Vikings and Gopher legend Bud Grant dies at age 95

Someone should produce a movie about Bud's life. You could call it Bud, and it would be amazing to see. RIP Coach.

This was an absolutely terrible take by the startribune editorial board.

They basically called him and old, white, racist.

But times change, and another thing about Grant's visage is that it was white. Nothing wrong with that — it seems egregious to even bring up, except that it's representative of the era in which he lived and of the complicated evolution of racial balance taking place in current times, both in society at large and in professional football leadership specifically.

This was an absolutely terrible take by the startribune editorial board.

They basically called him and old, white, racist.

But times change, and another thing about Grant's visage is that it was white. Nothing wrong with that — it seems egregious to even bring up, except that it's representative of the era in which he lived and of the complicated evolution of racial balance taking place in current times, both in society at large and in professional football leadership specifically.
They pointed out the Vikings had never hired a black Asst Coach until after Grant left, which you omitted and provides context for the paragraph you are focusing on.

I think you are reaching that they are calling him specifically a racist.

Times changed.

They pointed out the Vikings had never hired a black Asst Coach until after Grant left, which you omitted and provides context for the paragraph you are focusing on.

I think you are reaching that they are calling him specifically a racist.

Times changed.
Cause there were just so many African American assistant coaches in the nfl in the 60’, 70’s, and 80’s. If not for Bus Grant the entire Vikings coaching staff would have been African American in the 1970’s.

It was such an unneeded shot at Bud Grant that resolved nothing. Will race relations all of a sudden be better because Bud is dead and the Vikings have people in charge that are African American?

Cause there were just so many African American assistant coaches in the nfl in the 60’, 70’s, and 80’s. If not for Bus Grant the entire Vikings coaching staff would have been African American in the 1970’s.

It was such an unneeded shot at Bud Grant that resolved nothing. Will race relations all of a sudden be better because Bud is dead and the Vikings have people in charge that are African American?
Feel free to read whatever you want into it, I did not see it has a shot at Bud Grant.

It was used as a contrast, throughout his coaching tenure not even 1 black Asst Coach (of course back then teams had as few as 3-5). As the piece stated, "it's representative of the era in which he lived". Now the GM is Kwasi Adofo-Mensa. That's progress.

Times changed. Grant never coached an NFL game against a Head Coach of African-American dissent. Obviously that was not Bud Grant's doing, just another example of era in which he lived.

Feel free to read whatever you want into it, I did not see it has a shot at Bud Grant.

It was used as a contrast, throughout his coaching tenure not even 1 black Asst Coach (of course back then teams had as few as 3-5). As the piece stated, "it's representative of the era in which he lived". Now the GM is Kwasi Adofo-Mensa. That's progress.

Times changed. Grant never coached an NFL game against a Head Coach of African-American dissent. Obviously that was not Bud Grant's doing, just another example of era in which he lived.
Fair enough. Yes that was the era he lived and coached in. I guess I don’t like the mention as it casts Grant in a bad light in he is not alive to defend himself. Thought it was not needed in the story. Obviously the editorial board did not either as they wrote their long reason for bringing it up before brining it up anyway.

On the broader sense I don’t like that people are held to 2023 standards when they lived in much earlier times.

Top Bottom