VIDEO: Remembering When the Minnesota Mascot Trucked a Kid

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Max:

Some time ago, all of Minnesota's professional sports teams' mascots got together to play a game against a local youth football team. It sounds like a fun, harmless idea, right? Well, that couldn't have been further from the truth.

Goldy Gopher, the Minnesota Golden Gophers mascot, made sure of that. Just take a look at what he does to this poor kid, whose only crime was getting in Goldy's way to the end zone.

Aside from the hit, the crowd's reaction is what really makes this video. Goldy is treated like a classic WWE villain. The boos are loud when he lowers his shoulder and trucks the kid, but they only get worse once the crowd actually sees the replay on the jumbotron.

And Goldy certainly seems to embrace the villain role. While celebrating the score, he spins his head around like the demon from "The Exorcist," and shows absolutely no remorse for his actions.

Go Goldy!!

That will always be the funniest thing in my memory. He got blasted. I'd like to make a poster of the still shot of that and hang it on my wall at work. Right next to my PHD in childishness and immaturity.

How did I miss knowing about that? The kids fine. It's hillarious.

If we would have tackled low he might had a chance. However with the new Gophers now watch out!

Is that Elite??? Wonder if this was part of the new culture Fleck was trying to instill of part of Claeys hit them late hit them hard coaching.

Is that Elite??? Wonder if this was part of the new culture Fleck was trying to instill of part of Claeys hit them late hit them hard coaching.

If I recall correctly, in the weeks leading up to that game, Julius had developed a reputation for laying some big hits of his own.

I have no doubt that the kickoff scouting report said “watch out for the kicker, he can actually tackle”.

But to claim that that hit was somehow a reflection on Claeys is unbelievably stupid.

If I recall correctly, in the weeks leading up to that game, Julius had developed a reputation for laying some big hits of his own.

I have no doubt that the kickoff scouting report said “watch out for the kicker, he can actually tackle”.

But to claim that that hit was somehow a reflection on Claeys is unbelievably stupid.

It would also be dumb to connect it to Fleck's culture as well. It was a dumb post in a funny thread. Meant for a laugh not serious reflection.

Goldy's fun and frivolity is different from Jalen Waters' hit on Joey Julius.

Joey and Jalen were jostling around on a previous kick off. Julius had been building a reputation as an aggressive hitter. He became a marked man with his new found reputation. He almost took off the head of a Michigan punt returner with a high hit, and should have been ejected.

He left the team after the Waters hit. What Happened to him is sad. Here is a video that explains it all.

Last edited:

Joey clearly could give a hit. At the same time clearly didn't like it when he took a hit.

Finally watched the video on Joey. Didn't realize that there was a story behind the story. Glad to hear he is doing better. I think he realized though if you're going to give a hit, you've got to be prepared to take a hit.

Goldy's fun and frivolity is different from Jalen Waters' hit on Joey Julius.

Joey and Jalen were jostling around on a previous kick off. Julius had been building a reputation as an aggressive hitter. He became a marked man with his new found reputation. He almost took off the head of a Michigan punt returner with a high hit, and should have been ejected.

He left the team after the Waters hit. What Happened to him is sad. Here is a video that explains it all.

The hit on the Michigan returner looked clean to me in the video posted above. They showed two different angles. It’s similar to Winfield’s hit on Wandale Robinson on the sideline. At play speed, it looked like it might have been high, but it clearly wasn’t.

Top Bottom