Walk ons

Ole

Reaction score
Per Sid:
8 Walk ons:
The Gophers' 2011 football squad will include eight walk-ons, and they all are in summer school because, under a new NCAA rule, the university can pay for their school expenses just like the athletic department does for the varsity players who all are in summer school. The group includes tight ends Gavin Bronson of Apple Valley and Ernie Heifort of Bemidji, defensive end Jared Herrman of Falcon Heights, kickers David Platner of Eden Prairie and Peter Mortell of Green Bay (Wis.) Notre Dame Academy, linebacker Dominic Schultz of Port Huron, Mich., wide receiver Luke Trucilla of Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa., and offensive lineman Jon Christenson of Minnetonka.

We've heard about most of these guys.
Any info on Bronson or Herrman?
Bronson appears to be a basketball/track guy at 6'4'' 240

Anyone see these two play?

I don't know anything about these kids but it will be interesting to see what some walk ons/former walk ons are going to do for the U in the next few years.

Mike Rallis
Austin Hahn
AJ Barker
Cameron Botticelli
and Aaron Hill already are Walk Ons / Former Walk Ons that should have a pretty big impact this year.

Guys like Trucilla, Engel, Heifort, Kloss, Schultz and the two kickers seem to be guys who will help soon (hopefully more)

Question on Walk-ons

Ole stated above that the following new walk-ons will be attending summer school: tight ends Gavin Bronson of Apple Valley and Ernie Heifort of Bemidji, defensive end Jared Herrman of Falcon Heights, kickers David Platner of Eden Prairie and Peter Mortell of Green Bay (Wis.) Notre Dame Academy, linebacker Dominic Schultz of Port Huron, Mich., wide receiver Luke Trucilla of Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa., and offensive lineman Jon Christenson of Minnetonka.

All but Gavin Bronson, Jared Herrman, and Dominic Schultz are listed on the official roster. My questions are:
  • Who are these people?
  • Are they preferred walk-ons?
  • Will they be attending fall camp?

I remember reading earlier that there is a limit to how many people can attend fall camp. I am not sure if this is right though. I also thought I read that the limit is 105. Will any of these three plus any of the other five already on the official roster be impacted by the rule?

Ole stated above that the following new walk-ons will be attending summer school: tight ends Gavin Bronson of Apple Valley and Ernie Heifort of Bemidji, defensive end Jared Herrman of Falcon Heights, kickers David Platner of Eden Prairie and Peter Mortell of Green Bay (Wis.) Notre Dame Academy, linebacker Dominic Schultz of Port Huron, Mich., wide receiver Luke Trucilla of Cathedral Prep in Erie, Pa., and offensive lineman Jon Christenson of Minnetonka.

All but Gavin Bronson, Jared Herrman, and Dominic Schultz are listed on the official roster. My questions are:
  • Who are these people?
  • Are they preferred walk-ons?
  • Will they be attending fall camp?

I remember reading earlier that there is a limit to how many people can attend fall camp. I am not sure if this is right though. I also thought I read that the limit is 105. Will any of these three plus any of the other five already on the official roster be impacted by the rule?

They are already attending summer school paid for by the U so they are preferred and will be attending camp.

I did a little looking, Bronson is fairly accomplished as an athlete, good basketball player, ran an 11.8 100 at 6'4'' 240 so that's pretty good, fine for a TE. Claims a 4.5 40 but no way that's real, under 4.8 would be great.
Schultz was discussed on signing day, between the tackles type MLB, special teams potential.
Herrman is a mystery to me so far, Falcon heights could mean several schools.
Welcome aboard boys! Work hard and earn yourself PT and a place at the table!

Schultz had a nice article written about him but it isn't up anymore (it was referenced from MV over at Fringe Bowl).

Roster limit during Fall camp is 105 up until the start of school or the first game, whichever is first. After that the roster limit goes up, 120 rings a bell but it could be higher.

How can the U pay for summer school for walk-ons? Is this a new rule?

Good Question

Roster limit during Fall camp is 105 up until the start of school or the first game, whichever is first. After that the roster limit goes up, 120 rings a bell but it could be higher.

How can the U pay for summer school for walk-ons? Is this a new rule?

It doesn't make sense to me either. The comment is from Sid's column in today's Strib and Sid does say it is a new rule. It is not my intent to pick on Sid's accuracy since he is probably more lucid than I will be at his age bit I would like a second opinion. The fact that the walk-ons are here now may give what some credence to what Sid wrote but it certainly doesn't prove it.

I would also be interest to know if preferred walk-ons receive any benefits such as meals, scholastic support, etc during the regular school year. Maybe these rules changed if the rules for aid for walk-ons for summer school changed.

When I played at a smaller school some years ago...

The room and board had to be paid for Walk-ons during summer practice, but going to school wasn't possible or paid for because practice was held at the same times that classes were offered. I had heard about a rule change, but it seems odd that would be it, since a walk-on means you or some other scholarship pays for classes and fees.

It could be an extension of the rules for Fall camp when they are allowed to pay for food and housing. Obviously school wasn't included because of two-a-days. Sure would be a nice way to get a free semester of credits each summer to reduce the cost of schooling.

Jared Herrman?

Today in the FBT blog MV wrote "EL SID has a list of Gopher preferred walk-ons for the class of 2011, most of which we already knew about. Of the new names, Gavin Bronson from Apple Valley is a 6’5″ tight end walk-on who also played basketball in high school, and Jared Herrman from Falcon Heights, but EL SID likely meant Jared Hartman (how could his ghost writer forget that last name?) from Cretin Derham-Hall, a long snapper."

Hopefully this solves the question of "Who is this mystery man, Jared Herrman?"

Historically the U has had really good success with kids who were mobile enough to play Bball, and tough enough to play DE or TE in high school. I like that profile a lot. Kids with that size and athleticism can develop into players at three or four college positions. I believe Iowa does a lot of that.

Top Bottom