Vikings legend Chris Doleman dies at 58

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Former Vikings defensive end Chris Doleman has died after suffering from brain cancer, the team confirmed early Wednesday morning.

Doleman, 58, underwent surgery to remove a brain tumor in 2018. He tweeted on Saturday (@chrisdoleman1): "Today is my 2 year anniversary of being a brain cancer survivor! Huge!"

The Hall of Famer, elected in 2012, played 15 years in the NFL, including 10 with the Vikings from 1985-1993 and 1999. He also played for the Falcons in 1994-95 and the 49ers from 1996-1998.

A three-time first team All-Pro and two-time second team All-Pro performer, he was also named to the Pro Bowl eight times and was named to the NFL’s 1990 All-Decade team.

The Minnesota Vikings Ring of Honor member was drafted fourth overall in 1985 out of Pittsburgh.

“The Minnesota Vikings express our deepest sympathies to Chris Doleman’s family and friends upon his passing,’’ the team said in a statement. ‘‘Chris was a great example for players past and present, as he embodied all the best characteristics of a Viking - resilience, toughness and a competitive spirit. Chris always carried himself with dignity and class. Vikings fans worldwide will greatly miss him”

Skol Doleman!!

Why do we always hear about this stuff until its too late? I didnt know anything about him having brain cancer. It would have been nice for him to have a chris doleman appreciation day at a vikings game

So he said on Saturday he was a 2 year survivor and he died of brain cancer Tuesday? Doesn't compute.

Why do we always hear about this stuff until its too late? I didnt know anything about him having brain cancer. It would have been nice for him to have a chris doleman appreciation day at a vikings game

The above is an ESPN article from over a year ago talking about Doleman undergoing surgery to remove a brain tumor. It seems like it's your own fault if this is the first you're hearing about it.

Souhan: Chris Doleman, gone too soon, was much more than a tremendous football player

During his first stint with the Vikings, Doleman often would carry an expensive-looking briefcase into the lockerroom. Teammates would tease him, saying he was carrying an apple and a newspaper. When Doleman would read the Wall Street Journal, it seemed as much to send a message as to gather information. He didn’t want to be seen as one-dimensional.

He wasn’t. Doleman loved golf and fine wine, and that’s what he wanted to talk about when I reintroduced myself in September of 1999.

He invited me to sit next to him and quizzed me on my knowledge of wine, which was minimal. He offered wine and book recommendations. As fierce as ever on the field, Doleman wanted to let me know that he knew there was more to life than football, and that he had used football to give himself a good life.

That good life did not last long enough. Doleman died on Tuesday at the age of 58, less than eight years after his induction into the Hall of Fame. Brain cancer ravaged that inquisitive mind.

Life isn’t fair. Neither is death.

Skol Doleman!!

Top Bottom