Wait, wait, wait!! Did Arizona just hire a guy with zero HC experience?

I wonder if any programs ever wish they would have made a different hire? Maybe Montana made a big mistake.

I wonder if any assistants from high stature programs ever struggle as head coaches? I can think of a few.

I wonder if the Tom Moe (or was it Dienhart) ever thinks... I wish we would have gone with that Assistant at Gonzaga instead of the head coach back in 1999? Probably not because he didn't have any head coaching experience or background at a high stature program.

Just think if Iowa would have hired Brad Stevens instead of his head coach, Todd Lickliter. They didn't, thankfully, but Butler took a flyer on an assistant coach working in what had been a pretty average program.

I trust that Mark Coyle saw something in Ben besides saving money, or the color of his skin alone. I trust that Coyle really does want to win and felt aligned most strongly with the hire he made, seeing more upside and potential with Ben Johnson than coaches with head experience he talked with or considered.

I think PJ Fleck is obnoxious and he bugs me. Yet, Mark Coyle saw more than that and thought it could work here. It is working to this point. He may or may not be right on this one, but he didn't settle with the hire - he does want to win and hired the person he thought was best. He could have taken more time if he wanted, but he moved on the guy he wanted.

Yeah, I am sure that they do and Ben Johnson's underwhelming resume is certainly not a guarantee that he will fail.

I actually have zero issue with the folks who think Ben will be successful, it's just annoying that some of them are pretending that he hire is in-line with Arizona hire or the Izzo hire. It's a tired argument.

One of the assistants came from one of the top programs in the country with one of the best head coaches in the country and recruited some of the best players in the world.

The other came from a team trending downwards after he spent 5 seasons with a coach who was just fired for performance reasons.

These are exactly the same. Just lucky Coyle got his man before AZ swooped in and stole him.

Last time I checked, Arizona was a P6 program.

According to many posters on here, only a total joke of a program like Minnesota would ever hire a guy who had only been an assistant coach.

What gives? Did Arizona move down to D2? How can their AD have a job anymore?
I don’t want to hear anyone complaining now about posters who criticize the BJ hire. It was all quiet, no one was making that point anymore and now you kick it all back off. Might as well kick off a COVID discussion as well. You make an argument against a straw man that no one was arguing. If you think the AZ hire was like for like that’s ridiculous. BJ’s resume is not a good resume, he does not get the HC job at any other P5 school. The Gonzaga hire, would get hired at most all of the P5 schools.

I literally posted all of my profiles, the Gonzaga hire fell in my third highest profile. So literally the Gonzaga hire was one of my most ideal hire profiles and the BJ hire falls in my second to worst profile. Here is what I posted before:
Head at blue blood - you have run a successful program at the highest level, and their name has cache that raises the program's profile, but this is an unrealistic get.

Head at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - they have run a successful program, taken it from nothing and turned it into something. This profile is barely below 'Head at blue blood' and I could easily be talked into moving this one ahead depending on the details of the two candidates. This is the profile that I believe is gettable by Minnesota and should have been the one pursued.

Asst at non blue, successful program, built in their tenure - seen how a build of a program has been done, hopefully this person took notes and was one of the key pieces to the turn around. In fact my interviewing would be focused on finding out if this person was a behind the curtain key piece to the rise, if they weren't I would pass.

Head at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - they have run a successful program, they haven't proven they know how to take a program from A to B, but have successfully run a program and at a minimum maintained its success level.

Asst at blue blood - seen how the best do it, a lot of risk because they may not know how to run a program, and their experience may not translate. This category and the remaining ones are high risk.

Asst at non blue, successful program, was good before their tenure - seen how to run a successful program, but they may not have taken good notes or the model they've seen may not translate to B1G.

Asst at non blue, unsuccessful program - only roadmap they have is in their head, that they came up with. They have never run a program and haven't had it modeled to them in how to succeed in it. Only hope is that they get lucky and figure it out faster than 90% of all coaches, possible but unlikely. The only reason they are not in the last profile is because they haven't proven yet that if they run a program, the program will suck.

Head at non blue, unsuccessful program - they didn't figure it out before, what's the odds they will figure it out now?

Last edited:

They hired an assistant who just won a national championship. Also, it’s more than likely that the program is going to be facing some pretty serious NCAA sanctions.
They got a Baylor assistant?

No. For many of those comments, there was no qualifier that said "assistant with this experience is okay, but Ben is not."

Simply put, it was "This is Minnesota. We are in the Big Ten. You don't hire an assistant with zero head coach experience."
Considering the pool of applicants the Gophers were working with at the time. Coyle CANCELLED interviews with experienced coaches to hire one with none. If ben had just got done with a national title run, you honestly think the reaction would be the same?

I wonder if any programs ever wish they would have made a different hire? Maybe Montana made a big mistake.
I doubt that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana_Grizzlies_basketball#Season_by_season_records

Larry Krystkowiak, who was born there and played there, was successful in his two years as the Griz head coach, and he was then replaced by the guy who just took Oregon State to the Elite Eight.

The current head coach (another former player) won their conf (regular and tourney) and went to the NCAA's in 2017-18 and 18-19, but has regressed the last two years.

I trust that Mark Coyle saw something in Ben besides saving money, or the color of his skin.
Had nothing to do with saving money. Could've had Craig Smith at the same price or cheaper.

I think PJ Fleck is obnoxious and he bugs me. Yet, Mark Coyle saw more than that and thought it could work here. It is working to this point.
👍

Right after you prove that he's the best international recruiter in the world. :rolleyes:

Such a silly thing to say. He doesn't have some X-men gift. He doesn't do something that no one else has figured out how to do.

I'm perfectly fine if you just said things that were not so absurdly hyperbolic. Say something much more reasonable, like "he has recruited some nice international players to Gonzaga".

Right after you prove that he's the best international recruiter in the world. :rolleyes:

Such a silly thing to say. He doesn't have some X-men gift. He doesn't do something that no one else has figured out how to do.

I'm perfectly fine if you just said things that were not so absurdly hyperbolic. Say something much more reasonable, like "he has recruited some nice international players to Gonzaga".
Except, he is widely recognized as the best. He has the most connections, best reputation, and proven effectiveness.
How many assistant coaches have a 5 page SI feature describing them as such?https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...nzaga-recruiting-tommy-lloyd-profile-mark-few

Except, he is widely recognized as the best. He has the most connections, best reputation, and proven effectiveness.
:rolleyes:

Yep, only to Gonzaga. That's the only school they'll play for.

It can't be the case, for example, that the blue bloods don't need to, and so don't, recruit internationally. 🤔

The AZ BB job is a very difficult one because of the memory of Lute Olsen and national championships and the living in the past culture.
Hansen, who is Tucson's Sid Hartman, wanted desperately to have the new coach be one of AZ's former players-"To have AZ blood".
Hansen was not happy this AM.
The new coach will have to deal with te NCAA sanctions-if they ever come down before the next ice age.

The AZ BB job is a very difficult one because of the memory of Lute Olsen and national championships and the living in the past culture.
Hansen, who is Tucson's Sid Hartman, wanted desperately to have the new coach be one of AZ's former players-"To have AZ blood".
Hansen was not happy this AM.
The new coach will have to deal with te NCAA sanctions-if they ever come down before the next ice age.
Stoudamire and Simon are good coaches too. Lloyd must've really killed the interview. Surprised he left honestly, he's been there so long.

I'll simply say this: Arizona, North Carolina and the like are in a much better position to take a flier on an assistant coach. Why? Because they're established programs that have had loads of success and are national level programs.

Minnesota? Yeah, about that, get back to me when any of that is even close to the case. In fact, get back to me when the Gophers can string together more than a few seasons without being a doormat in the Big 10 and then I'll give taking a flier on a career assistant a big thumbs up.

Bottom line? Any attempt to compare the situations is complete apples to oranges.

The Minnesota program is a dumpster fire compared to what the new coach will inherit at Arizona, North Carolina, etc. Maybe NCAA sanctions will gut Arizona like they did the U and they'll eventually fall to the Gophers' current level. But for now, the situations aren't even close.

I'll simply say this: Arizona, North Carolina and the like are in a much better position to take a flier on an assistant coach. Why? Because they're established programs that have had loads of success and will have high levels of support from their fanbase.

Minnesota? Yeah, about that, get back to me when any of that is even close to the case. In fact, get back to me when the Gophers can string together more than a few seasons without being a doormat in the Big 10 and then I'll give taking a flier on a career assistant a big thumbs up.

Bottom line? Any attempt to compare the situations is complete apples to oranges.

The Minnesota program is a dumpster fire compared to what the new coach will inherit at Arizona, North Carolina, etc. Maybe NCAA sanctions will gut Arizona like they did the U and they'll eventually fall to the Gophers' current level. But for now, the hires aren't even close.
👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

Yep, only to Gonzaga. That's the only school they'll play for.

It can't be the case, for example, that the blue bloods don't need to, and so don't, recruit internationally. 🤔
I hate to defend Built but they do recruit international players. Most of the best rated and best NBA ones don’t go to Gonzaga. But they’ve had some nice international guys.
Shai Gilgeous Alexander, RJ Barrett, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Jamal Murray, Gorgui Dieng, Al Horford all played for what I consider blue bloods. Not sure where they all grew up but an example. Lots of Canadians in college hoops.

That's rich coming off your performance in here the last two weeks, Robert Downey Jr.

I started ONE ridiculous point to make a point to some of the whiny babies in here. By my count, I've got at least 12 more to catch up to you.

Come on WriterGoph. You went full retard man, never go full retard. Ask Sean Penn, I am Sam, he went full retard and went home empty handed. Never go full retard.

Come on WriterGoph. You went full retard man, never go full retard. Ask Sean Penn, I am Sam, he went full retard and went home empty handed. Never go full retard.

How would you explain your own behavior the past couple weeks? I hate to break the news but MENSA won't be calling anytime soon.

Nobody has done less with so much volume. Slider, you stink.

Last time I checked, Arizona was a P6 program.

According to many posters on here, only a total joke of a program like Minnesota would ever hire a guy who had only been an assistant coach.

What gives? Did Arizona move down to D2? How can their AD have a job anymore?
They also hired Jedd Fisch. So there's that.

The seven year failed experience with Steve Wojciechowski as head coach of Marquette demonstrates that a "tenured assistant from a top program" does not always become a great head coach. At least not the first time around. But how do you create new head coaches if you don't give assistants a chance?

Top Bottom