Venting thread

I don't care what the score was. I'm pleased with the win because we proved we can actually put up some points. Yeah it was ugly. We played horrible defensively and made many, many, many mistakes and still came up in the end and won. I don't care who it was that we played against but we overcame the adversity/mistakes.

They were above average in 2009 and 2010, which I realize isn't helpful right now

That's a win! I'll take it boys. I'll gladely eat my words when we come out on top and I predict a loss. There were some things that looked pretty decent -- like the fast break offense and the squad's overall athleticism. I also liked Rodney's clutch play and Mbakwe's toughness. Welch looked capable at times and so did Maverick. This team may still be a serious mystery, but they are 5-0!!!!!!!

The Gophers still can't shoot though :(. It's almost bizarre how bad they are from deep.

The game was clearly moving a little fast for our guards in the first half...but they played much better in the second half. Love Welch playing better...good to see him healthy.

Young guards, lack of front court depth with Big Mo sitting out the year and poor 3-pt shooting will make this team frustrating at times...but if the young guards can figure it out and stay aggressive and if we can keep Rodney, Ralph and Trevor healthy this team should get better every game.

I like the make up of the team and love the focus on getting to the hoop. Tubby and the rest of us will just have to live with mistakes made being aggressive and accept that defensive tempo is the core of this team...and will determine our ultimate success or failure.

I, for one, like the action and love the tempo...am looking forward to see if we can force our will on Indiana St....who will be far and away the best team we have faced this year and who loves a slower half court tempo.

Originally Posted by ghnewbie
Can we finally accept, once and for all, Tubby has lost it as a head coach? Yes, this was a win, but there remains no offensive flow, in-bounds passes are an adventure at best, no three-point defense even with weeks to work on it and most damning of all, players like Sampson get worse under Tubby's tutelage. He's the most overrated coach in D1.

No credit for half time adjustments and getting this team to rally? Have fun with that attitude. Go crawl back in your hole until the next time they are down. They shot 50 percent from the field and dominated the paint. I'd say the offense was fine.

+1

My vote for worst post of the year by ghnewbie. unbelievable...:(

Dr Don would be happy if Auggie Tech lineup was out there as long as Tubby was coaching!

We escaped the second worst team in the Big East by one point. We would have lost but for the fact that Dr. Don didn't quit on us!!

jamalo said:
Dr Don would be happy if Auggie Tech lineup was out there as long as Tubby was coaching!

We escaped the second worst team in the Big East by one point. We would have lost but for the fact that Dr. Don didn't quit on us!!

And Jamalo would be happy as long as we changed coaching staffs every 5 years!

Fire Coach K!!! He's obviously lost it. Duke only beat Belmont by 1 at home...

I think some need to stay away from the forums during games. Not to say that everything is all fine now because they came back and won, but perhaps it would be better to just let a game play out before posting a snap reaction to a few minutes of play.

Our guards struggled with the press, obviously. And our rotations on defense were terrible. But despite that, in the 2nd half, they found a way to get a W, something they weren't doing down the stretch last season in any game. Just hope our backcourt can grow up quickly cause as has been said repeatedly, that's the key to the season right there.

And hopefully Dre Hollins can learn to guard without his hands, I think he's struggled with foul trouble in multiple games this year now. Makes it difficult to get a rhythm when you're kinda hit and miss out there.

One thing I don't understand the complaints about is the 12 man rotation. Yes, it seems foolish sometimes, but it clearly wears down our opponents. I haven't been able to watch most games, but when I have it seems we have a lot more energy at the end of games then the other team.

And Jamalo would be happy as long as we changed coaching staffs every 5 years!

Nah, Jamalo would be happy if a highly paid coach came here and actually earned his salary rather than using it as a pre-retirement grazing spot. We are in trouble as a program if Tubby gets extended.

Why such a short leash with Andre?

Tubby took him out of the game like 1 minute into the second half. Let the kid have some growing pains, IMO he will be really good. I wasn't as excited about Julians play as much as the announcers, he made some poor decisions with passes and not meeting the ball on passes. And free throw down stretch with him was awful, even the ones he made bounced around. Let Andre play and develop him.

I don't want to wait until Andre's jr year until he becomes good, let him play through mistakes, its not like we have a stud in front of him.

Side note: LOVED chips play in the 2nd half, and glad Tubby put him in. I know Chip can be wild at times, so I like when we put him in for the middle of the halves. He is one of our only players that gives 100% on rebounds and I love watching him in transition. No way Joe should get PT over him.

captain.hindsight said:
Tubby took him out of the game like 1 minute into the second half. Let the kid have some growing pains, IMO he will be really good. I wasn't as excited about Julians play as much as the announcers, he made some poor decisions with passes and not meeting the ball on passes. And free throw down stretch with him was awful, even the ones he made bounced around. Let Andre play and develop him.

I don't want to wait until Andre's jr year until he becomes good, let him play through mistakes, its not like we have a stud in front of him.

Side note: LOVED chips play in the 2nd half, and glad Tubby put him in. I know Chip can be wild at times, so I like when we put him in for the middle of the halves. He is one of our only players that gives 100% on rebounds and I love watching him in transition. No way Joe should get PT over him.

He picked up his 3rd foul early. That's why he was pulled.

This is a random thought but it seems to me that Rodney and Austin really filled out over the off-season. After Trevor picked up his fourth when I saw them come back on the court I thought Rodney was Ralph at first glance. Granted Ralph isn't that big but Rodney was so small before. Also with Hollins I thought last year he was thinner than Rodney but he seems to have filled out some.

Coaching Strategy??

I believe we were up by one with less than a minute to go (I might be wrong on the score). Julian sat with the ball between the 3 pt line and half court line and did nothing. Than continued to drain the shot clock down and waste the possession.

My question - WHY DOESN'T TREVOR TOUCH THE BALL? We have "the best player in the tourny" and we have maybe our 2nd or 3rd string pt guard taking the shot and ignore Trevor. I get that Tubby wanted to save his last time out, but how don't you have a set play you work on in practice for that situation? That was a TERRIBLE, wasted possession.

I'm not trying to start a Tubby debate, I just feel we got really lucky for wasting a valuable possession.

This game was easy money, went just about the way I expected it would go. A young, inexperienced backcourt, 5th game of the season, against an Oliver Purnell coached team? When I saw the other day that Purnell was the DePaul coach and the line was Gophers (-9.5), I took DePaul and the over. Easy money. Anybody that watched the Clemson teams under Purnell knew that they were going to bring the pressure. Gophers responded about like I figured they would.

Very good second half for the most part. Two turnovers for the Gophers in the last 15 minutes of the game. Against a team like DePaul, this early in the season, that's impressive.

Gophers make some FT's and this game is a comfortable win after a sluggish first half. Win and move on. Mission accomplished.

As far as the rotation, when you're looking at 3 games in 4 days, that should bode well for the Gophers. I would bet the Gophers are much fresher than tomorrow's opponent, Indiana State, who basically played 7 guys this morning.

Good win. I'm satisfied.

Wow, a few of you have to quit your whining. Tubby had the guys attacking the basket in the second half, and they played much better defense. Most importantly, they won!

Check out the bottom half of the Old Spice bracket. Wake Forest got beat, and Fairfield, who we beat well and a few of you thought nothing of, is up by 15 on ASU. If they hold on the only BCS Conference school to win in the tourney today would be the U. Enjoy a frickin' win.

Nah, Jamalo would be happy if a highly paid coach came here and actually earned his salary rather than using it as a pre-retirement grazing spot. We are in trouble as a program if Tubby gets extended.

Thank you, Jamalo. It's completely acceptable to have higher standards than the folks here willing to accept the bottom half B1G finishes we've endured over the past four years from a highly paid coach.

Wow, a few of you have to quit your whining. Tubby had the guys attacking the basket in the second half, and they played much better defense. Most importantly, they won!

Check out the bottom half of the Old Spice bracket. Wake Forest got beat, and Fairfield, who we beat well and a few of you thought nothing of, is up by 15 on ASU. If they hold on the only BCS Conference school to win in the tourney today would be the U. Enjoy a frickin' win.

Amen.

Thank you, Jamalo. It's completely acceptable to have higher standards than the folks here willing to accept the bottom half B1G finishes we've endured over the past four years from a highly paid coach.

"Higher standards". Give me a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing break. The reality is that you're a whiny little b!tch. How in the hell can a person possibly have higher standards than undefeated? Get over yourself. Come back and whine some more when the Gophers actually lose a frickin' game.

Man, I'm so sick of all the basketball coaching experts who post here.

"Higher standards". Give me a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing break. The reality is that you're a whiny little b!tch. How in the hell can a person possibly have higher standards than undefeated? Get over yourself. Come back and whine some more when the Gophers actually lose a frickin' game.

Undefeated without missing a single shot. Duh.
/sarcasm

I wanted to throw a point out there.

Minnesota players were a lot more aggressive yesterday, especially Rodney. They did a great job of taking advantage of opportunities.

Opportunities DePaul continued to give them time and time again by never boxing out, rarely rotating defensively, and defenders off the ball consistently with their head either A.) not looking at the ball at all or B) Both eyes looking straight at the ball and players getting back cut.

Again, the Gophers deserve credit for taking advantage of opportunities. DePaul has won two Big East games in three years because they haven't had the talent (as we can see it's improved though) and their defensive efforts are very very undisciplined.

Rarely will Minnesota play a high major team again this year that boxes out this little, whose big man (Faber) help defends with maybe a hand, whose guards (Kelly) stand on the perimeter staring at the ball and whose man cuts right behind him unnoticed, and whose defensive rotations are this bad.

In every Gopher game this year they have worn out their opposition with depth.

I always hear people rag on Tubby's offense but sometimes fans have to take a second and admire the defense. Think back to how bad it was with the previous coach. And think back to what DePaul did. Those things don't happen at Minnesota with Tubby as coach.

Now there's a sophisticated response. Resorting to adolescent name-calling....wow, do you feel better now?

If you had read the post just a little more carefully, you'd see I was referencing Tubby's performance over four years here when I talked about higher standards, not the start to this season, which hasn't yet told us very much about this team. Four straight finishes in the bottom half of the B1G and not a single NCAA win. I think it's OK to want more than that from an accomplished, highly paid coach. And to be concerned that it hasn't happened in four years.

We can agree to disagree, but it's generally more interesting when it's done among grown-ups.

+1, and bigtime issue for this program. Hope our new AD will take a serious look at Smith's mediocre body of work here and pass on an extension, at least for now. Tubby cannot coach offense, period. Watch our quality of shots coming out of timeouts if you doubt this. That's a key, as is how well coaches adjust at halftime. While yesterday was decent, his overall work screams "no clue", particularly in the Big Ten.

I wanted to throw a point out there.

Minnesota players were a lot more aggressive yesterday, especially Rodney. They did a great job of taking advantage of opportunities.

Opportunities DePaul continued to give them time and time again by never boxing out, rarely rotating defensively, and defenders off the ball consistently with their head either A.) not looking at the ball at all or B) Both eyes looking straight at the ball and players getting back cut.

Again, the Gophers deserve credit for taking advantage of opportunities. DePaul has won two Big East games in three years because they haven't had the talent (as we can see it's improved though) and their defensive efforts are very very undisciplined.

Rarely will Minnesota play a high major team again this year that boxes out this little, whose big man (Faber) help defends with maybe a hand, whose guards (Kelly) stand on the perimeter staring at the ball and whose man cuts right behind him unnoticed, and whose defensive rotations are this bad.

In every Gopher game this year they have worn out their opposition with depth.

I always hear people rag on Tubby's offense but sometimes fans have to take a second and admire the defense. Think back to how bad it was with the previous coach. And think back to what DePaul did. Those things don't happen at Minnesota with Tubby as coach.

not sure what there is to admire. this an average at best defensive team. I wouldn't be heaping too much praise on them at this point.

Top Bottom