Video: Kaler reacts to boycott ending, says coaches were in tough spot

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

KSTP Reporter Jay Kolls caught up with University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler after the announcement Saturday morning that the Gophers football team would in fact play in the Holiday Bowl on Dec. 27 in San Diego.

The Gophers' participation in the Holiday Bowl was in question after the team boycotted all football activities because of the suspension of 10 players accused of participating in a sexual assault.

<iframe scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen src="http://w3.cdn.anvato.net/player/prod/anvload.html?key=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" width ="640" height="360"></iframe>

http://kstp.com/sports/interview-un...-kaler-gophers-football-holiday-bowl/4347702/

Go Gophers!!

I'd be surprised if the Holiday Bowl wasn't Claeys' last game as head coach. Kaler isn't going to come out against Claeys before the game is played. He's just avoiding the question.

Kaler is spinning this way too much.

The players were never attacking the victims of sexual violence. They were attacking the process in which this case was handled. There was never talk of boycott when the players were arrested and suspended.

If you believe a person of murder is getting an unjust trial/punishment/etc., and you voice that the trial/hearing is unjust. . . you're not defending murder.

The players were never attacking the victims of sexual violence. They were attacking the process in which this case was handled. There was never talk of boycott when the players were arrested and suspended.

If you believe a person of murder is getting an unjust trial/punishment/etc., and you voice that the trial/hearing is unjust. . . you're not defending murder.

Agree 100%, Anyone claiming these players are defending the act of sexual misconduct against women is really naive about what they were boycotting here.

Wow. A rational thread. Well, only 5 posts so far.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's how it all went down. Kahler and Coyle sat down with Alumnus $$ bags.

A$$: IMG_1044.JPGYou guys know we have a big problem, right?

KC: Mr A$$, you mean the cost of season tickets, fundraising for the new facilities, the price of 3.2 beer at TCF, and all this snow? IMG_1045.JPG

A$$: Yeah, all those things, but no you idiots! I'm talking about the boycott of bowl game. You do understand that this is the most important thing in this massive mess.

KC: Of course.

A$$: Now you know the right thing to do here don't you?

KC: Shut down the program, clean house, and put in place new institutional controls to make sure something like this never happens again?

A$$: No you fools! We need to honor the coaches and players who rewarded us fans with the most mediocre 8-4 season ever by playing in this incredibly prestigious bowl game that no one will be watching. Do you you understand?!?

KC: Oh yeah, we were just kidding Mr. A$$ about cleaning up the program.

A$$: Good. Now just so we are clear here, you know who's in charge?

KC: Us?

A$$: (look of disdain and disbelief)

KC: We mean you, Mr. A$$.

A$$: That's right. Now that we got that straight, here's what you spineless cowards are going to do. You're going to go over to the football complex and kiss our player's dumb coddled a$$', accept their BS statement Hutton wrote up for them, and then hold a press conference letting everyone know we are going to SD after all and that everything is going to be okay. Got it?

KC: 10-4, on our way.

Kaler is now on video as labeling the players as rapists without a shred of legal judgment in support.

The lawsuits can't come soon enough for this mealy mouthed coward.

Dumb comments by Kaler,

He on television just made comments about a victim of sexual violence when his university has openly suspended players.
Meaning he just opened himself and the school up to lawsuits regarding student data privacy.

Kaler is now on video as labeling the players as rapists without a shred of legal judgment in support.

Correct. That interview may have just ended Kaler's term as president

Correct. That interview may have just ended Kaler's term as president

I realize this is a highly emotional time and I realize that we are in uncharted waters when it comes to the due to the process questions but how did you come to that conclusion? I know, it is because you are angry.

I realize this is a highly emotional time and I realize that we are in uncharted waters when it comes to the due to the process questions but how did you come to that conclusion? I know, it is because you are angry.
He just opened his university up to lawsuits with his comments. Board of regents won't like that.

9fhq2cZ.gif

Could someone please ask him about the timing of this?
If this is supposedly "bigger than just football" how was it that this hit at the absolute most destructive second for football, and the single most advantageous moment for Kim Hewitt's obvious agenda.

To me, this interview is not damning. He was saying that the players appropriately explained that they support victims of sexual violence. How does that "end his career"?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

To me, this interview is not damning. He was saying that the players appropriately explained that they support victims of sexual violence. How does that "end his career"?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Any comments he make sure involing both the topic of sexual violence and the suspended players are opening up the university to litigation

Any comments he make sure involing both the topic of sexual violence and the suspended players are opening up the university to litigation

It's certainly a touchy subject, but he drive a truck through that door.

His underlying tone really indicates what kind of "fair and impartial" judgements that the "U" is capable of rendering.

The players demanded that ALL TEN of the suspensions be lifted. That was very naive and stupid on their part.

Could someone please ask him about the timing of this?
If this is supposedly "bigger than just football" how was it that this hit at the absolute most destructive second for football, and the single most advantageous moment for Kim Hewitt's obvious agenda.
You nailed it. The timing is the crucial element - would have been entirely different situation if released in January - or even closer to the police investigation. If Kaler is responsible for the timing he should be in big trouble.

Here is one way to read Kaler's comments:

by stressing the "victims of sexual violence" angle - he seems to be implying that the accused players are 'guilty' before the process is complete. The players still have the right of appeal and the right to a hearing. But, the President of the University appears to have already formed an opinion on the case.

I am disappointed in the players for their behavior - but I am also disappointed in how Kaler and Coyle handled this entire matter. The U of MN appears to have a leadership gap. or, to use a more colorful metaphor, the fish is rotten from the head down.

Top Bottom