Very Good Analysis of UNC Challenge

That’s a nice piece. Sounds like they lost some production in a 3rd and 7th round WRs. They’ve recruited well, probably will be better on defense. Every year teams have a different flavor, though.

Hopefully Fleck and Co are efficient, and balanced, at least enough to keep UNC on their heels just a bit and enough to not make UNC look like an elite defense. Hold serve on time of possession. Make some plays on defense, hope the football gods are generous.

Maintain the time of possession strategy we've stuck with and bend but don't break on defense, and we've got a good shot to wear em down and take a win home. I think it's hard to assess how well or poorly we match up based on the sheer difference in the play styles of each conference. If we maintain discipline and make their pass happy offense go three and out over and over, it's done like dinner. They could have the greatest qb since Elway but I'll take a Rossi defensive scheme with players who play within the gameplan every time.

I think by run or pass, Gophs will come out on offense and punch them in the face. Said it in another post, but I think Fleck takes the ball if Gophs win the toss.

I expect the strategy against UNC to be a 40+ minute possession game.

Run it as many times as it takes for them to stop it.

We decided this would be our away game this year. Mack Brown's recruiting has been pretty impressive to say the least, many 4* recruits. As we look at how difficult our schedule appears, our opponents also look at MN as a very tough out. GO GOPHERS

Maintain the time of possession strategy we've stuck with and bend but don't break on defense, and we've got a good shot to wear em down and take a win home. I think it's hard to assess how well or poorly we match up based on the sheer difference in the play styles of each conference. If we maintain discipline and make their pass happy offense go three and out over and over, it's done like dinner. They could have the greatest qb since Elway but I'll take a Rossi defensive scheme with players who play within the gameplan every time.
Don’t under estimate clock rules changes this off-season thay will shorten the game even more

For most of the defense I would guess they’ll be going against the best passer they’ve ever played against

We decided this would be our away game this year. Mack Brown's recruiting has been pretty impressive to say the least, many 4* recruits. As we look at how difficult our schedule appears, our opponents also look at MN as a very tough out. GO GOPHERS
Three top 15 classes in last 4 years. Actually has gotten some 5* players, three of whom are on the team this year. Very good personnel on paper, esp. on offense. LBs really good on defense, but secondary is suspect and DL a question mark. Should be a really good game. A real test for our improved DL Go Gophers!

Interesting game plan. Putting one player over the team.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- North Carolina coach Mack Brown made offensive staff changes with two goals in mind: put quarterback Drake Maye in position to have a great season and maximize his NFL draft future.

"It's hard to really fathom it because you dream of that, one day hearing your name on stage, but at the end of the day, we've just got to win games," Maye said. "The personal accolades will come with winning games."

In short, UNC had a very good pass first offense and terrible defense last year. They lost the O coordinator but kept some of the best players. It feels like a Purdueish type game waiting to happen.

I feel fleck and the Gophers match up well with teams like this. And an 11 and two 9 win seasons have somehow fallen on deaf ears nationally. Nationally, it is still Wisconsin and Iowa that resonate. It seems many still see Nebraska as a better program.

So, I see the Gophers as being underdogs with a potential win being seen with surprise nationally. Definitely a tough road game against a good power 5 opponent. This isn’t Tim Brewster’s Gophers headed to North Carolina for a non conference game. It is Fleck’s Gophers, in year 7!

I feel fleck and the Gophers match up well with teams like this. And an 11 and two 9 win seasons have somehow fallen on deaf ears nationally. Nationally, it is still Wisconsin and Iowa that resonate. It seems many still see Nebraska as a better program.

So, I see the Gophers as being underdogs with a potential win being seen with surprise nationally. Definitely a tough road game against a good power 5 opponent. This isn’t Tim Brewster’s Gophers headed to North Carolina for a non conference game. It is Fleck’s Gophers, in year 7!
It's kinda funny. Much like the general media, big money Cfb rags and websites cater to a certain set of demographics and ignore the realities of the sport as a whole. So Minnesota is still little sisters of the poor in the news, but when you hit a community like r/cfb on reddit with a ton of people who are fans of a smorgasbord of teams and are fully aware of the sport from top to bottom, they get we aren't grandpa's Gophers and are a wholly competent and dangerous team. I say let em keep underrating us!

Oh Mack..

“Brown underlined on Tuesday how that game, which will be played at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, N.C., contains extra significance. Walker is a West Charlotte High School product and his grandmother, who had an impactful role in his upbringing, has been expected to see him play in college for the first time.

The NCAA right now is doing so much for the care of the student-athlete,” Brown said. “Mental health, financially for parents. This fits in all the group of things that they’re talking about helping student-athletes with. And that’s why we feel like this should be a no-brainer. And we need it done sooner than later because it’s really stressful for him. And it’s not about us. It’s not about playing. It’s not about practice. It’s about him and his mental health.”

Top Bottom