Volleyball Recruiting - 2023

This is huge. With Wucherer (likely to be ranked the top OH) already committed and now Choboy (consensus top libero) Hugh could very well have another #1 recruiting class in 2023.

Laney and McKenna named to the US-U18 team.

Welcome aboard. What do we know about this setter?

The way this season is going and not knowing anything about the recruits for this year and out, I just want to say RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!!!! After the last few years with health issues and continuing injuries, we need more healthy bodies on that roster. It has gotten mighty thin at times.

Welcome aboard. What do we know about this setter?
I don't know anything about her, but SSS' little sister is a junior at Wayzata and is outstanding. Not quite at the level of Kennedy Orr, but really, really good. I find it hard to believe she won't be a Gopher but you never know.

I don't know anything about her, but SSS' little sister is a junior at Wayzata and is outstanding. Not quite at the level of Kennedy Orr, but really, really good. I find it hard to believe she won't be a Gopher but you never know.
Correcting myself, the Swenson kid is a 2024 recruit, not 2023, unless she enrolls early.

The way this season is going and not knowing anything about the recruits for this year and out, I just want to say RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT!!!! After the last few years with health issues and continuing injuries, we need more healthy bodies on that roster. It has gotten mighty thin at times.
All the recruiting in the world won't matter if the players' approaches don't improve. We supposedly had a top level class two years ago to go along with a veteran group of returning performers and the program has taken about two or three steps backward. Gotta fix that before we start drooling over new recruits.

All the recruiting in the world won't matter if the players' approaches don't improve. We supposedly had a top level class two years ago to go along with a veteran group of returning performers and the program has taken about two or three steps backward. Gotta fix that before we start drooling over new recruits.
#1 recruiting classes definitely do not guarantee greatness. Look at Nebraska this season. They don't look any better than the Gophers in the back half of their conference schedule. And they have something like 9 players who were top ten recruits in their classes.

A mix of veterans and highly-rated recruits doesn't mean squat if the players aren't all playing their positions well and as a cohesive unit against elite opponents. Unfortunately, there are problems with this Gopher team and they don't appear to be going to fully figure things out before the tournament.

#1 recruiting classes definitely do not guarantee greatness. Look at Nebraska this season. They don't look any better than the Gophers in the back half of their conference schedule. And they have something like 9 players who were top ten recruits in their classes.

A mix of veterans and highly-rated recruits doesn't mean squat if the players aren't all playing their positions well and as a cohesive unit against elite opponents. Unfortunately, there are problems with this Gopher team and they don't appear to be going to fully figure things out before the tournament.
I would even take this a step further and say the problems have been there for a few years and still aren't improving. Not good.

Any news if she's been offered or too early? Couldn't find anything after seeing Sam's posts about wayzata winning state

I can't imagine she doesn't have an offer. The club she plays at is basically a U pipeline and her sister was a four-year starter.

I agree with MRJ & Gibson SG, who speaks of the problem with the Gophers team. Put in my simple terms, they don't have enough players on the roster, who are talented enough to beat elite/top 10 teams and this has been true since 2019. What's the root cause that potentially elite recruits transfer out of the program or uncommit to it?

What other programs were showing interest in her.

What other programs were showing interest in her.
Unfortunately, volleyball recruiting gets very little attention compared to basketball and football. There is only about one notable volleyball recruiting website and there is little free information.

Curious as to how Wucherer will be used - she only has one year of eligibility remaining. Listed as a both a setter and an opposite - seems to have be used mostly as a setter at No. Kentucky (and is "only" 5'9"). Could be that Hugh wants an experienced setter as Shaffmaster's backup with some occasional "Opposite" work. (The only other setter on the current roster, McMenimen, is a senior.) Maybe 2022 freshmen setter Chloe Ng is then redshirted and heir apparent down the road.

But what do I know......

Both these setters will be backups to Shaffmaster.

Curious as to how Wucherer will be used - she only has one year of eligibility remaining. Listed as a both a setter and an opposite - seems to have be used mostly as a setter at No. Kentucky (and is "only" 5'9"). Could be that Hugh wants an experienced setter as Shaffmaster's backup with some occasional "Opposite" work. (The only other setter on the current roster, McMenimen, is a senior.) Maybe 2022 freshmen setter Chloe Ng is then redshirted and heir apparent down the road.

But what do I know......

I’m thinking she just wants to play with her sister who is clearly the better player.

Both these setters will be backups to Shaffmaster.
I have to say, Shaff has seemed improved to me.

She still can do a standard set to a middle, which is frustrating. But they're slowly but surely working on that quick gap-set. Husemann put 2 or 3 of those down on Thurs.

Atleast wirh Russ Rose retiring, Hugh can atleast be considered a top 3 coach in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom