for a true freshman he played extremely well at one of the hardest positions on the field. When you mess up as a DB there is a good chance the play is going for a TD or long gain.
Another thing to remember is that with Durr on the other side, teams were going to be going after Walley pretty much every game, all season long. He was always going to get a much larger portion of the passing targets his way.

Great job, Mr. Walley!!

Another thing to remember is that with Durr on the other side, teams were going to be going after Walley pretty much every game, all season long. He was always going to get a much larger portion of the passing targets his way.

Great job, Mr. Walley!!
Yeah, the fact that he played most of the season and there were only a few instances where he actually played like a true freshman is pretty amazing.

He also got his signature moment with the pick against Wisconsin that is going to forever endear him to Gopher fans.

Will be fun to see how he develops.

Then there’s that studly interception that may have changed the game against Bucky!

I could certainly see Walley be a 1st round pick! We have such an embarrassment of riches in the secondary… I’m expecting Ortiz to be right there with him once he gets his opportunity! Pless, Harris, Green, Dixon… Howden and Nubin have both grown so much… Can’t remember if they are out of eligibility or coming back, but if so I’d expect them both to be all conference next year…

I was being sarcastic. I'm a big Walley fan.

To me the biggest thing is how he bounced back after Iowa (directly burned for first two 2 TD's, dropped interception).

Let alone being a freshman, that could put a lot of guys into a "feeling sorry about yourself" funk.

Nope, not this young man. Came back and balled out!

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but a lot of the higher ranked CBs likely haven't played or played sparingly as they are buried on top ranked teams. Still, it's good to see that the position is in great hands after Durr moves on!

He looked good and stood out back in Spring practices.

Definitely glad to have Walley on team, hopefully another CB can step up and fill Coney Durr's position.

Some people think a good CB is supposed to nearly every pass. Even the best CBs give up pass plays and get called for PI.
Walley's worst plays (in my recollection) were PI calls. I can't think of many times he was burned for a big play, I'm sure I'm missing something. In college football, pass interference is not that horrible of a play. It's not good, but it's the equivalent of letting a guy catch a 15 yard out.

He was good right away and he got better every week. He looked like an NFL player against the Badgers.

Yeah, the fact that he played most of the season and there were only a few instances where he actually played like a true freshman is pretty amazing.

He also got his signature moment with the pick against Wisconsin that is going to forever endear him to Gopher fans.

Will be fun to see how he develops.

That interception may very well have been the difference in the game. The Gophers were doing the Iowa game FG parade again.....and that INT put us in position to score a TD and take the lead. Completely turned the momentum right off that bat in the second half and the Gophers rode that momentum through to the end.

To begin the season.....I expected the offense to be the side of the ball that won us games due to the experience there. Not the case. The defense was outstanding after they gelled. Hopefully Fleck will be able to go out and bring in a couple more Pinckney/Gibbens quality players.

Congratulations, Justin! A very pleasant surprise - and a future All-American and trophy winner if you stay three years at least.

No question Walley has that "it" factor that's so uncommon.

On a side note, for all the player rating junkies, how can this be? He's only a 3-star!

Don’t we have a 4⭐️Ortiz also starting next year after redshirting? Our backfield could be good

Top Bottom