Video analysis - soon to welcome WA to B1G

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
There are several other threads where this would fit (including one that I started). However, I felt this stats-backed speculation in video form deserves its own new thread.

Basically, after watching it - opinion remains firm that Notre Dame is first in line. But, Stanford and Washington look like they would be in line ahead of Oregon.

There are several other threads where this would fit (including one that I started). However, I felt this stats-backed speculation in video form deserves its own new thread.

Basically, after watching it - opinion remains firm that Notre Dame is first in line. But, Stanford and Washington look like they would be in line ahead of Oregon.

Didn't see a lot of confidence here that ND is coming over.

My belief (since the thread from middle of 2021) has been that the Big Ten valued the 4 California schools and Washington the most of any schools they could expand with from any conference because of TV markets and academics. I didn't think they would pull it off so soon.

Oregon is better at football right now but isn't as desirable as Washington for the TV market and academic reasons. Cal is aligned organizationally with UCLA through the UC system and is likely to follow them. Stanford is aligned with Cal and would be an academic coup for the Big Ten.

If USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, and every team Notre Dame has ever had a rivalry with is in the Big Ten...they are coming too. And that's 20.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 are aligned, and this could be a slow-rolling merger of the conferences. Together they are a money machine. They share sensibilities about the relationships between academics and athletics, and perhaps on NIL. They share underlying political sensibilities at the state level, in varying degrees. That is going to become increasingly significant as state-level policies start to divide much more in the coming years.

The only thing I can conclude from the video that I did not watch is that the old 'espn2' was cool and should be brought back. I want to see that logo in The Bank when we play Nebraska or California!!!

My belief (since the thread from middle of 2021) has been that the Big Ten valued the 4 California schools and Washington the most of any schools they could expand with from any conference because of TV markets and academics. I didn't think they would pull it off so soon.

Oregon is better at football right now but isn't as desirable as Washington for the TV market and academic reasons. Cal is aligned organizationally with UCLA through the UC system and is likely to follow them. Stanford is aligned with Cal and would be an academic coup for the Big Ten.

If USC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, and every team Notre Dame has ever had a rivalry with is in the Big Ten...they are coming too. And that's 20.

The Big Ten and Pac 12 are aligned, and this could be a slow-rolling merger of the conferences. Together they are a money machine. They share sensibilities about the relationships between academics and athletics, and perhaps on NIL. They share underlying political sensibilities at the state level, in varying degrees. That is going to become increasingly significant as state-level policies start to divide much more in the coming years.
If the Big Ten gets Notre Dame and wants to expand to a twenty-team conference, I can see UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington, and Cal (or Oregon) from the PAC 12 joining the Big Ten.

If the Big Ten gets Notre Dame and wants to expand to a twenty-team conference, I can see UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington, and Cal (or Oregon) from the PAC 12 joining the Big Ten.
I get and understand the reasons for USC and UCLA. If Notre Dame were to join, I could see reasons for Stanford joining not only as an enticement for ND, but because Stanford also has a quality athletic department. But I worry about taking too many PAC-12 teams. This conference is arguably the most irrelevant in the power 5 for many reasons. Does having 5 of them join the Big-10 make the issues surrounding why these teams haven’t had success and are irrelevant disappear? Is it automatically going to make college football a priority for fan interest on the west coast where it doesn’t seem to be now? I don’t know the answer but I sure hope the Big10 powers that be think this out very carefully (and I’m sure they will). I understand why UCLA and USC might want Cal but why would the Big10? I’ve read their facilities are beyond subpar and I’m not sure athletics is a focus. Adding Cal isn’t brining you a larger tv audience. I guess adding Washington and Oregon brings you some TV sets but again, we’d be taking 5 teams from a conference that is struggling to to stay relevant even with what USC and UCLA bring to their table. Do we want to add that to our mix?

The more I think about this, and this assumes ND and Stanford are in, I’d look to the ACC for the final two teams if the goal is 20 teams. I’d try to entice two out of North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia Tech. Football is much more supported by the ACC fan bases and school officials than at most PAC-12 schools. If the ACC schools say no for whatever reason, then for the final two slots would have to come from the PAC-12. I think it should be between Oregon, Washington and Arizona, not Cal. Arizona arguably has the better athletic program and facilities and they add a top 10 tv market to the mix.

Just my random thoughts…..

I get and understand the reasons for USC and UCLA. If Notre Dame were to join, I could see reasons for Stanford joining not only as an enticement for ND, but because Stanford also has a quality athletic department. But I worry about taking too many PAC-12 teams. This conference is arguably the most irrelevant in the power 5 for many reasons. Does having 5 of them join the Big-10 make the issues surrounding why these teams haven’t had success and are irrelevant disappear? Is it automatically going to make college football a priority for fan interest on the west coast where it doesn’t seem to be now? I don’t know the answer but I sure hope the Big10 powers that be think this out very carefully (and I’m sure they will). I understand why UCLA and USC might want Cal but why would the Big10? I’ve read their facilities are beyond subpar and I’m not sure athletics is a focus. Adding Cal isn’t brining you a larger tv audience. I guess adding Washington and Oregon brings you some TV sets but again, we’d be taking 5 teams from a conference that is struggling to to stay relevant even with what USC and UCLA bring to their table. Do we want to add that to our mix?

The more I think about this, and this assumes ND and Stanford are in, I’d look to the ACC for the final two teams if the goal is 20 teams. I’d try to entice two out of North Carolina, Virginia and Georgia Tech. Football is much more supported by the ACC fan bases and school officials than at most PAC-12 schools. If the ACC schools say no for whatever reason, then for the final two slots would have to come from the PAC-12. I think it should be between Oregon, Washington and Arizona, not Cal. Arizona arguably has the better athletic program and facilities and they add a top 10 tv market to the mix.

Just my random thoughts…..
I think if they are expanding past 16, they're looking to go to 20 immediately just to make scheduling easier. Unless 8 ACC teams have landing spots, taking ACC teams is not going to happen soon.

I think if they are expanding past 16, they're looking to go to 20 immediately just to make scheduling easier. Unless 8 ACC teams have landing spots, taking ACC teams is not going to happen soon.
You might be right. I guess what I’m saying is that I hope they are a little more patient. The “easiest” path to 20 immediately is probably ND and 3 PAC-12 schools. But would ND and 3 ACC schools be better? I’m not sure, but if you think they would be, you might have to wait this out a little longer.

If Notre Dame moves to the Big Ten after USC And UCLA, anything is possible. Texas could follow.

There is supposedly a member of the Washington state equivalent to the house of representatives that is going to introduce state legislation requiring UW and Wash State to be in the same conference.

Doubt it has a chance in hell of passing. Governor is a UW grad.

If (when) we go to 20 teams, my vote for the conference name would be 2-B1G

B1G2
B1G20

It will probably stay B1G. It looks like "Big" while still paying homage to the original Big 10. A great logo IMO. That said, still referring to the conference as "Big 10" has always felt weird to me.

I can see Cal, Stanford, and WA coming in because of TV marketing and academics.
My old heart would not survive seeing NE and ND playing a BIG team very Saturday on TV.
ND spurned the BIG twice.
I want to see them crawling on hands and knees begging to get in and then be refused entry.
If you think NE as a program is entitled and whining, ND takes those to a new level.

Pac12 has a lot of great schools. One week ago I’d have said this was a bad idea, but Now that the genie is out, Just merge much of it with the B1G. The problem is that much of the ACc would fit too. let that scum UNC go to scum conference SEC though. Perfect fit for that level of cheating.

What I actually see is the NCAA’s biggest schools essentially being split in half within the next decade. The New Union will absorb the northern part of the PAC12 and the northern part of the ACC and form an athletic conference with their own rules. The New Confederacy will absorb the southern schools and roll under another, different set of rules. Rarely will they cross over, excepting a final tournament to close out the season.

Last edited:

UW has a history of selling out their fellow Northwest schools for far less than the dollar figures that have been bandied about here. They consider their peers to be the California PAC schools, not (in their opinion) the overgrown truck driving schools in Pullman, Oregon, and Corvallis.

I can see Cal, Stanford, and WA coming in because of TV marketing and academics.
My old heart would not survive seeing NE and ND playing a BIG team very Saturday on TV.
ND spurned the BIG twice.
I want to see them crawling on hands and knees begging to get in and then be refused entry.
If you think NE as a program is entitled and whining, ND takes those to a new level.
Hate to break your heart but if ND wants to join, the B1G couldn't roll out the red carpet fast enough!

If (when) we go to 20 teams, my vote for the conference name would be 2-B1G
B1G2
B1G20

It will probably stay B1G. It looks like "Big" while still paying homage to the original Big 10. A great logo IMO. That said, still referring to the conference as "Big 10" has always felt weird to me.
I am going to throw this in the mix:

B1GX2

Arizona arguably has the better athletic program and facilities and they add a top 10 tv market to the mix.
You must mean ASU. U of A is in Tucson and other than March Madness and basketball, gets very little pub here in Phoenix.

Or if we end up with 20 teams, call it the BIG 10100 conference. You really have to be a hard-core run-time programmer to get that one, here's a clue for you...

... "There's only 10 types of people in the world, those that think in binary and those that don't".

Top Bottom