Voice of the North Stars AL Shaver passed away

Sad to hear the news, but what a run. Others were close, certainly near his level of greatness, but I think he was the best radio voice ever for any Twin Cities pro/college team.

Strib Obit, I would expect more from Reusse later on.

Shaver is survived by sons Wally, Jim and Gary and daughters Judy and Sue; nine grandchildren, 11 great grandchildren and two great-great granddaughters.

Wow, what a run indeed.

I admired Shaver all the more for not heading to Dallas when the Stars moved on. It was really cool to hear him call Gopher puck for a few years before he retired. I think he unretired and did Wild Home Games in their initial season.

Last edited:

He knew the sport and he was fun to listen to. Forgot that after the Stars were taken to Dallas that Shaver worked as the Gopher play by play guy for 3 years before he retired.

This is a good one.

Al knew when to just let the crowd tell the story.

Shaver is survived by sons Wally, Jim and Gary and daughters Judy and Sue; nine grandchildren, 11 great grandchildren and two great-great granddaughters.

Wow, what a run indeed.

I admired Shaver all the more for not heading to Dallas when the Stars moved on. It was really cool to hear him call Gopher puck for a few years before he retired. I think he unretired and did Wild Home Games in their initial season.
I mis-remembered Shaver coming back for Wild games, other than a brief cameo when they dedicated the pressbox in his name. Only Bob Kurtz and Tom Reid came back.

Wow, what a run indeed.

AL Shaver never did Minnesota Wild games.

He was so dang good. Loved listening to him out on the boat trying to catch some fish. He had that voice. RIP Al 🙏

Those North Stars years were magical for many reasons, and Shaver was a big reason.

Anyone remember leaving those North Star games and it was a mad rush of drivers, trying to get to the exits, driving wildly in the snow covered parking lot?

Top Bottom