Vander Blue commits to Marquette

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Good news for Gopher fans, the Badgers miss out on a top instate talent.:clap:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeTgx_pj6m8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeTgx_pj6m8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:cool03:

This is excellent news! Don't worry Bo Ryan will fill the scholarship with another nonathletic big man!

That's hilarious. They have a kid coming in next season named Evan Anderson. He's the prototypical nonathletic big man.

Yeah, Anderson does look like a robot out there. I've seen him play plenty of times.

Really, really tough blow for UW. Vander would be as good as just about any prospect coming into the conference next season. The Badgers now only have three guards for next season, which is obviously not enough. I think UW will be better than most expect this season, but I have trouble seeing them as a relevant team going forward in the Big 10.

First of all wasn't Minnesota at one point recuiting Vander Blue-BTW thats a great name. I could be easily be wrong. Can someone set me straight.

And UWOle I have come to the conclusion that you can never count out a Bo Ryan coached team. He simply uses that unique swing system so well that any team he coaches will be in contention for a invite to the big dance. He always seems to get the most out of talent in Madison. I see Wisconsin as team that will be a bubble team at the end of the season most likely and possibly if they can't get on a little bit of a roll a fringe top 25 team.

This is excellent news! Don't worry Bo Ryan will fill the scholarship with another nonathletic big man!

Sad truth is, he's produces a damn good results with "Monson-like" recruits.

That said, damn Marquette has risen from the sewer the past 6-7 years and become a beast. Impressive, considering the city is a dump and the campus is in crummy neighborhood too.

I am not shocked he did not pick UW, but am surprised he chose Marquette. I know he is obviously from Wisc and has connections/friends on the team, but I thought he would have chosen a higher profile school like Arizona.

I am also impressed Crean and now Williams are able to get the topline Madison talent out of Madison. From Matthews to Maymon to now Vander.

On a last note, while I don't like him, posters are correct about Bo Ryan. He'll maximize the talent he has and always compete for a top-half finish in the Big 10.

too bad, so sad. they are crying in their milwaukee's best light over on beckyville! :cry:

man, talk about blowing it with the top wisconsin recruit this summer. you have the local madison press basically bad-mouthing and "pushing" the becky recruit to recind his UW verbal and re-open his recruitment. and the "cherry on top" is that he then heads on over to becky's hated in-state rival. as an outsider who couldn't give a rip about vander or becky, it could not have gone any better. nice work on this one bo! :clap:

First of all wasn't Minnesota at one point recuiting Vander Blue-BTW thats a great name. I could be easily be wrong. Can someone set me straight.

And UWOle I have come to the conclusion that you can never count out a Bo Ryan coached team. He simply uses that unique swing system so well that any team he coaches will be in contention for a invite to the big dance. He always seems to get the most out of talent in Madison. I see Wisconsin as team that will be a bubble team at the end of the season most likely and possibly if they can't get on a little bit of a roll a fringe top 25 team.

i think so, but it was pretty mild in terms of how hard they went after him. i like to think that tubby was doing it just to "rub a little salt in the wounds" of a shunned becky staff. ;)

Sad truth is, he's produces a damn good results with "Monson-like" recruits.

In my opinion, one of the biggest misconceptions in the last decade in the Big Ten is that Bo Ryan's teams lack talent and it is all coaching. I do think Bo is a great coach, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's doing it with Dan Monson-like recruiting.

Bo rarely beats out the likes of Toledo, Colorado State and NDSU for recruits the way Monson had to. Bo beat out Michigan State, Marquette, Illinois, etc., to get his recruits. For example:

2008 - 4-star Jared Bergren (#74 nationally), plus three 3-star recruits
2007 - 4-star Jon Lueur (#82), 4-star Keaton Nankivil (#92), plus two 3-star recruits
2006 - 4-star Trevon Hughes (#58), 4-star Jason Bohannon (#88), plus one 3-star (#116)
2005 - 5-star Joe Krabbenhoft (#23), plus one 3-star
2004 - 4-star Greg Stiemsma (#45), plus two 3-star recruits (including #124)
2003 - 5-star Brian Butch (#9), plus two 3-star recruits

So, in that six-year span, he got two 5-stars, four 4-stars, and 11 3-stars. So, 17 total players with 3-stars or more (and about 11 Top 125 players!)

In the Monson years in that same time frame, Minnesota got a total of 1 five-star (Humprhies) and ten three-stars (at least three of which never made it to school), zero 4-stars, and a handful of unrated players. So, 8 total players with 3-stars or more (and about 4 Top 150 players). Really not even comparable.

Plus, Bo got others prior to that including Michael Wilkenson, Alando Tucker, Devin Harris (inherited), etc.

So to say Bo has had no talent to coach is just a simple misconception. He has had a lot of it over his tenure at Wisconsin, IMO.

In my opinion, one of the biggest misconceptions in the last decade in the Big Ten is that Bo Ryan's teams lack talent and it is all coaching. I do think Bo is a great coach, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he's doing it with Dan Monson-like recruiting.

Bo rarely beats out the likes of Toledo, Colorado State and NDSU for recruits the way Monson had to. Bo beat out Michigan State, Marquette, Illinois, etc., to get his recruits. For example:

2008 - 4-star Jared Bergren (#74 nationally), plus three 3-star recruits
2007 - 4-star Jon Lueur (#82), 4-star Keaton Nankivil (#92), plus two 3-star recruits
2006 - 4-star Trevon Hughes (#58), 4-star Jason Bohannon (#88), plus one 3-star (#116)
2005 - 5-star Joe Krabbenhoft (#23), plus one 3-star
2004 - 4-star Greg Stiemsma (#45), plus two 3-star recruits (including #124)
2003 - 5-star Brian Butch (#9), plus two 3-star recruits

So, in that six-year span, he got two 5-stars, four 4-stars, and 11 3-stars. So, 17 total players with 3-stars or more (and about 11 Top 125 players!)

In the Monson years in that same time frame, Minnesota got a total of 1 five-star (Humprhies) and ten three-stars (at least three of which never made it to school), zero 4-stars, and a handful of unrated players. So, 8 total players with 3-stars or more (and about 4 Top 150 players). Really not even comparable.

Plus, Bo got others prior to that including Michael Wilkenson, Alando Tucker, Devin Harris (inherited), etc.

So to say Bo has had no talent to coach is just a simple misconception. He has had a lot of it over his tenure at Wisconsin, IMO.

Excellent research, however, several of these highly-regarded recruits did -- not or have not -- panned out. None of them look like NBA talent like 4/5-star players are supposed to. Here is my little evaluation of each:

2008 - 4-star Jared Bergren (#74 nationally), plus three 3-star recruits. Redshirted last season.
2007 - 4-star Jon Lueur (#82), 4-star Keaton Nankivil (#92), plus two 3-star recruits. Lueur is decent and could be really good. Nankivil is a role player at this point.
2006 - 4-star Trevon Hughes (#58), 4-star Jason Bohannon (#88), plus one 3-star (#116). Hughes is a well above average player. Bohannon is nothing great (so far).
2005 - 5-star Joe Krabbenhoft (#23), plus one 3-star. Good player with great hustle, but certainly didn't live up to the hype of 5-star talent. Just curious, where was he 5-star; Rivals?
2004 - 4-star Greg Stiemsma (#45), plus two 3-star recruits (including #124). Stiemsma was a role player.
2003 - 5-star Brian Butch (#9), plus two 3-star recruits. Butch was considered a large disappointment after being named McDonald's All-American.

WI has gotten some pretty good recruits. Bo is a hell of a coach. I hate WI, but it is definately a little harder with some great MN kids on that team. Berggren, Leuer and JT are all very good players, and more importantly, great kids!

I hate Wisconsin and despise their football program but in the case of their basketball program I have respect for Bo and what he does, he's all class. I wonder if Wisconsin fans feel teh same way regarding Tubby and our basketball program (because I know almost all of them hate Brewster).

Excellent research, however, several of these highly-regarded recruits did -- not or have not -- panned out. None of them look like NBA talent like 4/5-star players are supposed to. Here is my little evaluation of each:

2008 - 4-star Jared Bergren (#74 nationally), plus three 3-star recruits. Redshirted last season.
2007 - 4-star Jon Lueur (#82), 4-star Keaton Nankivil (#92), plus two 3-star recruits. Lueur is decent and could be really good. Nankivil is a role player at this point.
2006 - 4-star Trevon Hughes (#58), 4-star Jason Bohannon (#88), plus one 3-star (#116). Hughes is a well above average player. Bohannon is nothing great (so far).
2005 - 5-star Joe Krabbenhoft (#23), plus one 3-star. Good player with great hustle, but certainly didn't live up to the hype of 5-star talent. Just curious, where was he 5-star; Rivals?
2004 - 4-star Greg Stiemsma (#45), plus two 3-star recruits (including #124). Stiemsma was a role player.
2003 - 5-star Brian Butch (#9), plus two 3-star recruits. Butch was considered a large disappointment after being named McDonald's All-American.

Fair points. But, I'll add that the 4-star and 5-star guys were still better than almost anything Monson brought in here. Krabbenhoft and Butch may not have lived up to some hype, but they were still good players. Butch was really good his last two years there (1st team all-Big Ten his SR year). Bohannon was Big Ten sixth man of the year two years ago, Hughes was all-Big Ten freshman two years ago and all-Big Ten 2nd team last year. Lueur is going to play pro ball some where. And, we all know how good Devin Harris was (he was a star on back-to-back Big Ten title teams for Bo).

Plus, Bo's 3-star guys (Landry, Tucker, Taylor, Flowers, Wilkenson, Penny, etc.) were very, very talented. Tucker was Big Ten Player of the Year. Flowers won a defensive player of the year award. Wilkenson was twice a 1st team all-Big Ten player.

My point remains that Bo Ryan is not having success with Dan Monson-like recruits. He outrecruited Dan and outcoached him. Not a great combo if you're a Gopher fan.

I hate Wisconsin and despise their football program but in the case of their basketball program I have respect for Bo and what he does, <b>he's all class</b>. I wonder if Wisconsin fans feel teh same way regarding Tubby and our basketball program (because I know almost all of them hate Brewster).

he's a first class whiner. thats for sure.

I have respect for Bo as a basketball coach as far as player development and game strategy goes, but the way he rides refs and reacts to calls is juvenile in my opinion. I much prefer Tubby's sideline demeanor.

I think your point is fair that he hasn't been terrible at recruiting, but those seem like inflated rankings. For example, I remember when we were recruiting Krabbenhoft...solid player for sure, but no way should he have been a 5 star coming out of HS. Jared Berggren 4 star? No way, not athletic enough. He and Leuer were more like 3* types coming out of HS. (If these are Rivals rankings, that explains it...good for football, not reliable at all for basketball).

Thus I would disagree with the implication that many of these guys have failed to live up to their ratings; I'd say the ratings you cite aren't reliable to begin with, that these were solid but not spectacular recruits and they have played solidly but not spectacularly.

I have respect for Bo as a basketball coach as far as player development and game strategy goes, but the way he rides refs and reacts to calls is juvenile in my opinion. I much prefer Tubby's sideline demeanor.

Oh I totally agree with you, Tubby is far better on the sidelines but most coaches these days whine to the refs about anything that goes wrong. It's like an epidemic, we need to go back to the days of John Wooden where no coach complained to the refs about every call that went against them.

I think your point is fair that he hasn't been terrible at recruiting, but those seem like inflated rankings. For example, I remember when we were recruiting Krabbenhoft...solid player for sure, but no way should he have been a 5 star coming out of HS. Jared Berggren 4 star? No way, not athletic enough. He and Leuer were more like 3* types coming out of HS. (If these are Rivals rankings, that explains it...good for football, not reliable at all for basketball).

I think you're memory is faulty.

Krabbenhoft was universally thought to be a top elite player. Rivals had him #23 in the country (#5 SF). Scout had him #38 in the country (#8 SF).

Bergren was a 4-star in both. Rivals had him #74 in the country (#15 C), Scout had him #69 in the country (#15 C). He chose Wisconsin over Minnesota, Purdue, Iowa, Iowa State, Miami (FL), amongst others. He verballed early, otherwise his offer list would have been even better.

Leuer was a 4-star in both. Rivals had him #82 in the country (#23 PF) and Scout had him #110 in the country (#26 PF). He chose Wisconsin over Minnesota, Arizona State, Indiana, Iowa, Iowa State, Louisville, and Notre Dame.

I am having some sort of mixed feeling about the news that Blue has chosen Marquette. It is not just our conference losing a good recruit. While we are on the rise, I would like the Badgers to field a good team, so that we can beat them with something worthwhile at stake. Say, we beat them at the Kohl for the regular season BT title. By one point. I am sure they will whine about it till we all die. A lovely thought. Well, the opposite can happen, I guess. I will settle for another sweep after another after another... :)

I have only followed recruiting the last couple of years, so I was pretty shocked to see Joe CrapAndAlwaysOff was a 5 star recruit! That is just unbelievable to me. He sure didn't live up to the expectations of a 5 star. I would have guessed he was a 2 star recruit. All he was good for was dirty screens, rebounding, and garbage baskets.

All he was good for was dirty screens, rebounding, and garbage baskets

Ahh, but it would have been fun to see him along side Tollackson. None the less he was dirty!

Oh man, I don't think there is any way I could back a team that featured Tollackson and CrapAndAlwaysOff. Two of my least favorite basketball players of all time.

I have only followed recruiting the last couple of years, so I was pretty shocked to see Joe CrapAndAlwaysOff was a 5 star recruit! That is just unbelievable to me. He sure didn't live up to the expectations of a 5 star. I would have guessed he was a 2 star recruit. All he was good for was dirty screens, rebounding, and garbage baskets.

Ask Purdue PG Lewis Jackson about if Krabbenhoff is dirty. Krabby set a pick at midcourt then throw his elbow hit Jackson in the side of the head, knocking him out and keeping him out of about 3 games. Bo didn't do anything nor the Big Ten. There reasoning was that Jackson was taller it would have been a nonissue. That play was as dirty as any other I was last year minus the Michigan elbowing the OSU guy in the face on free throw.

Agreed

Krabby's elbow on Lewis was the dirtiest play I have seen in the Big Ten in a decade, and with no repercussions. As a witness to a couple of BTT games at courtside over the years involving the Badgers, I know he was also one of the most foul mouthed players I have ever heard. He made Garnett sound like a polite high society kid.

Bo showed what he was made of when there was no discipline for that move. Michigan immediately suspended their guy who took the cheap shot at OSU. Any respect for the guy was gone after that series of incidents.

I will shed no tears for any WI misfortunes on the court.

When Bo Ryan didn't yank Kam Taylor off the floor for showing up Monson late in a game at The Barn, well, it showed all one needs to know about Bo. And before UW fans tout the ugly Monson to Krabbenhoft phone conversation after he committed to UW, save yourself...I'm not suggesting that Monson was anything to be proud of either as far as taking a high road. But Bo certainly is not either.

Go Gophers!!

And before UW fans tout the ugly Monson to Krabbenhoft phone conversation after he committed to UW, save yourself...I'm not suggesting that Monson was anything to be proud of either as far as taking a high road. But Bo certainly is not either.

Go Gophers!!

i've never heard this story. please share.

When Krabby called Monson to tell him that he was going to be a Badger, Dan was less than pleased and he let Krabbenhoft have it. It got pretty ugly and Monson later called the family and Bo Ryan to apologize for his reaction.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom