Very poor showing by the Gophers

EG#9

Reaction score
The players and the coaches have to own this one, as they simply gave a game away.

I thought Fisch made some nice playcalls, but a couple were horrid. We had nice momentum to start the game and then we pull Weber on the 2nd freaking play for that wildcat hand-off? 9 year loss, killed momentum that was already building.

Completions to Graham. Who else was Tolzein going to throw to? Why did we not have this covered on 3rd downs? This is BEFORE the 3rd and 11 blitz where we somehow didn't think it would be a good idea to cover their only threat in the passing game.

Bogus call on Simmons cost us 3 points. I don't feel sorry for Traye as his play has left much to be desired, but that was a bad call.

Gophers first drive where they settled for the field goal. Tow-Arnett wide open and Weber misses him. A 4th year in the program QB cannot miss that throw in such a big game, it just can't happen.

Play of the game: illegal chop block. While I am upset at the officials for calling this, I don't understand the playcall. It was first and goal inside the one and we try the fade? That should have been the FB dive, every time. It also should be noted that a little more run strength from Stoudermire and he makes it in the endzone on the preceding play.

Play of the game no.2: Holding on McGarry. I had no problem with the call as this was blatant. If we go up 20-10 on that possession, the game is over. A guy who has such a limited role on the team cannot have such a huge negative impact on a game.

This next point is purely on appearance from TV, but I feel like it needs to be said even though it may be inaccurate. In the 4th quarter, especially on the drive that put Wisconsin up 11, their seemed to be a lot of quit in the Gophers. I don't feel like they wanted to match the physicality of Wisconsin at all at that point in the game.

Adam Weber- We needed more from you. The int on the screen, the taking of a 20 plus yard sack, and especially that last drive with 1:50 to play. The rush was tough, but their was time to throw the ball away. Our 2 minute offense looked like it was being ran by a true Freshman QB.

I expected a crisp performance by a team that REALLY needed to break a bad losing streak. It didn't happen, and that is certainly on Coach Brewster.

EG,

You are pretty much spot on. I was disappointed in a number of things. I really hated seeing them run at will on our D. I think that they just wanted it more.

Hate to say it, but being a third year started, I gotta agree that Weber should be better. He seems to be digressing in his abilities. Really, this loss is on Weber and the run def. How much of that is due to the suspensions, I have no clue, but if the football team is having a difficult time swallowing this loss, they should, but because of their own play. They made to many mistakes today.

great analysis eg#9, spot on.

bret bielema treats minnesota like a home game and treats brewster like tubby treats bo ryan.

Chryst was so far ahead of Cosgrove today it was embarassing. He called a great game and Cosgrove made zero adjustments. Our defense spent the entire day reacting. What did we hope to accomplish by blitzing Theret and Royston? Pointless. Our vaunted LB corp was blocked all day long. Triplett made a few nice plays in the passing game, but none of them were effective against the run.

Let's not rip Cos too much on this. There were some serious TOP issues in the second half.

EG - very good post. Appreciate the read.

FWIW - I noticed on the final play when Weber fumbled how TWO of our OLinemen were within inches of the fumble, yet neither of them had the energy to get to it. On the otherhand, WI Defensive Linemen dove on the free ball & secured the game.

Top Bottom