Vikings QB - Possible Reclamation Projects

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if the Vikings can continue to properly tank for the rest of the year so they could very well be on the outside looking in when it comes to the NFL Draft next spring and the top tier QBs in the 2021 class. A number of teams that are in the running for a HIGH pick next spring have recently picked a QB that they could be moving off of already. Which one of those guys would you be willing to roll the dice on, if the price was right of course, if they became available? Some possibilities, of which some are obviously remote:

Sam Darnold - NY Jets
Daniel Jones - NY Giants
Dwayne Haskins - Washington Redskins
Jameis Winston - NO Saints (not exactly in the same situation as the others but an interesting option anyway)
Josh Rosen(?) - Tampa Bay (okay, had to throw a real longshot in here to make it interesting)

Darnold seems like the most logical candidate but who knows what the Jets would want in return? And maybe they're not throwing in the towel on him yet and would rather turn that #1 (of top-3) pick into a boatload of assets to improve the cast around Darnold?

I'm not sold on Jones, Haskins seems to have major maturity and commitment issues, and Rosen sure doesn't seem to be getting many sniffs. For a very low price, I'd be awfully curious to see what Winston was capable of in a new environment but maybe he develops enough in the next handful of months for the Saints to think they can work with him moving forward after Brees.

At the end of the day, I would think the Vikings are going to win around 5 games, putting them firmly out of reach for one of the top QB's available in the next draft. That would figure with this group. They need to come up with some kind of plan

I'd be surprised if the Vikings can continue to properly tank for the rest of the year so they could very well be on the outside looking in when it comes to the NFL Draft next spring and the top tier QBs in the 2021 class. A number of teams that are in the running for a HIGH pick next spring have recently picked a QB that they could be moving off of already. Which one of those guys would you be willing to roll the dice on, if the price was right of course, if they became available? Some possibilities, of which some are obviously remote:

Sam Darnold - NY Jets
Daniel Jones - NY Giants
Dwayne Haskins - Washington Redskins
Jameis Winston - NO Saints (not exactly in the same situation as the others but an interesting option anyway)
Josh Rosen(?) - Tampa Bay (okay, had to throw a real longshot in here to make it interesting)

Darnold seems like the most logical candidate but who knows what the Jets would want in return? And maybe they're not throwing in the towel on him yet and would rather turn that #1 (of top-3) pick into a boatload of assets to improve the cast around Darnold?

I'm not sold on Jones, Haskins seems to have major maturity and commitment issues, and Rosen sure doesn't seem to be getting many sniffs. For a very low price, I'd be awfully curious to see what Winston was capable of in a new environment but maybe he develops enough in the next handful of months for the Saints to think they can work with him moving forward after Brees.

At the end of the day, I would think the Vikings are going to win around 5 games, putting them firmly out of reach for one of the top QB's available in the next draft. That would figure with this group. They need to come up with some kind of plan

This is all a moot point, as Cousins will most assuredly be here in 2021, due to his ridiculous contract. The only way you are parting ways with him is if you manage to find a trade partner and probably cover half his salary. I am of the opinion that in today's NFL, reclamation projects are mostly non-viable. 10 years ago, you maybe could get by with a sub-par QB if the rest of your team was good. That is no longer the case. You draft QB's until you find a 'franchise' QB.

With that said, for the sake of argument, I don't think Jones is going anywhere in NY. I think he has another year before they pull the plug. I want no part of Darnold (he was grossly overdrafted, and you wouldn't think twice about signing him if he was drafted in the 3rd round, where he should have gone). Same with Rosen- nobody would be mentioning him at all if he wasn't drafted as high as he was. He would just be forgotten and float off into the ether. And "crab legs" Winston? No thanks. I'm willing to bet Haskins gets another shot at the starting job in 2021, based solely on how much they have invested in him.

Re: Haskins, I think his time in Washington is done-new regime since he was drafted and that organization is such a clusterfeck, he could be an interesting reclamation project. Tough to say whether the maturity/work ethic concerns are valid, but for cheap (and he should be cheap, sounds like Washington wants to get rid of him sooner rather than later).

Winston is intriguing-lots of talent, but last year was a wild, wild ride. It'll be interesting if he sees time this season. I don't see the Saints benching Brees, but if he gets hurt (which there's a good chance), Winston has the opportunity to make a huge payday.

Agreed with forever, I don't see Jones being shuttled out of NY, unless the GM gets fired. He's a stubborn old coot and his reputation is tied to Jones.

I believe Rosen's on the practice squad for Tampa right now, so if the Vikings wanted him, they could get him. Surprised that no one brought the third year pro onto their team as a backup.

Who knows with Darnold? With the Jets the flaming garbage bin that they are, can you fairly evaluate any quarterback in those circumstances? I saw a lot of their game on Sunday vs. the Dolphins and they are a level of putrid that is hard to believe.

What Ryan Tannehill is doing in Tennessee goes to show that coaching, circumstances and context can matter greatly. However, given the Vikings history and affection for the veteran, nearly over the hill quarterback acquisitions, I think it's more likely they try talking Eli Manning out of retirement rather than roll the dice on a question mark.

I see two veteran options for next year. One is sort of a reclamation: Carson Wentz. The other: Matt Ryan. Atlanta needs to re-build and he's no spring chicken. Both can probably be had via trade if we can get someone to take Cousins off our hands. 3rd option: Andrew Luck, though I think the Colts can block that. Obviously that would be the HR on the 3.

I want our next QB to be someone who can run a little. When Cousins feels pressure, he just looks down and appears to be looking for a place to land.

Matthew Stafford an option? If so is he worth a conversation?

I see two veteran options for next year. One is sort of a reclamation: Carson Wentz. The other: Matt Ryan. Atlanta needs to re-build and he's no spring chicken. Both can probably be had via trade if we can get someone to take Cousins off our hands. 3rd option: Andrew Luck, though I think the Colts can block that. Obviously that would be the HR on the 3.
Wentz isn't going anywhere. He's still one of the elite QB's in the league to most people paying attention. Two years in a row injuries have decimated the Eagles and he's throwing to CFL and AAF guys. I'd give up half the Vikings roster right now for Wentz as the Vikings QB

Wentz isn't going anywhere. He's still one of the elite QB's in the league to most people paying attention. Two years in a row injuries have decimated the Eagles and he's throwing to CFL and AAF guys. I'd give up half the Vikings roster right now for Wentz as the Vikings QB
Is he though? His career QB rating is 90.5. Kirk Cousins is 96.3. The Eagles do have bad WR's but that's been true for most of the last 20 years outside of the short time they had TO and a couple years when DeSean Jackson was younger.

I agree, it's still not likely the Eagles would move him. but there's a chance. His career record is 33-28-1, 15-17-1 the last 3 seasons. There are rumblings about giving Jalen Hurts a shot.

Re: Haskins, I think his time in Washington is done-new regime since he was drafted and that organization is such a clusterfeck, he could be an interesting reclamation project. Tough to say whether the maturity/work ethic concerns are valid, but for cheap (and he should be cheap, sounds like Washington wants to get rid of him sooner rather than later).

I believe Rosen's on the practice squad for Tampa right now, so if the Vikings wanted him, they could get him. Surprised that no one brought the third year pro onto their team as a backup.
Way too much noise on Haskins to believe it's all smoke; the dude missed the final snap of a game with his offense out on the field in the victory formation last year because he was taking selfies with some fans. Repeated rumblings about not being very committed to his craft, not getting in the playbook, and I guess he rubbed plenty of teammates the wrong way last week or the week before when he was bragging about his passing stats in a game they lost. Even Urban has been on record saying he's not ready to lead a franchise. Ooofff

Rosen is an interesting case. Being a Cards season ticket holder, before last year's draft I was really hoping they would stick with Rosen and draft Bosa, thought Rosen needed more of a chance. But how quickly they were willing to move off him and draft Kyler Murray, I always thought there were locker room and maturity issues with Rosen as well. He's a pretty outspoken guy, California kid, I always thought the Cardinals moving off him and going with Kyler was as much to do about Rosen and things OFF the field as it was about any love they had for Murray. I'd be surprised if Rosen gets another chance but stranger things have happened.

Cardinals definitely made the right move! Murray sure is fun to watch.

Way too much noise on Haskins to believe it's all smoke; the dude missed the final snap of a game with his offense out on the field in the victory formation last year because he was taking selfies with some fans. Repeated rumblings about not being very committed to his craft, not getting in the playbook, and I guess he rubbed plenty of teammates the wrong way last week or the week before when he was bragging about his passing stats in a game they lost. Even Urban has been on record saying he's not ready to lead a franchise. Ooofff

Rosen is an interesting case. Being a Cards season ticket holder, before last year's draft I was really hoping they would stick with Rosen and draft Bosa, thought Rosen needed more of a chance. But how quickly they were willing to move off him and draft Kyler Murray, I always thought there were locker room and maturity issues with Rosen as well. He's a pretty outspoken guy, California kid, I always thought the Cardinals moving off him and going with Kyler was as much to do about Rosen and things OFF the field as it was about any love they had for Murray. I'd be surprised if Rosen gets another chance but stranger things have happened.

Cardinals definitely made the right move! Murray sure is fun to watch.
And awesome to have at the helm of one's fantasy football team ;)

I'm sick of retreads. I want the Vikes to draft a young QB and develop them. Teddy might have worked out if it hadn't been for the injury.

The problem is, I don't trust Spielman to be the one doing the drafting. And I don't trust Zimmer and the OC of the moment to do a good job handling and developing a young QB.

But, all things being equal, I would rather lose with a young guy as opposed to losing with a retread.

I'm sick of retreads. I want the Vikes to draft a young QB and develop them. Teddy might have worked out if it hadn't been for the injury.

The problem is, I don't trust Spielman to be the one doing the drafting. And I don't trust Zimmer and the OC of the moment to do a good job handling and developing a young QB.

But, all things being equal, I would rather lose with a young guy as opposed to losing with a retread.
Yep!

I don't disagree on drafting a young QB as opposed to a retread/reclamation; it's just that the Vikings just never seem to put themselves strongly in position to draft a QB. I was actually really, REALLY hoping they were going to draft Jordan Love this year before the f'ng Packers traded in front of the Vikings and took him. Maybe they would have taken him, maybe not; sounds like he hasn't been outstanding so far in Packers camp.

Reclamation projects or "retreads" probably not the way to describe what I'm talking about here; I was just throwing out some ideas about some guys who are still really, really young and could be available.

We could have signed FA Cam Newton this past year, he would have been a great lower-paid QB option for the Vikings.

I'm sure Cam wanted to go to a place where he would likely start.

Top Bottom