Vikings should Hire PJ Fleck

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
After the Vikings get pounded by the Saints, the Vikings should hire PJ Fleck. PJ understands culture and is always stressing a player’s strengths vs weaknesses. His teams play loose with positive energy. The Vikings have too much talent NOT to be able to win big games. PJ took a team with above average talent and competed with the best. PJ’s style will work in the NFL.

After the Vikings get pounded by the Saints, the Vikings should hire PJ Fleck. PJ understands culture and is always stressing a player’s strengths vs weaknesses. His teams play loose with positive energy. The Vikings have too much talent NOT to be able to win big games. PJ took a team with above average talent and competed with the best. PJ’s style will work in the NFL.

No. All sorts of no.

There are certain coaches who are perfect for the college game and not a fit for the pro game. PJ is one of those. It's not a knock on him, it's a complement. Do what you do best and do it better than anyone else. That's PJ, that's college.

Go Gophers!!

He was offered a job in the NFL and turned it down to go to the NCAA ranks. He's by far a better fit for the NCAA game than the NFL.

He was offered a job in the NFL and turned it down to go to the NCAA ranks. He's by far a better fit for the NCAA game than the NFL.

Could not agree more. He may go to the NFL at some point but he is perfectly suited for the college game. Plus, he seems to love recruiting.

He is IN his element.

Based on what I see of PJ’s personal priorities and motivations, this would be a horrible move for him. Personally, I’d rather see him build the Gopher program and have them consistently play in big time bowl games. I would choose this even if PJ going to the Vikings would guarantee a Super Bowl win. I watch the Vikings as often as possible (I’m not living in the Twin Cities or Minnesota), but my passion for Gopher games and my heart rate are volumes higher for the Gophers than the Vikings.

F--- the Vikings!

Do you really think grown men who are paid tens of millions of dollars would listen to a man telling them to row the boat? Fleck’s biggest strength is that he’s an amazing developer of character in his players. That isn’t nearly as important as the NFL.

If anyone thought he was actually a possibility in the NFL, his name would have been dropped along with Matt Rhule’s for some of the spots that have opened up this offseason.

if you think PJ Fleck could win an NFL locker room with his sayings and culture you are insane. Nfl guys will tell him to screw off it would be a disaster. I personally love zim as our coach too

Fleck was born for college football. His unique methods are an advantage he wouldn't have in the NFL.

That said, he's played and coached in the NFL. He's not stupid. There's no need to implement the rah rah heavy culture methods for recruiting nor personal development there. Nor is there a need to be the head marketing guru for an NFL team as there is for a University. Fleck's real strength, in my opinion, is detailed planning and communicating. Those would both translate to the NFL. I'm guessing his salary is already above what most NFL coaches make. Plus, he has better job security here.

The Vikings look unmotivated....but in all seriousness the CFB motivation isn't the same as college.

Holtz

Sabin

Some of the best can't make the adjustments.

Fleck is a college coach through and through. It'd be a mistake for him to chase an NFL job.

I believe there is a direct correlation between the fact that the Gophers last National Championship was the year before the Vikings started playing. I don't think we would have had 60 years of up and down Gopher football if they didn't share a metro area with a pro football team. Sure I'd like to see the Vikings win but they've already stole enough from the Gophers. Don't steal our coach.

Yet another speculation thread about Fleck's future. Awesome.

I believe there is a direct correlation between the fact that the Gophers last National Championship was the year before the Vikings started playing. I don't think we would have had 60 years of up and down Gopher football if they didn't share a metro area with a pro football team. Sure I'd like to see the Vikings win but they've already stole enough from the Gophers. Don't steal our coach.

Not to change the thread direction, but the 50s/60s were also a time that universities were questioning the commitment to big time athletics related to the chaos in recruiting that existed in prior decades. It's my understanding that Minnesota didn't investment much in football starting in the 60s into the 90s.

No. All sorts of no.

There are certain coaches who are perfect for the college game and not a fit for the pro game. PJ is one of those. It's not a knock on him, it's a complement. Do what you do best and do it better than anyone else. That's PJ, that's college.

Go Gophers!!

This is spot on. PJs culture and philosophy is maturing kids into men - it works wonders at the college level - I don't see it working as well with pro players in their 30s. Fleck has found his calling - the grass is not always greener and he is so incredibly well suited for college coaching

Going on the "hire the opposite" theory - (teams that fire a coach go for the opposite type of the guy they fired...)

IF the Vikes dump Zimmer - then I say they go for a younger, 'player's coach' type from an offensive background. But - I can't see them plucking a guy out of the college ranks. They would be far more likely to hire someone who has had success as an OC in the NFL.

tenor.gif

Who is this imbecile ? Why is he proposing a coaching change detrimental and harmful to the Gopher program, and of only the remotest of value to the Vikings ? Thankfully the playpen for millions2spare is as miniscule as his thought process.

PJ is a lot like Pete Carol...A positive culture in sports is (pro/college) is one of the success factors that wins championships. I agree the current PJ is perfect for the Gophers. I think he could Morph into a NFL Head coach...

you heard it from Millions2spare first!

if you think PJ Fleck could win an NFL locker room with his sayings and culture you are insane. Nfl guys will tell him to screw off it would be a disaster. I personally love zim as our coach too
This statement big time.

PJ Fleck is the perfect coach for the University of Minnesota football program and I hope he is here for a very long time and can build his legacy here.

A big time athletic department in a power 5 conference with elite facilities in the heart of a top 15 Metropolitan media market.

And the chance to play for two of the most prestigious college trophies each year in Floyd and Paul Bunyan's Axe.

My goodness but the trolls are sure desparate to get PJ out of here!

Top Bottom