Video: Ben Johnson calls 2024-25 Gophers 'deepest team that I've had, not close'

The team depth is great. So many senior level players with a lot of experience. I have a good feeling we will be a surprise this year. It would be great to finish in the top half of the conference.

4 years in and the team has less continuity than a Pitino team. That is saying something. Yes, yes I want the team to finish at the top of the big ten and Ben to solidify his role as a new leader in this new age of college basketball.

to borrow a phrase from Ryan Burns - "I hear what you say but I trust what you do."

meaning - it's great to talk about depth - but once the games start, how many players will be in the rotation and how many will actually get meaningful minutes?

by meaningful - I am not talking about some guy playing the last minute of a game with a 20-point lead or deficit. I'm talking about playing at least 5 minutes or more while the outcome of the game is still in doubt.

I hope - I really hope - that Ben will actually play an 8- or 9-man regular rotation with every scholarship player receiving at least a few minutes every game.

but I'm not going to hold my breath. when B1G season rolls around, I expect the bench to get shorter, because that is what Ben has always done. now, if he is willing to change, that's great. but I won't expect it until I actually see it.

but I'm not going to hold my breath. when B1G season rolls around, I expect the bench to get shorter, because that is what Ben has always done. now, if he is willing to change, that's great. but I won't expect it until I actually see it.

There are those who believe that coaches (and other leaders) primarily do things because of who they are and there are those who believe that those people make choices because of their circumstances. While I believe both are true to a degree, I lean more towards the latter so I expect that a coach who perceives that he has more depth on his team than usual will use that depth more than usual.

I was happy how so many GHolers were positively surprised by the signings, when they finally all came in. It's a positive story after a disastrous loss of players to NIL, like the Prophet.

Now need to get it done... can this team make the NCAA tournament?

I still say it starts with Garcia. Garcia is the indispensable man.

There are those who believe that coaches (and other leaders) primarily do things because of who they are and there are those who believe that those people make choices because of their circumstances. While I believe both are true to a degree, I lean more towards the latter so I expect that a coach who perceives that he has more depth on his team than usual will use that depth more than usual.
Ben had good reasons to have a short bench. He lacked guys he could trust and follow his system. Like you, I believe Ben may have that option with this roster.

Top Bottom