Very, very poor coaching tonight

Agreed on the set plays. Pretty terrible. Also, I don't like the way Sampson plays at all but it probably doesn't help Iverson's case for PT when he fouls so often and turns the ball over pretty consistently.

"Security," Smith said. "I'm secure with who I am, what my program is all about, what we're going to do and how we're going to do things. For young coaches, it's just hard -- the pressure to win. But I'm at the stage in my career -- I've been doing this 36 years -- where there's nothing that's going to faze me, and the players understand that."

i agree with the action that prompted this quote (sitting nolan and westbrook) but its not hard to read between the lines here.

I didn't say tubby was a bad coach. In fact, i said he is a very good coach. I dont want him to leave, like I said he is the best thing to happen to minnesota sports in a while. The fact that I know he is a very good coach makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Why is the offense so consistently bad? Why has he been out coached several times this year? Why do we have no good inbounds plays? Why do we not have a set rotation? Why is ralph playing more than colt? I dont pretend to be a basketball guru or to know 1/10th that tubby does, but what is going on?

Good, because you are not a coach!!! Are you serious!? I was wondering when someone on here would come and say: "That's not how I would coach." Haha! Congratulations, you are the first one to OFFICIALLY say "I would coach the team different than Tubby." It's totally different when someone actually comes out on this message board and says they would coach a different way than a Hall of Famer and a national champion!

Reading Comprehension, please.

Did you read my post at all? Or, did you just pick out that line???

Actually, I do coach ... but my POINT is that I was acknowledging that some people find Tubby's substitution patterns frustrating. Other coaches, in other situations, have a more decided rotation. Is that not true? Do you believe everyone subs and changes lineups like Tubby has here?

In no way did I say I know more than Tubby, etc ... my entire post is defending the guy!! He's doing it cuz he thinks that's what best for this team and, obviously, as a Hall of Famer I'm not going to criticize. Sheeeeeesh.

My two cents is that I would have thought that Tubby would have won us a few more games by this point....but the terrible free throws and even worse set plays (particularly in bounds plays) have lost more games. I swear we run the same in bounds plays EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! We never look to score. But the free throws are really what's hurting this team, and it will keep on hurting them.

The Gophers need to come up with 3 more wins somewhere on their Big Ten schedule to make the tourney....not sure if it can be done.

Top Bottom