Video: Memorial Stadium Memories - 1977. U of M vs. Washington

Reaction score
From GopherSports.com: Leading up to the debut of TCF Bank Stadium, Gophersports.com will take a look back at some memorial moments from Memorial Stadium. This week, we'll review Minnesota's 19-17 win over eventual Rose Bowl champion Washington in October 1977. Next week, the Gophers upset No. 10 USC back in 1955 (with video!).

Interesting side notes: Marion Barber III's father Marion Barber Jr. was a freshman running back for the Gophers in this game. Former Vikings quarterback Warren Moon played for the Washington Huskies in this game.

Click on the link below.

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=3748065

1977 was a pretty decent year- gophers defeated both of the Rose Bowl participants (who in recent memory can say they've done that?)

How bout those helmet stickers on #11 in that picture. Let's bring those back!!!! they look like stars though. I think we could do better than that. Little tiny outline of the State of Minnesota stickers is what I would like to see.

I have never been a fan of helmet stickers with rare exceptions for places like OSU where it is a long tradition.

It was fun reading about that game/season. Thankfully Goldy traded in that costume made of 70's carpet.

Not only did they beat the two Rose Bowl participants (Washington and Michigan) in 1977, but they also beat UCLA!

Hard to believe that one year later, after a 5-6 season (4-4 in the Big 10), they let Cal Stoll go

How bout those helmet stickers on #11 in that picture. Let's bring those back!!!! they look like stars though. I think we could do better than that. Little tiny outline of the State of Minnesota stickers is what I would like to see.

That #11 is actually #41, Marion Barber. I thought it looked like Barber (maybe my favorite Gopher of all-time), even though it looks like an 11. But the article notes that it's Barber pictured.

Letting Cal Stoll go was the stupidist move.....

I remember the reason they gave him was that he couldn't keep
pace with the Vikings. The U didn't even know what game they were playing.

They had no weight room to speak of, and were showing game films on
the walls of hallways. The assistant pay and facilities were pathetic,
and the U's marketing was either awful or non-existent.

Still, Stoll managed to recruit players like Barber, Dungy, Upchurch, Powell, and
others and also had four winning seasons in seven.

When looked it in its proper context, Cal Stoll did a remarkable job.
Almost everyone knew it except the U.

Cal Stoll - coulda, shoulda, alas....

It's really a shame the more I think about it how Cal Stoll was let go. If he could have just been able to remain for a few more years -

I was a U student in the late '70's and the Big 10 was nearing the end (although we did not know it then) of more than a decade of the "Big 2, Little 8" label. I am not sure whether Paul Giel was more concerned with filling the seats (stadium's fault) or getting to the "Big 2" level in the standings (coach's fault), but at any rate he was convinced that the Cal would never get them there either way. Then Woody was fired in 1978 and Iowa (in '81 and '85) and Illinois ('83) finally broke through with some Big 10 titles and the Big 2, Little 8 moniker was set aside - no thanks to Minnesota.

If my memory serves me correctly, Giel gave Stoll the option of going before the public saying that he was going to "step down" as a coach (similar to what had happened with Murray Warmath). Cal refused (he was not going to go that peacefully) - essentially making Giel go in front of the cameras and say that Stoll had been fired.

It's really a shame the more I think about it how Cal Stoll was let go. If he could have just been able to remain for a few more years -

I was a U student in the late '70's and the Big 10 was nearing the end (although we did not know it then) of more than a decade of the "Big 2, Little 8" label. I am not sure whether Paul Giel was more concerned with filling the seats (stadium's fault) or getting to the "Big 2" level in the standings (coach's fault), but at any rate he was convinced that the Cal would never get them there either way. Then Woody was fired in 1978 and Iowa (in '81 and '85) and Illinois ('83) finally broke through with some Big 10 titles and the Big 2, Little 8 moniker was set aside - no thanks to Minnesota.

If my memory serves me correctly, Giel gave Stoll the option of going before the public saying that he was going to "step down" as a coach (similar to what had happened with Murray Warmath). Cal refused (he was not going to go that peacefully) - essentially making Giel go in front of the cameras and say that Stoll had been fired.

paul giel: an all-time great gopher student-athlete and still a legend, but an absolutely horrible athletic director. what shame.....

Top Bottom