Vida Blue RIP

tikited

Me
Reaction score
A great pitcher and a better name. Below is from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. You know you were great if Hunter added you in one of his novels.

“I let the song build while I sorted through the pile of fat ripe grapefruit next to the basin. The biggest one of the lot weighed almost two pounds. I got a good Vida Blue fastball grip on the f***er and just as ‘White Rabbit’ peaked I lashed it into the tub like a cannonball.

The answer to one of my favorite trivia questions: "Name the last switch-hitter to win the American League MVP Award?" Vida Blue, 1971.

His 1971 season is simply unreal, with these stats: 24-8 with a 1.82 ERA, 24 complete games, eight shutouts, 301 strikeouts in 312 innings pitched and a whip of 0.952.

Edit. Removed Bleacher Report link due to error.

His 1971 season is simply unreal, with these stats: 24-8 with a 1.82 ERA, 24 complete games, eight shutouts, 301 strikeouts in 312 innings pitched and a whip of 0.952.

Edit. Removed Bleacher Report link due to error.
For reference 24 Complete Games is 2/3rds the total in 2022.

For all Major League Pitchers COMBINED (30 Teams), there were only 36 CGs registered.

99bf5bbafa52df85e31c82b6f87a738c.jpg

I found this photo on the Googles. I dig the sleeveless uni.

Last edited:

‘What’s better than fresh milk from kwik trip? Yeahhh, oh boy wholesome milk.’ I now find the kwik trip radio guy ads with his super happy thing annoying.

Back when you could have a dynasty for years in Oakland.

The good old days!

Still remember many yrs ago on my middle school baseball team we gave one of our pitchers the nickname "Vida Red". That was back in the day when kids knew the names of baseball players.

Top Bottom