Vintage Gopher stuff

I also have a brick from Memorial Stadium. Fun story behind it, my Grandpa is the all-time biggest Gopher fan I know. From hitch hiking as a youth to Memorial Stadium, long time season ticket holder, and now at the age of 90 watches every game. About ten years ago we were sitting around at his house and he was talking about how he worked hard his whole life but doesn't have a big inheritance. We of course said, that is fine, we don't want any of your money, you spend it as it is yours.

My dad made the comment to him that there was a ring that my Grandpa always wore that he wanted some day. Grandpa looked at me and said what do you want? I said my favorite memories of a kid was when you would take me to the Metrodome to watch the Gophers and someday I would like your brick from Memorial Stadium because I knew how much the Gophers and that stadium met to you. He got out of his chair, went to his bedroom and got the ring for my dad and walked to his shelf and grabbed the brick and said "I want to see you guys enjoy this." It means more to me than he will ever know.
Damn. You're grandpa's a good one.

My avatar is the cover of the Minneapolis Star New Year's Day magazine insert for the Gophers-Huskies Rose Bowl 1961. Has highlights of the entire season, info on Washington, and a fantastic aerial picture of the Rose Bowl as it then existed...basically out in the middle of nowhere. Got it for $5 near Mankato in an antique mall. Very good condition.

The bottom reads: "Here Come the Gophers."
I have the same picture and most of the magazine feature on the Gophers. It was part of my 6th grade "Minnesota Scrapbook" I submitted as a project. It is pretty tattered and torn but I still look at it once in a while.

My family and I are unabashed estate sale junkies, and I've seen a fair number of gopher items, but really only jumped on one--an unused wool stadium blanket given to a former equipment manager for the hockey team. Got me thinking (this being the off season and all).....

Anyone have any cool old Gopher items?
I have a few older pieces of Gopher memorabilia; gopherjerseys.com

I've got framed/signed pictures of Willie Burton and Kevin Lynch that used to hang on the wall at Big 10 on campus, got them at the auction before they tore it down. I really miss that place. :(

Top Bottom