VIDEO: Staying in the House - Outside Zone Execution vs. Nebraska - Episode 2

DanielHouse

Reaction score
In the latest episode of Staying in the House, I took you inside my film room to analyze the Gophers' outside zone rushing success. Why did this scheme work so effectively in 2019? Please feel free to post any topics you would like me to cover in future videos.

Damn, this is some good stuff Daniel. The outside zone is a tough play to master. I know Ciarrocca put a lot of time and work into this play and it certainly paid off

Where did you get these cutups?

This OL blocking scheme in the RPO will continue under Sanford and Simon with a new wrinkle - the insertion of TE plays. Once these group develops, it will be more exciting to watch.

It became very difficult last season for opposing Defenses to shut down the Gophers run plays. There was always an imminent credible threat of a pass play. The Gophers had the best Wide Receiving tandem we haven't seen in awhile. Master Magician Morgan has a killer quick release.

We can give credit to the success of the 2019 season to the growth of Offensive Line as a unit. It took some time and the maturation. This RPO blocking scheme was very difficult to master. This unit when through the failure cycle together in 2018. This is what PJ Fleck meant when he was touting "Failure is Growth". All their hard work was displayed in the physical domination of the Badgers at Camp Randall Stadium at the end of the 2018 season. That will forever go down as one of the most memorable games in my lifetime.

John Michael Schmitz was the unsung leader of this OL cabal last season. He has developed into a tremendous player.

Lots of optimism abound in the future of the Offensive Line. I would not be surprised if most of the starting OL ended up in the NFL.

This bodes well for future recruiting, development, and stabilization of the Offensive Line. Finally, we have continuity. Below is the current roster for OLs and TEs. Missing are OL Martes Lewis, OL Aireontae Ersery, and TE Austin Henderson who are reporting this Fall Semester.

Let's hope and pray that the team overcome this far greater challenge in our lifetime - the pandemic.

Believe in ?. Keep your distancing, and shelter in place. Be safe.

64Conner OlsonOL6-5305R-Sr.Monticello, Minn. / Monticello
70Sam SchlueterOL6-6325R-Sr.Victoria, Minn. / Mayer Lutheran
60John Michael SchmitzOL6-4315R-Jr.Flossmoor, Ill. / Homewood-Flossmoor
65Axel RuschmeyerOL6-4305R-Jr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
77Blaise AndriesOL6-6325R-Jr.Marshall, Minn. / Marshall
78Daniel FaaleleOL6-9400Jr.Melbourne, Australia / IMG Academy
51Curtis Dunlap Jr.OL6-5345R-So.Jacksonville, Fla. / IMG Academy
63Austin BeierOL6-4310R-So.Toledo, Ohio / St. John's
66Nathan BoeOL6-4295R-So.Lakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North
50JJ GuedetOL6-7310R-Fr.Washington, Ill. / Washington Community High School
56Cody SmithOL6-4295R-Fr.Eagan, Minn. / Eagan
75Tyler CooperOL6-5310R-Fr.Saint Croix Falls, Wis. / Saint Croix Falls High School
68Jackson RuschmeyerOL6-5295Fr.Hutchinson, Minn. / Holy Family Catholic
73Tyrell LawrenceOL6-7345Fr.Mississauga, Ontario / Clearwater Academy International
42Ko KieftTE6-4255R-Sr.Sioux Center, Iowa / Sioux Center
85Bryce WithamTE6-4265R-Sr.Grand Rapids, Mich. / West Catholic
80Jake PaulsonTE6-5270R-Jr.Louisville, Ky. / Christian Academy
86Clayton WitherspoonTE6-4255R-Jr.Eden Prairie, Minn. / Eden Prairie
88Brevyn Spann-FordTE6-7270R-So.St. Cloud, Minn. / St. Cloud Technical Senior
87Nick KallerupTE6-5260R-Fr.Wayzata, Minn. / Wayzata

Last edited:

Thanks Daniel,
I bet this is a better scouting report than any Nebraska coach could do.

I really enjoyed this Daniel, fantastic information! Thanks for doing these.

Daniel House ? This kid is going somewhere.

This is great stuff! Where do we find the inside zone analysis you said was already up? I looked - but my old brain just didn't see it.

As a former high school teacher I can not help but give Daniel an "A" for this excellent and very informative video. It could use a bit of editing that would take out three or four minutes, but he knows that. Otherwise, an A+. Outstanding!

Yes, please direct us toward the inside zone explanation. I know there are thousands of videos online about the inside zone, but I'd like to see the Gopher's version

Top Bottom