Very interesting breakdown of several key elements the MN/Iowa game...

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Yes, it's from Iowa blog BHGP. But it's also a good breakdown that had some interesting notes about our defense. Here's a sample:
Step 2: Crazy wide defensive linemen
It certainly seemed like Minnesota was copying the recently popular NFL concept of setting their ends up in the so-called "wide nine" stance, as in outside the tight ends. And unlike NFL teams, who prefer this look solely on passing downs, it certainly seemed like Minnesota went with this look all the time. Why go this route? Here's a good article on the concept, but the basic idea seems to be to pressure the quarterback. And Vandenberg did seem to face pressure all day, even when Minnesota didn't have an explicit blitz call on. It's hard to say if that was due to the alignment of the ends and how much was due to a mediocre day by the Iowa offensive line, but whatever it was, it worked: Vandenberg never seemed to have time or a lot of space to really set up and uncork his throws. The set-up of the linemen probably also frustrated Iowa's ability to run its standard outside stretch play and the play-action off that stretch play, as the ends were positioned perfectly to meet the running back going outside or the quarterback bootlegging it outside the other way.
If you're someone who likes analysis of schemes and stats, this will be a good read.

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/...ical-in-ferentz-week-9-Stuck-Between-Stations

This would partially explain why some of the running lanes were so wide open for Coker.

It was a good solid article all the way through, and then he throws this gem in toward the end:

"You can only score when you have the ball"

Oh really? Since when?

Enjoyed the article - just wish we had a diagram breakdown of the onside kick, so I could set that as my new wallpaper.

Enjoyed the article - just wish we had a diagram breakdown of the onside kick, so I could set that as my new wallpaper.

I'd like to present you with my epic 5-part picture series entitled "The Bonering".

qrb67l.jpg

eqxix5.jpg

k4tqr.jpg

w851s9.jpg

118lppi.jpg

Tremendously Tremendous.

DP- How do your supervisors feel about the time dedicated to the above outstanding post?

Not that I care because it was OUTSTANDING!

Those pictures really do a good job of putting into perspective how bad Iowa was caught sleeping.

Great play, great post. Iowa fans only see 12-13 Gophers offsides.:drink:

Top Bottom