Volleyball Head Coach search

nooram

Leave my member out of it!
Reaction score
Does anyone have knowledge on who is being considered for the open head coach position? I would assume the U will make the hire this month.

I think they just posted the job on yesterday (7th). Hopefully they make a hire soon, i'm getting anxious.:cool:

I heard they are "casting a wide net". The job is a premium one with the new coach inheriting a top 10 team with a good recruiting class.

Maturi is waiting till after the playoffs to hire an NFL tight ends coach.

The U is in a pretty good position here, it's a matter of who we want rather than who we can get. When you can have your pick of coaches, you're a lot less likely to botch a hire than if you have few choices.

The U is in a pretty good position here, it's a matter of who we want rather than who we can get. When you can have your pick of coaches, you're a lot less likely to botch a hire than if you have few choices.

Agreed. Hebert has brought the program to the point where it now ranks as one of the best jobs in the country. Add to that a bunch of young, very talented players and a another high level recruiting class coming in and a prospective coach has the chance for immediate success and maintaning it for the foreseable future. Will be anxious to see who the U ends up with.

Any indication if the U is looking internally to fill this position or externally? And if they are looking externally would they get someone familiar with the program(former player or assistant coach)?

Are they looking at Geoff Carlston at Ohio State or Brady Starkey at Concordia St Paul

Does Maturi even know he needs to hire a new coach?

Speculation at Volleytalk is all over the place. Names bandied about: Hugh McCutcheon, Geoff Carlston, Christy Johnson Lynch, Brady Starkey, and Scott Swanson. I am figuring they are trying to get someone "big," but will end up with Scott.

Not on topic, but:

Does anyone know how far volleyball is from being a 'revenue sport'? It seems to me like volleyball should be fairly easy to market when you consider: a) many (most?) high school students go to volleyball games so there is enough knowledge of the sport and familiarity that it should be marketable to incoming freshmen b) the game is designed in such a way that is TV friendly, c) the team is good, and d) it is generally played by attractive women.

Seems like the sport has enough marketable elements that someone should be able to turn a profit off of it.

Speculation at Volleytalk is all over the place. Names bandied about: Hugh McCutcheon, Geoff Carlston, Christy Johnson Lynch, Brady Starkey, and Scott Swanson. I am figuring they are trying to get someone "big," but will end up with Scott.

Can someone with knowledge list who the 'big' names would be?

Not on topic, but:

Does anyone know how far volleyball is from being a 'revenue sport'? It seems to me like volleyball should be fairly easy to market when you consider: a) many (most?) high school students go to volleyball games so there is enough knowledge of the sport and familiarity that it should be marketable to incoming freshmen b) the game is designed in such a way that is TV friendly, c) the team is good, and d) it is generally played by attractive women.

Seems like the sport has enough marketable elements that someone should be able to turn a profit off of it.

I'm guessing pretty far away. I'm assuming they let students in for free and don't charge much for non-students. Even if they have a game on the BTN now and then, I doubt any portion of the TV contract is specified to be for VB, so they would get no credit for that. (I've seen revenue breakdowns and there's a pool for 'other' money from the BTN that is not broken down by sport).

So basically, the revenue is limited to whatever tickets they sell to the general public and concessions. The cost of the scholarships alone probably equals or exceeds this revenue, to say nothing of coaching salaries, travel and equipment costs, etc.

Outside of the big 3 sports, I think the only two that would have any hope of breaking even are wrestling and women's basketball. I'm not really sure why wrestling makes money relative to the other olympic sports, but I believe it is the closest to break-even currently. I guess the match with Iowa that they hold at Target/Excel must rake in the dough?

Volleyball Revenue

Ticket holders to gopher FB get in free and alumni members get two free admissions for one paid - both of these bargains are for general admission seats.

Seems like she would be the front runner if they are gonna wait until after her pregnancy.

Sounds like people in the know want Hugh McCutcheon, although he's currently coaching the ladies olympic team and we'd have to wait until after that...

Should know next week. Feeling it will be Hugh M but not until after the 2012 Olympics. Working on finding an interim coach until Hugh comes on board.

If this is true, this should be a great choice. Should help with recruiting and will have a great coach as well.

As ugopher stated, Hugh seems to be the choice. Laura Bush seems to be the current leader to become interim coach until Hugh completes his duties for the National Team and the 2012 Olympics. Scott Swanson has his eyes on a job out west.

As ugopher stated, Hugh seems to be the choice. Laura Bush seems to be the current leader to become interim coach until Hugh completes his duties for the National Team and the 2012 Olympics. Scott Swanson has his eyes on a job out west.

Hugh wouldn't be a "Tubby Smith" hire, he would be a "Coach K" hire.

No hire is going to be a Tubby Smith hire. With the basketball team, we had a team in the ditch, and it was shocking that the U was able to hire as prestigious a coach as Tubby Smith. With how good the volleyball team is, it's won't be a shocker if we pull in a prestigious coach.

Per a VolleyTalk poster, the team was told last evening - and the announcement should be made today. HUGH!

The U. has issued a press release and Hugh McCutcheon is the new coach. Laura Bush (an assistant to Hebert) will be interim coach until Hugh can leave his national team duties.

Top Bottom