Vikings

The Vikings have been poorly managed for years. As a long time season ticket holder I think it’s almost impossible that we have had only 1 true franchise QB. I don’t count Moon/ Favre who came @ the end of their careers. We have had HOF’s @ other key positions but just don’t seem to find the NFL upper tier level QB’s.

The Vikings have been poorly managed for years. As a long time season ticket holder I think it’s almost impossible that we have had only 1 true franchise QB. I don’t count Moon/ Favre who came @ the end of their careers. We have had HOF’s @ other key positions but just don’t seem to find the NFL upper tier level QB’s.
Tommy Kramer right?

It is truly amazing how inept the Vikings are at evaluating and selecting for the QB position.

2 minute Tommy was 2-4 in the playoffs but sure. Even with him and Culpepper my point is that the Vikings have been very poor in drafting/ developing QB’s.2 Most NFL teams have a much longer list.

2 minute Tommy was 2-4 in the playoffs but sure. Even with him and Culpepper my point is that the Vikings have been very poor in drafting/ developing QB’s.2 Most NFL teams have a much longer list.
Tommy Kramer had the skills until his partying caught up with him. He may have been truly great if he had avoided that part of his life.

It is truly amazing how inept the Vikings are at evaluating and selecting for the QB position.
I remember Denny Green saying it wasn't about the QB, it was about the system. True to some extent, but not greatly so.

I remember Denny Green saying it wasn't about the QB, it was about the system. True to some extent, but not greatly so.

Bet KOC says the same thing.

1704211524706.png...Just Kidding.

One of the issues with the Vikings is that they historically are good enough to be out of the running for a game changer QB in the draft. When was the last time they even drafted in the top 5?
You don't need a top 5 pick. You need better scouting. Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. There's luck involved with any pick, but having a top 5 pick isn't necessary.

One of the issues with the Vikings is that they historically are good enough to be out of the running for a game changer QB in the draft. When was the last time they even drafted in the top 5?
Not the best take logically, but sure.

You don't need a top 5 pick. You need better scouting. Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. There's luck involved with any pick, but having a top 5 pick isn't necessary.
True, but you increase your chances quite a bit. Lamar Jackson is the only one I can think of in the last ten years or so that the Vikings had an opportunity to draft but passed on! Mahomes was already gone in that year's draft iirc.

Gophers should start Anthony Barr at quarterback. The latest tankathon ratings:

View attachment 29334
Given that, the Vikings may be in a pickle again this year because it's likely that Williams, Maye, and Daniels will be gone by Pick 10 and the second-tier guys (notably Penix and Nix) probably won't be there when they pick in the second. McCarthy floats between the first and second tiers, but he hasn't indicated that he'll declare.

Vikings made a calculated risk to do a "competitive rebuild" and if Cousins hadn't gotten hurt, they're likely a surefire playoff team. But the defense has been inconsistent and they've got a fair number of other issues to address (especially if Hunter leaves).

Do they not sign Cousins? If they do, that probably saps up a lot of resources that may be needed elsewhere. If they don't, it would probably indicate a full-on rebuild. If that's the case, sign a caretaker QB and draft the heir-apparent this draft.

Given that, the Vikings may be in a pickle again this year because it's likely that Williams, Maye, and Daniels will be gone by Pick 10 and the second-tier guys (notably Penix and Nix) probably won't be there when they pick in the second. McCarthy floats between the first and second tiers, but he hasn't indicated that he'll declare.

Vikings made a calculated risk to do a "competitive rebuild" and if Cousins hadn't gotten hurt, they're likely a surefire playoff team. But the defense has been inconsistent and they've got a fair number of other issues to address (especially if Hunter leaves).

Do they not sign Cousins? If they do, that probably saps up a lot of resources that may be needed elsewhere. If they don't, it would probably indicate a full-on rebuild. If that's the case, sign a caretaker QB and draft the heir-apparent this draft.
If they get Penix, they should sign Cousins for two years max...he'll be 37 at the end of those two years. He has gotten hit a lot over the past several years, and with coming off his injury, there won't be high interest in the market for him.

If Penix is available at wherever the Vikings pick in round 1 it's the easiest pick in history.

Which means they'll pick another wide receiver.
Yes. They will be 10-12. He will likely be there. Just take him. Even if they want him, I fear they'll get cute and try to trade down and it will blow up in their face.

If they get Penix, they should sign Cousins for two years max...he'll be 37 at the end of those two years. He has gotten hit a lot over the past several years, and with coming off his injury, there won't be high interest in the market for him.

That's not true, he'll have plenty of interest if the Vikings don't resign him. The majority of NFL teams don't have a good solution at QB today, and some of them are playoff teams. Kirk will be the best FA QB available.

That's not true, he'll have plenty of interest if the Vikings don't resign him. The majority of NFL teams don't have a good solution at QB today, and some of them are playoff teams. Kirk will be the best FA QB available.
Majority is an exaggeration. Teams probably looking for a veteran starter next year:

New England
Denver (can't afford Kirk)
Las Vegas
Minnesota
Atlanta
Tampa

Possibly:
Tennessee (probably stick with Levis)
Washington (probably stick with Howell)
Pittsburgh (depends on how the play-offs go)
NY Giants (probably can't move on from Jones)
New Orleans-Have a lot of $$ tied in Carr
San Francisco if they flame out early

Yes. They will be 10-12. He will likely be there. Just take him. Even if they want him, I fear they'll get cute and try to trade down and it will blow up in their face.

As good as Penix is, his injury history will be a big red flag for a lot of NFL franchises. That's why a lot of mocks have him slipping to the 2nd round. Pick 10-12 is still a huge risk for him when this team needs so much help in the trenches, plus Nix and McCarthy may also be available later in 1st/2nd round and may be just as good or better long term.

You can say this about the majority of NFL franchises. It's the most important position to find, and it's by far the hardest.
There was an old Bill Parcels clip when he was the Cowboy's coach.

The local media guys were hounding him about the QB position and asking questions that were phrased pretty absurdly.

Bill responded exasperated / but with some good humor with something along the lines of:

Guies I get it, quarterback, yes we're looking for one. No it's not easy. SOME TEAMS HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A QUARTERBACK FOR DECADES.

As good as Penix is, his injury history will be a big red flag for a lot of NFL franchises. That's why a lot of mocks have him slipping to the 2nd round. Pick 10-12 is still a huge risk for him when this team needs so much help in the trenches, plus Nix and McCarthy may also be available later in 1st/2nd round and may be just as good or better long term.
The injury is a risk, but that's the only reason he's not a top 5 pick. If he's the guy you identify you take him. If he hits and is the next Mahomes/Lamar Jackson, it doesn't matter that you could have traded down 10 spots and netted a 2nd round pick. And if he busts, you're probably fired anyway. With the extra attention he's now getting, I'd be shocked if he's not a 1st round pick. So if he's there when you draft, just take him.

Top Bottom