Video: P.J. Fleck says Gophers spring football is 'about bringing the floor up'

For those who want to save the 10 minutes. We got a lot of guys who are not practicing (vaguely referenced off season surgeries/healing) so the backups are getting a long look.
He shows off the guns a bit...conclusion: he works out.

Since PJ arrived the quality of the players being recruited, visiting & signed has increased. The signs of a solid stable program which for some longtime fans feels unnatural.

Sounds like Nuke Hayes is making the case for meaningful playing time this year if any of the expected starters don't grow to match the new QB (or are injured). Kind of hoping Lanier takes the next step, too. Good, game-quality depth a WR (and TE)--esp. contested catch ability--would really make Brosmer's job easier.

Since PJ arrived the quality of the players being recruited, visiting & signed has increased. The signs of a solid stable program which for some longtime fans feels unnatural.
Where are the results? One good season and a couple of bowl wins ain't gonna cut it.

last year, it really seemed that there was a drop-off at a lot of positions when the starters were out - especially in the secondary and LB. you could really see the difference from the 1st-string to the 2nd-string. whether it's through recruiting or coaching, they need to do a better job of getting younger players in a position where they can hold their own if/when they go in the game. can't have young guys out there looking shell-shocked.

last year, it really seemed that there was a drop-off at a lot of positions when the starters were out - especially in the secondary and LB. you could really see the difference from the 1st-string to the 2nd-string. whether it's through recruiting or coaching, they need to do a better job of getting younger players in a position where they can hold their own if/when they go in the game. can't have young guys out there looking shell-shocked.
Last season was extremely disappointing, but we're not OSU and Michigan, who can reload each year or mid-season. Fleck has elevated the talent, but we'll still have a down year occasionally and I can live with that. But we need to rebound this year.

The team is improved will that lead to a winning record with a tough schedule?

Last season was extremely disappointing, but we're not OSU and Michigan, who can reload each year or mid-season. Fleck has elevated the talent, but we'll still have a down year occasionally and I can live with that. But we need to rebound this year.
I'm hoping for the day, before I die, that we fill our stadium with OUR fans. It been almost forever it seems.

I'm hoping for the day, before I die, that we fill our stadium with OUR fans. It been almost forever it seems.
May have been one more recent but 2019 vs PSU was for sure filled with our fans. Were you not there?

PJ seems to recognize what we all (well most of us) did last season. When our 1 guy was out ... the backups were sometimes lacking, maybe noticeably.

I guess I don't agree it's been that bad since the new stadium opened. When the stadium is mostly full, it's typically mostly Gopher fans. Do a lot of Badger and Husker fans get in? Of course. And I admit that it seemed like a lot more of them last year (and Michigan fans). But I don't think it has been the norm over the past 10 years or so.

Even though PJ talks about being a “development program”, we truly are not. Practice reps are largely the 1s and 2s with a lot of standing around by the others. If truly interested in being a developmental program, he would “double rep” during practices. I had the fortune of being invited to a Michigan practice and I would argue that their depth in helping them win the National Championship was due, in part, to the development of the players through double repping during practice. Hard to get better when you are standing around.

May have been one more recent but 2019 vs PSU was for sure filled with our fans. Were you not there?
I was not there for that one. We were season ticketholders for 20 years but now live too far away to be feasible. While there have been a few games where Gopher fan attendance was exemplary my wish is that it would become the norm. We have a large alumni base living right in the Cities, selling out regularly shouldn't be that hard but it certainly hasn't been the case.

I guess I don't agree it's been that bad since the new stadium opened. When the stadium is mostly full, it's typically mostly Gopher fans. Do a lot of Badger and Husker fans get in? Of course. And I admit that it seemed like a lot more of them last year (and Michigan fans). But I don't think it has been the norm over the past 10 years or so.
Yup, I got that. On the flip side around the conference, teams like Becky and Nebby regurlarly fill their stadiums and have for quite some times.

Yup, I got that. On the flip side around the conference, teams like Becky and Nebby regurlarly fill their stadiums and have for quite some times.
Yes and we've discussed the reasons behind that on here 1,000 times so I won't even get into that now.

Top Bottom