Video: Ben Johnson calls 2024-25 Gophers 'deepest team that I've had, not close'

Thank you for posting this.

Mentioned Patterson, Odukale, Cochran, Frank Mitchell, Rigsby of the transfers, but no mention of Edmonds or Williams.

Last edited:

Thank you for posting this.

Mentioned Patterson, Odukale, Cochran, Frank Mitchell, Rigsby of the transfers, but no mention of Edmonds or Williams.
I also noticed the no mention of Williams, but what surprised me the most was that Kadyn Betts was the guy he definitely got the most excited about besides Dawson. Some nice things to say about Isaac Asuma but more that he was forced to get better than he was good.

Not sure what to think if Kadyn is our second best player.
He didn't praise anyone else with the length of time or enthusiasm he did for Betts.

I also noticed the no mention of Williams, but what surprised me the most was that Kadyn Betts was the guy he definitely got the most excited about besides Dawson. Some nice things to say about Isaac Asuma but more that he was forced to get better than he was good.

Not sure what to think if Kadyn is our second best player.
He didn't praise anyone else with the length of time or enthusiasm he did for Betts.
Don’t think he implied that at all.

That’s kind of like saying my 2011 civic is the best car I’ve ever had

He didn't say it was the "best" team he ever had (although it might be; not a very high bar). He said it was his deepest team so that's more like saying that your 2011 civic got the best gas mileage of any car you owned. I think it's hard to argue against the idea that this is likely the deepest team he's assembled in his four years.

Do you disagree with this?
He explained that with Garcia hurt players received more run in practice, including Betts.
Then he was specifically asked a question regarding Betts. He provided details, much as he did when asked specifically about Frank Mitchell.
Guess I’m just not seeing your take on him presenting Betts as the 2nd best player.
We apparently see it differently which certainly happens, 60’s Guy.

Last edited:

This was the best set of questions I have seen reporters ask him and he responded well.
I would have like to heard him talk about the defense and the need to be a lot better than last year on that end.
Interesting that he felt this team could handle a tougher schedule than last year's team so that's a positive. He seems to like Rigsby. Actually, I think he spoke pretty highly of Asuma as well, saying that he has had a huge summer. Mitchell being a point forward type might really help Garcia and he did think we would be a "potent" offensive team.

We'll know a lot after Florida as a team this old should hit their stride earlier, if they are going to be good.

Two pieces of good news:

1) "Deeper" should mean 9-, 10-, 11- man substitution rotations instead of 6-man or 7-man rotations like last year.

2) Betts emphasis could mean that our big-wing weakness has been solved by Kaydn Betts' development.

Two pieces of VERY GOOD NEWS!

Two pieces of good news:

1) "Deeper" should mean 9-, 10-, 11- man substitution rotations instead of 6-man or 7-man rotations like last year.

2) Betts emphasis could mean that our big-wing weakness has been solved by Kaydn Betts' development.

Two pieces of VERY GOOD NEWS!
That was definitely good news the way he talked about KB. I'm definitely excited to see his potential. He came to the U early, and is entering his 3rd year with the program.
Depth has always been our Achilles heel with CBJ. I think Frank Mitchell is going to have a big year and average a double double

His self proclaimed deepest with arguably the best offensive player he’s ever had in Garcia. 12 games of 20 or more points last year. 3 games with 30 or more.

His self proclaimed deepest with arguably the best offensive player he’s ever had in Garcia. 12 games of 20 or more points last year. 3 games with 30 or more.
This should also be a physically tough team as compared to last year. We brought in some bruisers replacing finesse players in Christie and Hawkins. Odukale, Patterson, Cochran and Mitchell are all big physical guys at their slots.

This should also be a physically tough team as compared to last year. We brought in some bruisers replacing finesse players in Christie and Hawkins. Odukale, Patterson, Cochran and Mitchell are all big physical guys at their slots.
Along with Garcia possibly being the best offensive player, F Mitchell could possibly be the best rebounder he’s had and maybe Cochran could turn out to be the best defender he has had.
Have on my maroon sunglasses this morning.

Along with Garcia possibly being the best offensive player, F Mitchell could possibly be the best rebounder he’s had and maybe Cochran could turn out to be the best defender he has had.
Have on my maroon sunglasses this morning.

Like it. Hopefully they gel a bit quicker than last year's team.

Experience, being much stronger physically, defense, depth, ball movement and I hope boards will be our strengths. Outside of Garcia, and then I hope Mike, I have no idea who BJ can depend on to average 10-12 ppg. Realistically, we could have 4-5 guys average 6-8 ppg.

It will be interesting to see if Betts is ready to contribute.

Sounds about like 90% of the sports fans I know. We're either great or we suck worse than ever! We sports fans are the ultimate in the realm of Knee-Jerk reactions.
Pretty sure knee-jerk reactions originated in Minnesota

• Haha
Reactions: Go4

That was definitely good news the way he talked about KB. I'm definitely excited to see his potential. He came to the U early, and is entering his 3rd year with the program.
Depth has always been our Achilles heel with CBJ. I think Frank Mitchell is going to have a big year and average a double double
It could happen, I guess, but only one player averaged a double double in BT play last season: Edey.

Top Bottom