Vintage Gopher stuff

TeeBee

Reaction score
My family and I are unabashed estate sale junkies, and I've seen a fair number of gopher items, but really only jumped on one--an unused wool stadium blanket given to a former equipment manager for the hockey team. Got me thinking (this being the off season and all).....

Anyone have any cool old Gopher items?

I have a piece of the bleachers from Memorial Stadium. I can't prove it is genuine, but I'm satisfied it is.

A Gatorade towel left on the home bench at the Barn in 1997. Grabbed it after a game. I think Bobby Jackson sweated on it.

Carl Eller Autographed Photo (8X10) in his Gopher Uniform (No. 76)

Minnesota National Champions 1960 - Pennant

We're No. 1 - 1960 - U of Minn - Button

Gophers National Champions - Button

We're Rose Bowl Bound - Button

Boil-Illin-Oil - Homecoming - 1960 - Button

Den the Wolverines - Oct 28 1961 - U of Minn Homecoming - Button

Spill Illinois - Oct 18 1958 - U of M Homecoming - Button

Fiz Says: Squash Wash. - Button

Beat Iowa (Again) - Button

My avatar is the cover of the Minneapolis Star New Year's Day magazine insert for the Gophers-Huskies Rose Bowl 1961. Has highlights of the entire season, info on Washington, and a fantastic aerial picture of the Rose Bowl as it then existed...basically out in the middle of nowhere. Got it for $5 near Mankato in an antique mall. Very good condition.

The bottom reads: "Here Come the Gophers."

A couple of hundred year old wool felt pennants and a 1960's stadium seat cushion.

I have a framed 8x10 team photo from 1938. I found it in an antique shop in the Brainard area.

I have 2 game used Football jersey's For Sale. Color is White. $90 Each
1 game worn Helmet. Early Mason Era... $75
Rose Bowl Programs - vs. Washington and UCLA. No prices yet - I have to check my inventory.
1 foam-backed photo of the Gophers at OSU Troy Smith getting jacked by Gopher Defenders. $50.
I've got more stuff and I need to start down-sizing my collection.
Contact me and I'll send photos. I live in Burnsville.

I've just got a game worn white helmet from the Brew era (by a very small headed player) and a Clem Haskins Basketball Camp ball.

I have a couple of framed wood floor pieces from Williams Arena. It's the original floor used from 1928 to 2009.

Ooh, I forgot my game-worn Hosea Crittenden jersey. If the house is on fire, I'm coming back in for that.
Ha...used to play pickup basketball with him at the rec center. He wasn't very good.

Autographed framed photos of Ron Johnson and Jack Brewer
3 NFLPA Starting Lineup Figures of MBIII in Gopher Uniform
1961 and 1962 Rose Bowl Game Radio Broadcasts on Cassettes
Signed FB card of Ron Johnson
Signed photo of our son with Pirsig
Tournament of Roses Parade program and Rose Bowl game summary.
Framed photo of Bruce Smith in the Movie “Smith of Minnesota”

Brick from Memorial Stadium
I also have a brick from Memorial Stadium. Fun story behind it, my Grandpa is the all-time biggest Gopher fan I know. From hitch hiking as a youth to Memorial Stadium, long time season ticket holder, and now at the age of 90 watches every game. About ten years ago we were sitting around at his house and he was talking about how he worked hard his whole life but doesn't have a big inheritance. We of course said, that is fine, we don't want any of your money, you spend it as it is yours.

My dad made the comment to him that there was a ring that my Grandpa always wore that he wanted some day. Grandpa looked at me and said what do you want? I said my favorite memories of a kid was when you would take me to the Metrodome to watch the Gophers and someday I would like your brick from Memorial Stadium because I knew how much the Gophers and that stadium met to you. He got out of his chair, went to his bedroom and got the ring for my dad and walked to his shelf and grabbed the brick and said "I want to see you guys enjoy this." It means more to me than he will ever know.

Lost an apparently rare cap with SKI-U-MAH emblazoned across the front in the rental car for the Outback Bowl. Monitoring the lost and found daily. Pretty sure it's under the driver-side rear floorboard in a VW Beetle. Threw it into the back of the car after the game and thought it landed in the clear bag we took. Nope...

I doubt anybody actually uses the back seats in that vehicle. The hat could lay there for some time before being noticed. C'est la vie.

I have programs going back to the sixties - maybe a fifties, forties one or two, plus a scrapbook (two, actually), going back to 1948, with action game photos from newspapers pasted in and entire magazine articles, such as the 1953 Look magazine cover story on Paul Giel, another from Look, "Can Fesler Rouse the Football Giant of the North," a LIFE story on Warmath in 1960, etc.

I wish I had a maroon jersey from days gone by to contrast it with current, purplish jerseys. For you Gopher historians: when and why did the Gophers "maroon" turn to violet? Who decides these matters of color?

I have a handful of things, but an interesting one is an old songbook from the '30's that has the U of M's songs at the time. Several they no longer play, differences in some of the songs/lyrics, plus a no longer used first verse to the Rouser.

I also have a brick from Memorial Stadium. Fun story behind it, my Grandpa is the all-time biggest Gopher fan I know. From hitch hiking as a youth to Memorial Stadium, long time season ticket holder, and now at the age of 90 watches every game. About ten years ago we were sitting around at his house and he was talking about how he worked hard his whole life but doesn't have a big inheritance. We of course said, that is fine, we don't want any of your money, you spend it as it is yours.

My dad made the comment to him that there was a ring that my Grandpa always wore that he wanted some day. Grandpa looked at me and said what do you want? I said my favorite memories of a kid was when you would take me to the Metrodome to watch the Gophers and someday I would like your brick from Memorial Stadium because I knew how much the Gophers and that stadium met to you. He got out of his chair, went to his bedroom and got the ring for my dad and walked to his shelf and grabbed the brick and said "I want to see you guys enjoy this." It means more to me than he will ever know.
Excuse me while I go clean the sand from my eyes.

I have 2 game used Football jersey's For Sale. Color is White. $90 Each
1 game worn Helmet. Early Mason Era... $75
Rose Bowl Programs - vs. Washington and UCLA. No prices yet - I have to check my inventory.
1 foam-backed photo of the Gophers at OSU Troy Smith getting jacked by Gopher Defenders. $50.
I've got more stuff and I need to start down-sizing my collection.
Contact me and I'll send photos. I live in Burnsville.
Mind sending me pictures of the jerseys? I don’t know if I’ve talked to you about them before, but I’ve got a small collection of game worn jerseys going

My family and I are unabashed estate sale junkies, and I've seen a fair number of gopher items, but really only jumped on one--an unused wool stadium blanket given to a former equipment manager for the hockey team. Got me thinking (this being the off season and all).....

Anyone have any cool old Gopher items?
Among other things . . .

Attachments

• UM 018.jpg
    UM 018.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 19

Top Bottom