Virginia coach quits

This would be one job that would attract Tubby. But he's not going to bolt now.

The difference is that Tubby came close to bolting Kentucky for UVA back in 04 or 05. Littlepage, the AD there, is very good friends with Tubby. No one's saying he's leaving, but at the same time, had this job been open a couple of years ago, he would've went there instead of Minnesota.

The difference is that Tubby came close to bolting Kentucky for UVA back in 04 or 05. Littlepage, the AD there, is very good friends with Tubby. No one's saying he's leaving, but at the same time, had this job been open a couple of years ago, he would've went there instead of Minnesota.

Tubby wanted close to $3 Million (per) but UVA Prez said No.

That ship has sailed. Tubby's a Gopher until he collects Social Security.

Current rumor in town is Capel or Sean Miller from Xavier. I can't imagine why Capel would leave Oklahoma for UVA though he did coach VCU. And Sean Miller might be a fit, but they already went down the 'get the Xavier coach' road with the Pete Gillen. Heck, maybe they should just re-hire him. He still lives here and now they know the grass isn't greener.

Littlepage's job security is almost zero right now. Laeto was his hire and Al Groh's only marginally more popular. So if Tubby's only draw was that the AD is a friend, it doesn't count for much. The chances of Tubby coming to UVA are remote at best. I'm not concerned. I give Arizona about a 10% shot at him. Maryland about 25% if it would come open which it likely won't. Overall it's 95% Tubby is our coach next year. Don't worry.

Littlepage's job security is almost zero right now. Laeto was his hire and Al Groh's only marginally more popular. So if Tubby's only draw was that the AD is a friend, it doesn't count for much. The chances of Tubby coming to UVA are remote at best. I'm not concerned. I give Arizona about a 10% shot at him. Maryland about 25% if it would come open which it likely won't. Overall it's 95% Tubby is our coach next year. Don't worry.

I'd take the 0 off the Arizona % (down to 1%) and take the 2 off the Terp % (down to 5%).

I'd take the 0 off the Arizona % (down to 1%) and take the 2 off the Terp % (down to 5%).

Fair enough. I put the 10% and 25% as the chances he'd accept if they actually came to him with a big offer. There's of course no guarantee they would do that in the first place. So the overall likelyhood is probably about what you say.

Story from Charlottesville Daily Progress
Published: March 16, 2009

RECORD AT VIRGINIA

2005-2009: 63-60 record
2005-06: 15-15. Virginia advances to the first round of the NIT.
2006-07: 21-11. Leitao named ACC coach of the year. UVa shares conference season title with UNC and Cavaliers advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
2007-08: 17-16. Virginia advances to the semifinals of the CBI.
2008-09: 10-18. Worst finish for a UVa team since the 1967-68 season.
Virginia men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao has resigned, according to a press release issued by the school late Monday afternoon.

According to the release, University of Virginia Athletics Director Craig Littlepage met with Leitao earlier in the day to discuss the future of the men’s basketball program. At that time, Leitao, who has just concluded his fourth season at the university, determined it was in the best interest of the program to step down.

“Dave has been a respected colleague and a fine university representative in the local community during his tenure here. He brought a great deal of leadership, discipline and integrity to his coaching responsibilities,” Littlepage said. “I appreciate his hard work and dedication to athletics at the University of Virginia.”

Leitao had four years remaining on his contract, but the school must pay him for only two, per a clause in his contract. The school said in the release that the buyout would be $2.1 million.

Leitao’s team had one of the worst seasons in school history this past season, which culminated in a loss to Boston College in the first round of the ACC Tournament on Thursday night.

Leitao finishes his four-year career at Virginia with an overall record of 63-60.

Leitao was named ACC Coach of the Year after the 2006-07 season. That season, Leitao led Virginia to a share of the league championship. The team made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament before losing to Tennessee.

However, the team has dropped off dramatically since. Even with an All-ACC guard in Sean Singletary, Virginia finished just 5-11 in the conference last season.

This season, UVa had an eight-game losing streak, then closed the year by dropping four out of its last five.

But it may have been Leitao’s demeanor, as much as his on-court results, that ultimately led to his demise. A protégée of Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, Leitao often rubbed media, fans and even his own players the wrong way.

While Leitao’s drill sergeant approach was initially just what the doctor ordered – he had replaced Pete Gillen, a coach whose regime was considered too lax – it eventually angered too many of the wrong people.

According to the release, a national search for a coach will get under way immediately. Littlepage did not specify a time frame for concluding the search, taking into account the fact that many of the possible candidates are currently involved in post-season play.

“We expect to attract a strong pool of candidates interested in becoming a part of our university community,” Littlepage said. “Our intention is to hire the very best person to lead the university’s basketball program consistent with our overall department goals,” he added. “Our team has a promising nucleus of young players who we expect will continue to develop.”

Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, who Virginia flirted with before it hired Leitao, is considered the leading candidate.

Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel and VCU’s Anthony Grant are other names that have been rumored.

This article was edited to correct the name of tournament in the 7th paragraph
http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...nia_fires_basketball_coach_dave_leitao/37341/

Tubby wanted close to $3 Million (per) but UVA Prez said No.

That ship has sailed. Tubby's a Gopher until he collects Social Security.

I like your optimism, FOT. I hope you are 100% correct. Tubby will not find another major program or city in this country where he is more respected and loved.

Story from Charlottesville Daily Progress
Published: March 16, 2009

RECORD AT VIRGINIA

2005-2009: 63-60 record
2005-06: 15-15. Virginia advances to the first round of the NIT.
2006-07: 21-11. Leitao named ACC coach of the year. UVa shares conference season title with UNC and Cavaliers advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
2007-08: 17-16. Virginia advances to the semifinals of the CBI.
2008-09: 10-18. Worst finish for a UVa team since the 1967-68 season.
Virginia men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao has resigned, according to a press release issued by the school late Monday afternoon.

According to the release, University of Virginia Athletics Director Craig Littlepage met with Leitao earlier in the day to discuss the future of the men’s basketball program. At that time, Leitao, who has just concluded his fourth season at the university, determined it was in the best interest of the program to step down.

“Dave has been a respected colleague and a fine university representative in the local community during his tenure here. He brought a great deal of leadership, discipline and integrity to his coaching responsibilities,” Littlepage said. “I appreciate his hard work and dedication to athletics at the University of Virginia.”

Leitao had four years remaining on his contract, but the school must pay him for only two, per a clause in his contract. The school said in the release that the buyout would be $2.1 million.

Leitao’s team had one of the worst seasons in school history this past season, which culminated in a loss to Boston College in the first round of the ACC Tournament on Thursday night.

Leitao finishes his four-year career at Virginia with an overall record of 63-60.

Leitao was named ACC Coach of the Year after the 2006-07 season. That season, Leitao led Virginia to a share of the league championship. The team made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament before losing to Tennessee.

However, the team has dropped off dramatically since. Even with an All-ACC guard in Sean Singletary, Virginia finished just 5-11 in the conference last season.

This season, UVa had an eight-game losing streak, then closed the year by dropping four out of its last five.

But it may have been Leitao’s demeanor, as much as his on-court results, that ultimately led to his demise. A protégée of Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun, Leitao often rubbed media, fans and even his own players the wrong way.

While Leitao’s drill sergeant approach was initially just what the doctor ordered – he had replaced Pete Gillen, a coach whose regime was considered too lax – it eventually angered too many of the wrong people.

According to the release, a national search for a coach will get under way immediately. Littlepage did not specify a time frame for concluding the search, taking into account the fact that many of the possible candidates are currently involved in post-season play.

“We expect to attract a strong pool of candidates interested in becoming a part of our university community,” Littlepage said. “Our intention is to hire the very best person to lead the university’s basketball program consistent with our overall department goals,” he added. “Our team has a promising nucleus of young players who we expect will continue to develop.”

Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, who Virginia flirted with before it hired Leitao, is considered the leading candidate.

Oklahoma’s Jeff Capel and VCU’s Anthony Grant are other names that have been rumored.

This article was edited to correct the name of tournament in the 7th paragraph
http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/sp...nia_fires_basketball_coach_dave_leitao/37341/

yeah, yeah. you see one of these articles in every city where a coach has lost his job or is about to lose his job. it is always some no-name writer with no inside information who is just trying to generate hits on his stories, so he will throw the proverbial "tubby smith is the leading candidate" quote in there.

sorry virginia, but minnesota is a much higher profile job than you will ever be. :cry:

They can just keep their grubby little hands off our coach

All this speculation is making me angry. I hate that people think we're not good enough to have a top name coach. I think they forget Tubby chose to come here and is happy, loved, respected and has a top 15 recruiting class coming in.

So go look somewhere else - Tubby is staying here!

Oh and go Gophs - beat Texas!

Yeah, but what do you expect?? They are in the "mighty" ACC after all...I found the whole "Charlottesville thumps Minneapolis any day" argument particularly amusing....and weren't Virginia fans all pissed off the other day that someone called them "elitist"?

These are the kind of attitudes that make them true "East Coasters":rolleyes:

We're not "East Coasters"

We're Southerners with manners. Believe me, I moved to Jersey, I know the difference. Don't take folks on the Sabre too seriously...they're all riled up right now with the coaching change.

Yeah, that might have been a stretch on my part...Didn't mean to suggest you folks are like the masses in Boston, New Jersey and New York. Just surprised at how arrogant some of the impressions of Charlottesville versus Minneapolis are.

Supposed that's the way with most fanbases. :eek:

Blame it on Lou Holtz.

It's unlikely to be VA (mediocre opportunity), but anybody who thinks that Tubby isn't going to leverage this job for a top job is naive. That's how things work in college sports. The best case scenario, for our purposes, would be for Tubby to leverage the real or manufactured interest from another school to get an even sweeter contract and a new practice facility.

Same thing for Brewster. The minute that he has any real success he'll leave for a job that pays him 2-3 times what he makes here.

It's unlikely to be VA (mediocre opportunity), but anybody who thinks that Tubby isn't going to leverage this job for a top job is naive. That's how things work in college sports. The best case scenario, for our purposes, would be for Tubby to leverage the real or manufactured interest from another school to get an even sweeter contract and a new practice facility.

Same thing for Brewster. The minute that he has any real success he'll leave for a job that pays him 2-3 times what he makes here.

I disagree that this has to be the case for basketball. We have everything needed to be a top job and we are already paying Tubby a lot of money. He's not going to get paid signficantly more anywhere else, certainly not at Virginia. I'm not sure how much more blood he can squeeze out of the rock here. He's already the 2nd highest paid coach in the conference, (maybe 3rd if Crean passed him) and he's getting his practice facility.

With Brewster, I agree. But if it's an issue it means he actually succeeded here, so I'll take it.

This gets my blood pressure up...

If I were to caption that photo it would say .. I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU I WASN"T GOING ANYWHERE AND I'M TIRED OF BEING ASKED ABOUT IT SO DROP IT !

...and Brenda Oldfield. Between the two of them (and I haven't even mentioned Ted Roof), people around here are definitely developing a complex whether they admit it or not.

Ultimately - after Tubby retires or resigns - we will ideally want someone with local ties to lead the program. That shapes up as the most stable situation. The truth of the matter is that anyone can get dumped whether they deserve to or not. Johnny Orr leaving Michigan for Iowa State is an example. Don't try to explain it; he just wanted a change.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_tubby_0319mar19,0,1141652.story

"I have a job," Smith said Wednesday. "I have a great job. We're enjoying Minnesota. We have no reason to be looking at anything else, and I'm very happy where we are. "So it certainly is flattering sometimes, but it can be a distraction. The thing is, we've gotten our recruiting done early, and that, hopefully, it's good to be wanted. "But it's more important to be needed. I feel like I'm not only wanted in Minnesota, but needed there as well."

gopher fans needn't worry about brewster leaving anytime soon...on his own...:D:D:D

tubby, otoh, could be a different story:eek::eek::eek:

Top Bottom